ADVERTISEMENT

UR's greatest point guards

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
For UR, the point guards are the key to our team's success. We have had some pretty good ones over the years. I thought it would be interesting to list them and their coaches.
Greg Beckwith, Dick Tarrant
Ken Atkinson, Dick Tarrant
Scott Ungerer, John Beilein
Cedrick Lindsay, Chris Mooney
Kevin Anderson, Chris Mooney
Kendall Anthony, Chris Mooney
Jacob Gilyard, Chris Mooney
Shawn Dre Jones, Chris Mooney
Johnny Moates, Lew Mills
Carlos Ceuto, John Beilein
Marseilles Brown, John Beilein
Warren Mills,
Kevin Eastman, Lew Mills

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Atkinson hands down. But probably not a fair question if you haven't seen them all play. I would have a hard time voting for Warren Mills or someone else I had never seen.

For UR, the point guards are the key to our team's success. We have had some pretty good ones over the years. I thought it would be interesting to list them and their coaches.
Blake Francis, Chris Mooney

Anyone else?
Blake Francis is not our point guard.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Blake Francis, Chris Mooney

Anyone else?
Eastman - Mills/Slone?
Anastasio - Mills
Moates - Mills
Higgins - Hooker

Don't remember seeing Mills play

Go Spiders!

Francis? As a few others said him listed makes no sense.

But Gerald Jarmon does. Gotta add him. 4 year starter under Tarrant. Not a scorer but floor general and played great D. Part of the biggest win in school history.

His son is actually committed to a D2 school in PA for hoops.

Eastman - Mills/Slone?
Anastasio - Mills
Moates - Mills
Higgins - Hooker

Don't remember seeing Mills play

Go Spiders!
Satchmo, Moates and Eastman would definitely be part of the list, but a different era. Moates was very good shooter
and scorer. Where Eastman was very athletic and a strong defender, but not the greatest shooter. He had the toughness of
Kenny Atkinson. Plus Eastman had McCurdy, Gray and Stewart to get the ball to.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Kevin Anderson's number hangs in our rafters. So, if we want to start with the greatest of them all, that would be my argument for KA.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Does point forward count? Scott Stapleton played a pretty good point forward while Kenny Atkinson was busy being one of our best PGs.

Stat Reference says Stapleton was incredible.
Sophomore to Senior Seasons 326 assists 0 Turnovers...o_O

Dobbins was the point guard on the 2004 NCAA team. Although not a true point - that was his position that year (remember the Kansas game and final shot- that was him bringing the ball up and taking his man off the dribble). Merritt was the back up and sometimes would come in and move Dobbins off the ball.
But Dobbins has to be on this list. He did a little bit of everything that year. Aside from being back to back A10 defensive player of the year - he was also averaging 11 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals and 2.5 assists

I think Kevin Aderson edges Kenny Atkinson ever so slightly. But Atkinson was tough. Just tough as could be and a winner. He always seemed to be able to make a big play to win the game. Kevin Anderson had the same qualities and feel just a smidge more talent.

What, no love for Larry Slappy? o_O
How about some props for Carlton Mack?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I believe he may have been the first African-American scholarship basketball player for the Spiders...surely historic, but not sure he ever started...

Played for Coach Mills during some very difficult seasons...

Go Spiders!

In fairness to Lew, he snagged Bob McCurdy as a transfer from Virginia. McCurdy led the nation in scoring in 1974-75 with a 32.9 point average.

Feel fortunate to have personally witnessed and enjoyed UR's only national MBB scoring leader and our only National Championship in football.

I'm looking for the trifecta. Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
In fairness to Lew, he snagged Bob McCurdy as a transfer from Virginia. McCurdy led the nation in scoring in 1974-75 with a 32.9 point average.

Feel fortunate to have personally witnessed and enjoyed UR's only national MBB scoring leader and our only National Championship in football.

I'm looking for the trifecta. Go Spiders!
Impressive.

K0 had more heart than most anyone on that list. If he was 6 inches taller, he wouldn't have played here.

Our OT win over VT in 1990 is one of the best performances I've ever seen by a PG, and probably the best by a Spider PG.
It was pretty much Kenny Atkinson vs. Bimbo Coles at the end of the game.
Choppin same teams but earlier in late 70s, two OTs and a NIT Champion VPI team with
Alan Bristow, Charlie Thomas and good guys of Eastman, McCurdy, Gray and Stewart. RC was stuffed
full and one of top 5 games I have witnessed in the RC.

How about some props for Carlton Mack?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I believe he may have been the first African-American scholarship basketball player for the Spiders...surely historic, but not sure he ever started...

Played for Coach Mills during some very difficult seasons...

Go Spiders!
C-Man started some. He was (probably still is) a very nice person. Most of the basketball players were, unlike many of the FB players of that era, who had an incredible sense of entitlement. John Palazetti was a notable exception.

The 1973 win over Tech might be the greatest basketball game I've ever seen. The RC was absolutely crazy. Then we beat them again next year at home, on "Dump Lew Mills" night.

Choppin same teams but earlier in late 70s, two OTs and a NIT Champion VPI team with
Alan Bristow, Charlie Thomas and good guys of Eastman, McCurdy, Gray and Stewart. RC was stuffed
full and one of top 5 games I have witnessed in the RC.
Nice - before my time; but I love hearing about others' favorite games.
Found this article about the game I referenced: ATKINSON SPARKS SPIDERS PAST VA. TECH IN OT.
"I didn't care if I was going to miss it or not," Atkinson said of his overtime outburst. "If we were going to go down, we were going down with me." Love that.
Atkinson had 11 of our 14 OT points; Coles had 8 of their 10.

My first year on the radio was Micheal Perry Freshman year, (John Campbell senior year to relate it to PGs).
My first game in person was the Maryland NIT game...

Johnny Moates, Lew Mills
Warren Mills,
Kevin Eastman, Lew Mills

Anyone else?

Glad to see Carlos Cueto on this list, though he was a Dooley recruit! He actually had his best years under Dooley, really, since the arrival of Beilein and Marseilles bumped him to the bench. He was a pretty classic PG, rarely scoring much, but just enough to not be left totally wide open at all times. It's nice to see his name still up there on the all time assist lists.

Glad to see Carlos Cueto on this list, though he was a Dooley recruit! He actually had his best years under Dooley, really, since the arrival of Beilein and Marseilles bumped him to the bench. He was a pretty classic PG, rarely scoring much, but just enough to not be left totally wide open at all times. It's nice to see his name still up there on the all time assist lists.
IIRC, Carlos was the MVP of the CAA tournament.

Kevin Anderson by far was the best UR PG ever. Kenny Atkinson comes next followed by Greg Beckwith. There are many decent ones on the list, but they are the top 3.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Kevin Anderson by far was the best UR PG ever. Kenny Atkinson comes next followed by Greg Beckwith. There are many decent ones on the list, but they are the top 3.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

keefusb think I’d agree w your top 3. Tho Gilyard will have something to say about it when his career is done.

Fwiw however I viewed this thread as a macro list of our better pgs not a micro top 3 list.

So, my question is if we make a team of UR`s best point guards, would that be sufficient to win, night in and night out?

You could survive a little with guys like Ungerer and Dobbins who are bigger and played point, but can defend other positions.
But in the long run - it would not work.

The NBA gets away with the small line-ups now because of the increased importance of 3 point shot and spacing on the floor - remember that their 3 point line is about 3 feet longer in some spots - so that makes people have to guard you 3-5 feet further out than the college game and therefore spaces the court even more for drives, ball screens, etc. Makes it harder to defend if you have to defend 27 feet away from the basket as opposed to 22.

Johnny Moates, Lew Mills
Warren Mills,
Kevin Eastman, Lew Mills

Anyone else?
I only see two really top quality guards for Tarrant, while there have been 5 under Mooney.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT