ADVERTISEMENT

UR extends Radio deal with 950/99.5/102.7

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
RICHMOND, Va. – The University of Richmond athletic department and ESPN Radio Richmond will continue its long-running partnership as the Spiders have extended their relationship with 950 AM and 99.5 FM as the flagship home for Richmond football and men's basketball on the Spider IMG Sports Network. The new, three-year agreement keeps the Spiders on ESPN Radio through the 2020-21 season.

"We are excited to continue our great relationship with ESPN Radio in Richmond," Vice President & Director of Athletics John Hardt said. "Our partnership with ESPN Radio has brought the excitement of Spider athletics to our fans for the past 12 years and we're thrilled that it will continue to be our home on the Richmond radio dial."

The agreement will extend the Spiders partnership with ESPN Radio Richmond to 15 consecutive years. ESPN Radio will carry all Richmond football and men's basketball games along with 30-minute pregame and post-game shows. Additionally, 950 AM and 99.5 and 102.7 FM will host in-season coach's shows for both football coach Russ Huesmanand men's basketball coach Chris Mooney.

"ESPN Richmond takes great pride in being the exclusive home of the Spiders," said Marsha Landess, Vice President and General Manager of Radio One Richmond, ESPN Richmond's parent company. "With our new additional signal at 99.5 FM, we're now able to give fans the most comprehensive coverage of Richmond football and men's basketball games all season long.

"We've had a long standing relationship with University of Richmond Athletics which we look forward to growing even more over the next three years. Not only are we your radio home for all the games but great Spiders coverage throughout the week."

Bob Black will continue as "Voice of the Spiders," entering his 35thconsecutive Richmond football season and his 36th straight Spider basketball campaign. He is one of 19 active Division I basketball play-by-play announcers at the same school for 35 years. Former Spider captain and All-Conference defensive back Chris Anderson returns for his fourth football season as analyst, with Matt Smith on the sidelines for his 16th year. Spider Hall of Fame point guard Greg Beckwith returns for his 15th consecutive season as basketball analyst. Producer and Spider Sportsdesk studio anchor Matt Josephs rounds out the broadcast team, keeping listeners up-to-date with out-of-town scores and highlights.

New to the partnership will be a once-a-month segment with Vice President & Director of Athletics,John Hardt,updating fans and listeners on Spider Sports and NCAA news. The feature will air on the Black & Drew Sports Huddle, heard weekdays 8-10am on ESPN Richmond stations 99.5 and 102.7 FM and 950 AM.

Close

Last edited:
Most of the things going on with football are good things and if they're not good at the moment they are headed in the right direction. The same can't be said about basketball.

So you like Bob broadcasting football but hate him doing the same for basketball?
Well ya I like him doing football because we have been consistent, high level winners since I have been following Spider football. Can't say the same about basketball. The main reason I don't like him with basketball is because I think he is too quick to protect Mooney and make excuses for him just like so many others. I understand that he is a UR employee and can't say too much negative but I think he could get away with a little more criticism of Mooney, especially since he's been at UR for so long. If not doing the best job and still having a job applies to Mooney then why would t it apply to old Bob Black too?

Bob has been a great voice of the spiders, glad he's going to continue in that role. It is odd in basketball how seldom he does the radio broadcast, because of some TV commitments.

There aren't many if any announcers who are going to come down on the coach they work with.

Well I love the guy, and I enjoyed his baseball broadcasting for the Braves back in the day. I hate the fact that he doesn't do the vast majority of the basketball games though (radio).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT