ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest

After watching the first two games, I am wondering if our defense has been too indecisive.

Do we try to compensate for the loss of ANO on the interior? or compensate for the loss of K0 on the perimeter?
Instead we get caught in between and compensate for neither.

That would explain the larger than expected drop in defense...so far...

After watching the first two games, I am wondering if our defense has been too indecisive.

Do we try to compensate for the loss of ANO on the interior? or compensate for the loss of K0 on the perimeter?
Instead we get caught in between and compensate for neither.

That would explain the larger than expected drop in defense...so far...

We really need to stop leaving guys open on the perimeter, or commit to stuffing the interior and grabbing rebounds. We have been caught in between, as you have pointed out, and it has allowed our opponents to shoot well from 3 and also rebound well inside. We need to take one of these things away to get back to our old defensive efficiency, taking both away would be a miracle and a recipe for a truly top tier defense. If we can do this while maintaining our offensive efficiency we will be a very good team. I hope Mooney has straightened things out by tonight's game.

Double down on the bigs. We did it very effectively towards the middle of last season.

We really need to stop leaving guys open on the perimeter, or commit to stuffing the interior and grabbing rebounds. We have been caught in between, as you have pointed out, and it has allowed our opponents to shoot well from 3 and also rebound well inside. We need to take one of these things away to get back to our old defensive efficiency, taking both away would be a miracle and a recipe for a truly top tier defense. If we can do this while maintaining our offensive efficiency we will be a very good team. I hope Mooney has straightened things out by tonight's game.

Overall I think we need to get back to allowing 30% from 3 instead of 45% and just limit not stop the interior damage.

But tonight the interior will probably be the focus.

On offense against these teams that defend the interior with big bodies, Allen has had to fight through double teams instead of us making more outside shots. We will see what the strategy is tonight.

Like said by others, a team with 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting shouldn't use the excuse of new pieces in starting out slow. With the key injury and others out, Wake's subs presently are 2 frosh and a couple of upperclassmen who were sitting on the bench till now. This should be a WIN or maybe my expectations of UR's success this season was not realistic.

Like said by others, a team with 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting shouldn't use the excuse of new pieces in starting out slow. With the key injury and others out, Wake's subs presently are 2 frosh and a couple of upperclassmen who were sitting on the bench till now. This should be a WIN or maybe my expectations of UR's success this season was not realistic.
Many wake fans seem to think at least one of their freshmen will leave early for the NBA. Their freshmen are very good.

Reactions: spiders13
We really need to stop leaving guys open on the perimeter,

Amen, I have never seen so many wild run outs to try to get an open man on the perimeter, as I saw in the first couple of games. If we have to take one of those things away, it should be the 3 point shot, because in past years we have been very good at that. I expect us to get beat on the boards, but we need to make them up in other ways, and one of them is having a great 3 point defense.

We will need a big game from Wood tonight to pull out a win Assuming Wake is going to pound the ball inside and hit the glass, Cline and Allen are going to need help. Taylor can help - but not so much on the offensive end. If Wood can provide solid minutes off the bench and hit some outside shots - it will be a huge plus for the Spiders.

This might actually be a good game for PF to come in off the bench and provide some interior size, and perhaps even provide some fouls to give if need be.

Still having nightmares about our last game at Wake and how we botched that one. I think they were better that year than they are now and we were worse than this year, at least in theory, so let's hope we can exorcise those memories tonight.

Got to force Thomas out of lane to take jump shot. Now I wonder who they will put on TA. If they double team TA then
we got to find open men quickly. I would not be surprised if we hit outside shot, that Wake goes to small lineup. I can see
both teams playing uptempo simply to keep bigs from getting setup.

quite frankly, we have stunk up our OOC for several years, not winning any of the games we needed for evaluation down the road. will keep my excitement in neutral until the team shows me we can win one of these games. it starts tonight and hope that the trend is broken.

I was at the JMU game last Friday, while I left disappointed, I still feel that we are a team establishing chemistry and cohesiveness. I am not not going to let the "FIRST" game of the season determine the totality of 2015-16. I will remain positive that this will still prove to be a banner year,

And I think a big key will be the play of Deion. If he can give us the type of performance he gave us against Stetson (solid interior d, a couple blocked shots, 7 plus defensive rebounds and maybe 4-6 points), I think our odds are better. Thomas is going to be a tough match-up. Deion is the only one of our team that has the strength to guard Thomas and frankly Thomas is just a bigger dude than Deion, so he is going to be a tough match up for Deion. Thomas has the size and strength to push Terry and TJ around.
TJ and TA are both taller and heavier than DT? Are you saying they are tough enough to guard Thomas? If not they need to step up. DT would have a great role coming off the bench but he doesn't produce enough on offense to have him and Trey in the game at the same time.

we keep saying that we can't have TD and DT on the floor together because it hurts the offense, yet we're doing it and scoring plenty. somehow defense is the problem right now. shouldn't be. and I don't think it will be tonight.

Reactions: fan2011
TJ and TA are both taller and heavier than DT? Are you saying they are tough enough to guard Thomas? If not they need to step up. DT would have a great role coming off the bench but he doesn't produce enough on offense to have him and Trey in the game at the same time.

I'm saying they are not strong enough to guard Thomas without help. TJ routinely gets pushed inside by other team's big men and Terry doesn't always bring 100% on defense (mainly because he shoulders a hefty load of offense). If either of them have to guard Thomas, I hope they are fronting him. If they are playing behind and he gets the ball, we either need to double team him or he is going to score pretty easily.

When ANO left, Deion became our interior defensive enforcer guy, that is what I was referencing. He needs to enforce defense tonight.:)

So my prediction that PF would get significant minutes came true, after all the fouls, we needed to go deep into the rotation.

I'm not sure 5 mins is significant but I thought he did well when he was in.

I wonder if part of the reason, we're seeing such high scores this year, is the ridiculous number of fouls being called. Thus points are being racked up with clock stopped.

I wonder if part of the reason, we're seeing such high scores this year, is the ridiculous number of fouls being called. Thus points are being racked up with clock stopped.

That is true for D1 as a whole, but not for our team in particular. We are just a lot better at shooting and a lot worse at defending so far this year.

maybe like the spread Os in football where there is no D, we are scoring a lot more and giving up a lot more and if you are winning, that is OK

Shot well, got points from a number of players, (congrats Trey) and a large number of steals BUT we cannot continue to get pounded on the boards. Fortunately WF didn't convert on a number of their offensive rebounds, it they had we lose. (we can't count on other teams having that many turnovers) Boxing out is a fundamental skill that just takes effort. Out front court is supposed to be our strength, come on guys stick a butt on them.

Hopefully Manning will get them turned around and this will be a big win by the end of the season. Manning is a class act.

Shot well, got points from a number of players, (congrats Trey) and a large number of steals BUT we cannot continue to get pounded on the boards. Fortunately WF didn't convert on a number of their offensive rebounds, it they had we lose. (we can't count on other teams having that many turnovers) Boxing out is a fundamental skill that just takes effort. Out front court is supposed to be our strength, come on guys stick a butt on them.

Hopefully Manning will get them turned around and this will be a big win by the end of the season. Manning is a class act.

Wake won't lose many games shooting 62% from 2 and 46% from 3. We won't win many games if we keep on allowing teams to shoot like that. We won the game with shooting and turnovers.

Wake won't lose many games shooting 62% from 2 and 46% from 3. We won't win many games if we keep on allowing teams to shoot like that. We won the game with shooting and turnovers.
20 turnovers and VERY poor free throw shooting were major factors.

I think there are a couple of things defensively that are positive to take away from this. First the number of steals and 27 points from that which shows we were active with our hands and being aggressive. Second, Rebounding the first half vs the second, we were down 24-8 at end of first half and at end of game the differential was the same, meaning we did a much better job the second half of protecting the boards. Lastly, WF is a large team that subs with players the same size or bigger, we had to help out in the block simply to keep them from point blank shots. Thus there were players open for 3s. What was the higher percentage shot and what was our poison to choose. So I believe you have to look at the two halves and we were a better defensive team the second half and played them even on the boards. Kwan Fore and Trey Davis are a nightmare to teams with their quick hands and feet and may be our best defenders.
We will face a similar foe in GW who chose to keep UVA off the boards and force them to beat them off the dribble or outside. GW then worked hard on the inside. I think we matchup well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT