ADVERTISEMENT

UR/GW

72, if we do, start another SWEEP BABY thread tomorrow. by the way, how many games did we play each season, not counting any postseason, during your pitching days. you were, if memory serves, a deliberate worker on the mound, pretty darn good too.

1969: 18 games
1970: 22
1971: 27
1972: 27 plus 2 games in NCAA tourney

It is VERY important that we sweep today. Considering we do not play half of the league, and the tournament only takes the top 7, every conference win is more critical than in recent years. We cannot catch Xavier, for example, unless we have fewer losses, because we do not play them. We are tied with LaSalle, but own the tie-breaker. Same is true with GW, although I expect them to fade. As long as we lose less than Charlotte, the tie-breaker is not needed, good thing as they own it over us. If we win today, we are in really good shape. We'll have St. Joe and St. Louis at home, probably our top 2 series remaining. VCU, Fordham and Temple are all winnable series, some even sweepable. It is a weak conference and I think we have the components of a team that can win the tournament, provided we get there and injuries are held to a minimum.

GW is pitching their monster (and best pitcher) today, so hopefully we'll handle it. We beat him last season easily, but last year doesn't count.

72, that was an impressive stint that you did. How does your arm feel these days? What was your most effective pitch?

Actually those were team games played, not individual. I averaged about 8 games a season mostly starting but with some relief. We've come a long way since then. I relied primarily on my fastball and slider. Struggled with arm issues my last two years but regular cortisone shots helped me get through. Shoulder still hurts today especially when I mishit a 5 iron from the middle of the fairway. Don't feel any pain when I hit a good shot, however.

Sweet sweep, we need those for good position in the league playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT