ADVERTISEMENT

UR v. Coastal Discussion

His preview was pretty comprehensive but he lost me when saying Strauss is reminiscent of the Elon QB. Good grief.

will only say, if they run an offense like odu does, we are history, we never figured out what we wanted to do with that O, could only try and outscore them. in for a long, long, day, if that is what they run and it sounds like it.

My comment about Strauss being like the Elon QB is not about his skill level obviously, but the fact that "He
would rather stay in the pocket and wait for someone to break open than run the
ball."

Originally posted by bodoyle:
My comment about Strauss being like the Elon QB is not about his skill level obviously, but the fact that "He
would rather stay in the pocket and wait for someone to break open than run the
ball."
He does have a broken ankle.

And he has a grand total of 19 rushing yards (excluding sack yardage). And Mike Quinn from Elon has 114 rushing yards, again, excluding sack yardage.

Fair enough. I follow you.

But it's sort of like saying Tom Brady's game is like Josh McCown's because neither of them can run for a first down.

I'm picking. It was a good preview.

May be the best win. Or the luckiest. As long as it's Richmond.

GAME DAY! I see our O line dominating their undersized D line. Fisher and Hamlin will have big days and Strauss will be Strauss. Spiders 38 Coastal 28. GO SPIDERS.

see that Bob is in harrisonburg to do the basketball game this afternoon, wonder who will do the football? basketball is on the FM station, guess that football will be on 950.

Not sure what announcers are where, but basketball game is 2pm Sunday.

Basketball game is Sunday. No conflict. Unfortunately I won't be at either game.

sorry, just assumed basketball was a saturday game, need an assistant to ensure that i am reading, digesting info properly. glad to know will hear Bob's voice.

I wanted to follow-up on the analysis by a Coastal Fan on their web site. We expect Richmond to use a ball control offense to keep Coastal off the field. Our strategy will closely match Liberty's efforts against Coastal. This is the same strategy that we employed against Liberty, which ended in a UR victory 46-39 in 2OT's.

We expect UR to start fast. UR has outscored its opponents in the 1Q of games by a margin of 129-43, through 13 games this season. Richmond outscored Liberty 15-0 in the first quarter. Liberty outscored Coastal 3-0 in the 1Q.

If Richmond's defense can control Coastal and if Richmond can dominate time of possession, and NOT TURN THE BALL OVER[/B], Richmond has a very good chance of winning the game.

[/B]

Some of Coastal's fans believe they will beat UR by at least 10 points.

[/B]

Time of Possession:[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty,[/B] Liberty dominated the time of possession (TOP) 36:53 to 23:07. Coastal's averages 28:51 in TOP, while LU averages 31:03.

In Richmond's game against Liberty,[/B] UR dominated time of possession 35:15 to 24:45 (LU). This was above UR's average TOP of 32:17.

Total Offense:[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty[/B], Liberty gained a total of 455 yards. This was slightly greater than its season average of 423.9 ypg. In contrast, Coastal gained only 312 yards, which was far below its season average of 468.1 ypg.

In Richmond's game against Liberty,[/B] UR gained a total of 498 yards, which is slightly above its season average of 461.3 yards. Liberty gained a total of 414, again above its average.

Passing[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty[/B], Liberty won the passing battle. LU went 20-34-1 for 285 yards, while Coastal went 13-23-0 for 171 yards.

In Richmond's game against Liberty[/B], UR won the passing battle. Strauss went 35-48-0 for 325 yards, while LU went 15-25-1 for 193 yards.

Rushing[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty[/B], Liberty won the rushing battle. Liberty rushed for 170 on 51 attempts, while Coastal went 141 yards on 32 attempts. Liberty matched its season average of 170.8 ypg, while Coastal was well below its average of 209.6 ypg.

In Richmond's game against Liberty,[/B] UR lost the rushing battle, gaining 173 yards to LU's 221 yards. UR exceeded its season average of 154 ypg.

[/B]

First Downs[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty, [/B]Liberty gained 24 first downs, while Coastal gained only 16.

In Richmond's game against Liberty,[/B] UR gained 28 first downs, while LU gained 17.

[/B]

Third Downs:[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty, [/B]Liberty was 12-21 on third downs, while Coastal was 5-12.

In Richmond's game against Liberty,[/B] UR was 13-19 on third down conversions, while Liberty was 0-10 on third downs.

Richmond leads the country in 3rd down conversions.

Scoring[/B]

In Coastal's game against Liberty[/B], Liberty scored 15 points, while Coastal scored 14. Liberty averages 32.8 points per game, while Coastal averages 37.8 points per game. Both LU and CCU scored below their season averages.

In Richmond's game against Liberty, [/B]UR scored 46 points, while Liberty scored 39. UR scored above its season average of 32.3 points, as did LU.

[/B]

Turnovers[/B]

UR has turned the ball over 35 this year (17 in 3 games). Coastal has turned the ball over only 16 times.

IF Coastal wins the turnover battle, it will be a long game for Richmond.

Competition:[/B]

Richmond fans believe the Spiders have played tougher competition than Coastal. UR has played and lost to Virginia (ACC) and New Hampshire (29-26). UR defeated Villanova 10-9. Coastal's toughest opponent, to date was Liberty.

Coastal has had a bye week and is more healthy.

Expect a close game.[/B]

[/B]

[/B]

If we don't make mistakes, we win the game, period. We have better athletes, better overall talent and have played a MUCH more challenging schedule.

all of which means absolutely nothing if they have a spread offense and we can't stop it. really don't know what they run but sounds like a spread like odu and we never, ever figured out how to stop them. we don't want a game where we have to score 40 to win, not a good recipe. who other teams play or what conference they play in will not determine who wins this game, if we can stop their offense and we don't turn it over, that is the recipe.

Those ODU teams were legit on offense. I don't see anything to indicate Coastal is like that. They could only put up 14 at home against Liberty. That tells me all I need to know.

They run a read option type of offense. They don't pass nearly as we do. If we don't turn the ball over, UR will be well-positioned to win.

21 Zip . It is obviously not going to be our day today. The offense is flat and the defense is exhausted early in the second half. It's a pity . I think we all expected more today. I at least thought we would be competitive. Time to go Christmas shopping fellows. It was a great year and I look forward to next year. Go Spiders !

21 to 8 . Christmas shopping will have to wait ! What can I say, I am a fan !! Go Spiders !!!

Footing is bad on grass for us.Our Oline has not stopped their on rushing D all day.Our big boys upfront are not use to having tenuous footing.

I really feel for these guys, I've been there. Game is probably over, and there's a lot of time to play, still. There's a tiny sliver of a chance, we can catch up. But it's probably not going to happen, and we still have to give it our best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT