ADVERTISEMENT

US U-20 World Cup

seems 4-0 is like 45-0 in a football game where everyone plays, what is up with that?

I'm not sure how they treat subs at that level, but I'm pretty positive that for the big times, you're only allotted three subs. She just happened to not be one of the three that were put in.

Yes, International soccer limits subs to only 3. This isn't like our domestic rules for college and lower were players can come in and out of the games multiple times throughout the game. Once you are subbed out for your game is over. Many subs don't come in until late in the 2nd half be ause you also have to be careful with injuries. If you have used all 3 of your subs and then suffer an injury you play down a man until that injuries player can get back into the game.

In terms of this game it was actually only 1-0 at halftime based on an own goal from Ghana. It wasn't until the 2nd half when the US turned it on and took over. Penn St forward Maya Hayes ended up scoring all 3 goals in the 2nd half including one in extra time to get the hat trick.

thanks, that makes sense now. must say though, football/soccer needs to get rid of their archaic, annoying, very annoying and stupid OFFSIDE rule and this substitution rule. i enjoy soccer but have to say the OFFSIDE and the nil to nil games just will never win over yanks.

Becca got her first action for the women's team by subbing in in the 86th minute. Had a head over the bar in her limited action. Pretty good that she got in considering the game was tied.

US WMNT

At 0-3 back here and with Nova and the Tribe on the horizon,am sure that Albright wants to fast forward Becca's return ASAP from the land of the rising sun.

This post was edited on 8/27 10:38 PM by 32counter

Been a tough early schedule for the women and played Wake and VT very tough without her. It will help them once A-10 games begin. They will bounce back!

In college soccer, if you are subbed in the first half you cannot come back in the remainder of the first half. If you are subbed in the 2nd half you can come back in.

would a purist, relay to me why subs are done in this manner as opposed to just having free substitution?

Recorded the 2-1 win over North Korea and watched it tonight(Friday). I don't know much about soccer, in fact this is the first game I've ever watched, but I was on the edge of my seat during this game. US led most of regulation, but Korea tied it up in latter part of regulation. The game ultimately went on for 126 minutes and those girls didn't stop running. Very intense match. Becca didn't play while I was watching(I missed first 20 minutes and last 10 minutes due to taping problems).
However the camera focused on her on the sideline for a few seconds late in the extra period.

The ladies are in the finals and have earned a rematch against Germany. They lost 3-0 to the Germans in group play. Becca did not play in the semis, so here's hoping she gets another cap in the finals.

On a side note, nice victory by the ladies over Big East foe Villanova 3-1. They are starting to step it up!

USA beats Germany 1-0, wins women's U-20 WC. This is awesome for Becca Wann!

My HS is currently ranked #4 in the country in soccer, so I was perusing TopDrawerSoccer.com and saw a recruiting section.

The men's team didn't have any guys listed, but the women's team had several 4 star commits. The first is freshman Ashley Riefner, who was the VA state POY last year. She's starting as a freshman this year. The was one of the 4 stars.

There were two other names I didn't recognize - Kaleigh Kurtz and Meaghan Carrigan. Apparently they are c/o 2013, so will be freshmen next year. Kaleigh is a 4 star defender and Meaghan is a 4 star forward. Meaghan is ranked #94 in the country.

As an aside, they have player rankings for current collegians. Becca was not ranked in the top 100 before last season started. Midseason, she still was not ranked. At the conclusion of the season, she was ranked #70. She started at #54 this season. It will be interesting to see how she progresses after her time on the U-20 team.

It appears as though the team's recent success and Becca's exposure has helped Coach Albright land some really talented players here lately.

A, your info reminds me why i put no confidence in any rating service, just too many high school athletes out there. sure will get some but way too many kids who will bloom later or just get better with growing up and better coaching.

Glad to have Wann back in a Spider uniform...she outscored ODU 2-0 today.

SF, you would have to think that a great experience for BW but that she has to have some pent up playing and scoring frustration inside there, a nice season debut............she is special

Went down for the game...lets just say the team has kicked it up a notch with her in the line up. Every set play/ corner kick is in play with her in the line up. There aren't too many ladies out there that can defend her at the goal. My daughter is on the team and she is very happy Becca is back!

This post was edited on 9/18 10:22 AM by SpiderPhoto

Thanks Photo, keep us up to date on the progress of the team.

Wann is just ridiculous. For the second straight game she outscored the other team 2-0 in today's win over American.

She is a game changer...not alot of girls like her in todays game that can control the game in the air like her

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT