ADVERTISEMENT

UMass

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
UMass is coming off a long pause. They have not played since February 6th. This is a tremendous opportunity to seize the initiative. UR could be in the top 4 of the A10 with a win on Tuesday. Now is the time.

UMass has the most inflated record of anyone in the league. All six of their wins are against just three teams, Rhody, Lasalle and Fordham. Rhody are Lasalle are meh, Fordham is Fordham.

UMass has the most inflated record of anyone in the league. All six of their wins are against just three teams, Rhody, Lasalle and Fordham. Rhody are Lasalle are meh, Fordham is Fordham.
Add in two against Northeastern makes them 7-1
Then 0-3 vs Bryant, GMU, and Davidson
That is there total schedule - quite bizarre.

Reactions: Gallipoli
There is good reason for optimism. The new schedule works in favor of our Spiders. The team still needs to become reinvigorated. For heavens sakes, stay away from people.

Considering all of the pauses we have had maybe the team has finally achieved herd immunity and wont have anymore covid interruptions.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
2 wins against LaSalle....bssed on our gsme vs them id say thats impressive

Another game, another surefire first round NBA draft pick in Tre Mitchell. Man, the a10 is loaded with can't-miss talent.

UMass just started practicing and hasn't played since Feb 6. This should be an EASY win.

Now to date when we've had Covid advantages - Bona, Hofstra, Duquense - it hasn't played out that way of course. So far apparently it only works in reverse when we have the disadvantage.

But I'm confident on the 4th shot we are due. Kinda of like facing VCU, it will work out 1 of 4 times.

So sorry umass it's going to be a umess.

Reactions: plydogg
UMass just started practicing and hasn't played since Feb 6. This should be an EASY win.

Now to date when we've had Covid advantages - Bona, Hofstra, Duquense - it hasn't played out that way of course. So far apparently it only works in reverse when we have the disadvantage.

But I'm confident on the 4th shot we are due. Kinda of like facing VCU, it will work out 1 of 4 times.

So sorry umass it's going to be a umess.
I wonder if in our scout of UMass they will mention that they haven't played in over 2 weeks. Seems like relevant info you would want to let your players know but apparently, we forgot that with Duqnesue.

UMASS will be a tough game and I hope maybe players are playing with chip on their shoulder
with how A10 screwed us. Would love to get to Dayton and give McGlade the universal salute of
appreciation.

Reactions: I-M-UR
Another game, another surefire first round NBA draft pick in Tre Mitchell. Man, the a10 is loaded with can't-miss talent.
Tre Mitchell hasn't played since January 24. I assume he is suppose to be available tonight?

When we match up size and athletically we’re fun to watch. The lack of crowd vs other states is depressing wake up Northam.

Reactions: Spider B
GG finger looked pretty bad. Bright red. Hope its nothing more than popped out of place and he had to put it back.

Did Gilyard grow a few inches or am I missing something with those 9 rebounds. Guess he would put up a better fight inside that Golden with the occasional swipe before a layup. But seriously wtf how do you let a 5'9 kid grab 9 boards on you.

Really solid 40 minutes last night. UMass had a layoff but that team has talent and we basically took it to them the entire 30 minutes.

Cayo and Grant both had really solid games and also kept Tre both in check and in foul trouble most of the game.

Gilly had a great all around floor game but his offensive shooting slump continued, you could see the frustration with his missing of some FT's at the end of the game.

Burton also had another off night after VCU, hope he can course correct quickly, because we will need him against SLU.

All in all, I thought it was one of our more complete efforts of the year. If we can go out to SLU on Friday and win, I think this team might have one last push in them to try and make it the NCAA. Friday night is HUGE.

Reactions: plydogg
I took Jacob's shooting for granted. never thought he'd struggle with that part of his game.
and Burton's very streaky.
never know what we're going to get from the perimeter this year.

I took Jacob's shooting for granted. never thought he'd struggle with that part of his game.
and Burton's very streaky.
never know what we're going to get from the perimeter this year.
As did I. I think he is in his own head at the point about it. All mental.

Agree. That 3PTA shouldn't even be in his head, especially that EARLY in the shot clock. Then Francis comes right down and throws up a contested layup EARLY in the shot clock. No coaching by Mooney

So, just an observation, but it's comments/conclusions like this that make it easy for people not on this board to dismiss the opinions here as a bunch of whack-jobs who have no clue what they are watching.

The conclusion that because our team had two consecutive trips with questionable shot selection, in a game where we scored 79 points, had a great ratio of assist to made FGs, and had pretty much open shots whenever we wanted, means that there's "no coaching by Mooney" is just absurd. Completely absurd.

And more to my point, it erodes the value of any thoughtful, informed criticism on here about the things that Mooney does not do well or that are not good in the program. There is no other conclusion than "I'm looking for literally anything at all that didn't go perfectly and am going to say it's Mooney's fault." Welcome to SpiderQAnonNation.com, starring Chris Mooney as George Soros.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT