ADVERTISEMENT

UR's greatest point guards

Kevin Anderson by far was the best UR PG ever. Kenny Atkinson comes next followed by Greg Beckwith. There are many decent ones on the list, but they are the top 3.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing
Gilyard belongs on that list. Will lead spiders in assists and steals and has an insane assist to turnover ratio. Only thing he lacks is big wins and that opportunity was taken from him this year. Hopefully, he gets those big wins next year solidifying himself as a top 3 pg in spiders history

Reactions: plydogg
Kevin Anderson by far was the best UR PG ever. Kenny Atkinson comes next followed by Greg Beckwith. There are many decent ones on the list, but they are the top 3.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing
I think Beck would laugh at you for ranking him above Gilyard.
Jacob's my #2. Anderson's #1 right now. not sure I'd take him in a draft over Gilyard though. I'd argue Jacob's the better shooter, passer and defender.

The thing about KA is that he had the ability to take the team on his back when he needed to and carry the scoring load - he had a flip that switched that was really unique. He was a killer at the end of games.

We have had some great ones, but 4 stand out for me. The interesting thing is each one of the greats might have been the best option for his team at that time. It is hard for me to put them in order, so I will go chronologically.

Beckwith was great with Johnson and Newman, and how many PGs would do better than his 9 assists and 4 steals while playing all 40 minutes in the tourney win over Auburn? He wasn't asked to score as much, but he was so solid out there.

Atkinson was so great with the guys he played with, and went to a sweet 16 and another dance. Just so clutch and such a great player. I don't think we would have wanted anyone else at PG then.

Anderson came along at just the right time, and was just what we needed to get us back to the tourney. A great all around player who was the perfect piece alongside Harper.

Jacob is certainly up there with all of them. Steals, assists, leadership, and all around game. Plays a ton of minutes,protects the ball, and just does everything you would want a PG to do.

I think this is the top 4 with guys like Ced Lindsay, Kendall, and Shawndre close behind. I loved watching these guys play, and they, along with others mentioned were either not true PGs their entire careers or did not quite have the careers to make the top 4. And Eugene Burroughs should get some love for calmly swishing those FTs against Syracuse. He may not be up there with the greatest, but who can forget him making those FTs.

Reactions: urfan1
1. Gilyard. Last year was incredible but watching him play this year i think he is the best pg we have ever had and there is no other pg in the country I would rather have than him. Obliterated the steals record. Will obliterate the assists record. One of the best assist to turnover ratio in school history. Only thing lacking is the NCAA tournament but we have the pandemic to blame for and not him.

1. Gilyard. Last year was incredible but watching him play this year i think he is the best pg we have ever had and there is no other pg in the country I would rather have than him. Obliterated the steals record. Will obliterate the assists record. One of the best assist to turnover ratio in school history. Only thing lacking is the NCAA tournament but we have the pandemic to blame for and not him.
Gilly is certainly making a case for himself. Still think KA is number 1. Gilly will never match KA's scoring and big shot abilities. But he probably is a better defender and distributor than KA was.

Of those that I have seen play, I'll take Ken Atkinson # 1. Kevin Anderson is a close # 2, Gilyard is a distant # 3

This is a very subjective ranking that depends on the valuation factors. If you think it is primarily about scoring you will not pick Gilly and that is fine. I personally think he is the best we ever had.

1. Should hold the NCAA All-time steal record if it were not for covid
2. Should be U of R's All-time Assist leader
3. Didn't he lead the A10 in scoring during conference play his sophomore year?
4. Top 10 NCAA defense players 2019 and potentially 2020 defenseman of the year.
5. One of the top assist to turnover records in the country.
6. Potentially top 10 UR All-time scorer

Get the banner ready!

Of those that I have seen play, I'll take Ken Atkinson # 1. Kevin Anderson is a close # 2, Gilyard is a distant # 3
it's a strong group.
I haven't decided who's 1 or 1A between them, but Jacob's one of those and KA's the other. will have to see how this season ends.

Gilly is certainly making a case for himself. Still think KA is number 1. Gilly will never match KA's scoring and big shot abilities. But he probably is a better defender and distributor than KA was.

Per 100 possessions...

Assists - 8.0 / 5.1
Free Throws Attempted - 4.3 / 7.4
Steals - 4.8 / 2.7
Points - 21.3 / 29.3
O Rating - 115.9 / 107.8
D Rating - 102.2 / 98.8 (second player only has two seasons logged here)
Win Shares Per 40 Minutes - .151 / .119 (Players win contribution per 40 minutes played)
Box +/- Per 100 - 5.4 / 4.3

This is a very subjective ranking that depends on the valuation factors. If you think it is primarily about scoring you will not pick Gilly and that is fine. I personally think he is the best we ever had.

1. Should hold the NCAA All-time steal record if it were not for covid
2. Should be U of R's All-time Assist leader
3. Didn't he lead the A10 in scoring during conference play his sophomore year?
4. Top 10 NCAA defense players 2019 and potentially 2020 defenseman of the year.
5. One of the top assist to turnover records in the country.
6. Potentially top 10 UR All-time scorer

Get the banner ready!
Its very sad Gilly’s two best years are 20 and 21.

KA the second was as clutch a player as I've ever seen at Richmond. The most clutch. I think Gilly is a better all-around player, but I'm having a really hard time elevating one of them over the other. And K0 was right there with them. We've really seen an incredible run of point guards over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
I agree with what EL says, I would add to the clutch player status, Johnny Newman and Kenny Atkinson.
Correct. Kevin Anderson wanted the ball in his hands, when the game was on the line. Same with Johnny Newman. This year's team is different, anyone can contribute.

Tarrant would run the clear out for Atkinson it seemed like at the end of every half, and he seemed to always deliver. I am not a big fan of "hero" ball, but Tarrant used it super effectively with Atkinson, and then Blair.

I think Gilly is in the conversation with the KA's. He just dominates in a little different manner, with his play making and steals. I was not as big of fans of his steals his first two years, as it did lead to a lot of blow byes, and the team really struggled in general with containing penetration. This season he has made some many steals that changed momentumn or closed out the game it is a huge weapon. As Mooney mentioned in an interview, the team is very in synch with covering up for his steal attempts, and Jacob seems to have a sixth sense on his ability to start to go for a steal and then recover when he realizes it is not there. Gilly's legacy is really been impacted by covid when comparing to the KA's. No opportunity last year, and hopefully has the opportunity this year.

That's an interesting observation about his steals. Someone with a lot more basketball knowledge than I can probably address this, but does having a really aggressive thief torpedo the matchup zone? I would think "Let Jacob Steal" is the correct decision when you've got one of the greatest steal guys in the history of college basketball on the floor. Maybe the change to man defense had to happen in order to "Let Jacob Steal." Our defense wasn't THAT bad until '18 and '19.

I remember sitting right behind the bench at the VCU game (the Buckingham cramp game when we came back and won). I was just riveted by Gilyard. The kid was such a leader; it was hard to believe he was a true freshman.

I am a huge Jacob stan. Statistically, he's probably the best. But at some point, wins have to matter. The two KAs have our only two Sweet 16 appearances. I think JG needs one to elevate to their level. I sure hope he gets the chance.

interesting point, Chop. I'd think a zone would be better with a steal guy. the help is more natural. plus a ton of his steals were from him reading passing lanes in the zone. you'd think he'd have less in man to man. but no.

I'd like to know our points per possession following a Jacob steal. we turn so many of those into points.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanw19
Anderson, Atkinson, Gilyard for me. Did not see the folks before Atkinson, so not qualified to weigh in on those.

Gilyard moves up if we make Elite 8

Last edited:
interesting point, Chop. I'd think a zone would be better with a steal guy. the help is more natural. plus a ton of his steals were from him reading passing lanes in the zone. you'd think he'd have less in man to man. but no.

I'd like to know our points per possession following a Jacob steam. we turn so many of those into points.
I would, too. It's just fascinating that our most dramatic year-over-year improvement on defense happened when we both changed our philosophy AND had JG here (before and after).

There may be no correlation at all.

In my anecdotal observations, Gilyard is so quick and so good at getting back in position quickly that he can afford to make a few daring attempts at a steal without it really costing us. On the occasions when he tries this, it's typically farther away from the basket, so it's not going to lead to an immediate blow-by bucket. He picks his spots well these days. But I can't remember whether this was his M.O. his first two years or not.

Reactions: KWeaver and urfan1
In my anecdotal observations, Gilyard is so quick and so good at getting back in position quickly that he can afford to make a few daring attempts at a steal without it really costing us. On the occasions when he tries this, it's typically farther away from the basket, so it's not going to lead to an immediate blow-by bucket. He picks his spots well these days. But I can't remember whether this was his M.O. his first two years or not.
That was his M.O., now the team mainly has adjusted to him.

As a young Spider (first day on campus was August 2012) who was from California and didn’t follow the team, I don’t have really know much about these guys because I never got to see them play. But I did want to share the first clutch shot I saw Richmond hit, and the one I will never forget.

First let me set the stage.

It was January 2013, Richmond was a disappointing 12-7 and VCU was ranked. This was my first ever game against VCU, and I had no idea how crazy it would be. It’s a solid game but we are down 65-58 with 35 seconds left. The VCU fans are getting cocky, they know they’ve beat us.

Ced hits a layup and we’re down 5. Treveon Graham hits one free throw but misses the second. Greg Robbins pulls down the rebound in a stadium that is maybe named after him. Kendall Anthony (this is the only KA I know) shoots a 3. It misses but he’s fouled by Troy Daniels (a future NBA player). Kendall steps to the line and hits all 3. It’s a 3 point game. VCU gets to the line and makes one. 4 point game with 19 seconds left.

Nelson-Ododa gets the rebound and throws it up court the Kendall. He drains a 3. One second off the clock and it’s a 1 point game. VCU back to the line again and Daniels makes both. 3 point game and one shot left for us.

That’s when Darien Brothers decided to have his moment. He hits a DEEP 3 to send the game to OT. Balls of steel to make that shot and at that point everybody knew the Spiders were winning.

But that shot by Darien Brothers is one I will never forget. We went crazy, and that is the only true signature moment I have felt in my 8 years of Spider fandom. I know he’s not a PG, but with all the talk of clutch I just wanted to give the man some love

That was his M.O., now the team mainly has adjusted to him.
Also think Gilly has become better at steals as he has aged. Also agree with the point above that both KA's are where they are because of where they got us in the postseason. Gilly is going to have to do that this year. It is a shame that COVID disrupted this season last year because I think we had potential to make an NCAA run.

I think we have greater potential this year though.

Let’s not forget that Gilly does have the potential to return for another year - could really cement himself in the record books. Would imagine could also put his name in the rafters as well.

Out of a PG, from purely a stat perspective, I'm looking for: assists, steals, outside shooting, foul shooting, and points.

He's going to be the all time program leader in assists and steals, and finish in the top 3 in three pointers, and the top 15 in points, all the while creating for 3 other 1000 point scorers, plus another who will get to 800 points in a Spider uniform. I'm going with Gilyard.

Reactions: 64Spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT