ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Harris - Transfer Commit

While this is not a sexy pickup, he has scored more points in 4 years than guys like Grace and Gustavson did in 5. He will play meaningful minutes this year and does look physically capable of handling most other teams 3/4 on defense.

Mooney did not do well in the portal this year, but I see no reason to take out the frustration on this guy.

One can hope that is the case. You would think if he is a defensively oriented player that it would be noted on our press release especially in light of his underwhelming stats.
Underwhelming?

He averages 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists per game…

…against VCU

Reactions: regatw
4th on the team in steals last years guys at .6 per game. They did really have to dig into the stats to find something good to say, but it just kind of seems comical.

I was actually referring to the kenpom turnover rate. we do stress low turnovers but think gotta be rare to dig & put something like that in a pr. I mean what about usage rate which is probably low too? Anyway I hope he’s good defender.

Our top 3 guys r likely all seniors. King Bigs Quinn. & Harris is a 1 year. Not liking the underclass talent accumulated this offseason but guess we could be surprised. Yet 23-24 could be our best prospects in next few years…yikes. It felt like a win now year tho losing Burton & the guard who went to Utah St. damaged that a lot imo.

Reactions: SpiderK
Agree gkiller, the big huge blows to our season chances were Darius Brown - to Utah State, and then losing Burton.

A starting lineup of:
G- Brown
G- King
F - Burton
F- Bigelow
C - Quinn

would have been very very solid starting five. And we would have better depth with Dji and Roche solid G/F options and Noyes.

Now we are depending on guys not proven yet, and a lot of things to go right.

Reactions: GKiller
Agree with others on the press release. "He ranked second on the team with 0.6 blocks per game and fourth on the team with 0.6 steals per game." "Harris also ranked among the Southern Conference leaders in lowest turnover rate, finishing fourth at 11.3 percent." Those may be true statements, but it just reads like the writer had a word limit to reach and kept grabbing random stats to get there.

I actually do like the pickup. We clearly needed to add depth at the 3-5 spots, and while he is not a huge body he does bring a lot of experience and hopefully a veteran presence to the team.

Problem is, we still have that open scholarship that clearly needed to go to a starter level replacement for Burton. Harris needed to be brought in as a backup/minor role player for a bigger pickup. I'm assuming we are done with roster changes for the coming season and if so, that's a huge void we did not fill.

With no proven stars or go to players, this could actually be a good thing. Little pressure
to exceed expectations and a brand new start and opportunity for most. We as fans have
no idea about a majority of the team and what knowledge we have of returners, revolves around
injuries, little playing time and coming off the bench. I hope these guys will embrace the competition
for playing spots and create a hungry attitude for winning.

Agree with others on the press release. "He ranked second on the team with 0.6 blocks per game and fourth on the team with 0.6 steals per game." "Harris also ranked among the Southern Conference leaders in lowest turnover rate, finishing fourth at 11.3 percent." Those may be true statements, but it just reads like the writer had a word limit to reach and kept grabbing random stats to get there.

I actually do like the pickup. We clearly needed to add depth at the 3-5 spots, and while he is not a huge body he does bring a lot of experience and hopefully a veteran presence to the team.

Problem is, we still have that open scholarship that clearly needed to go to a starter level replacement for Burton. Harris needed to be brought in as a backup/minor role player for a bigger pickup. I'm assuming we are done with roster changes for the coming season and if so, that's a huge void we did not fill.
We can't worry about what we don't have, just rally around the guys we have. I believe in this team!

UR athletic comms told by bball staff...hey go deep & pull an advanced stat on this one will ya.
LOL yes and I will go deeper ....
"Harris also ranked among the Southern Conference leaders in lowest turnover rate, finishing fourth at 11.3 percent, per KenPom." Reason possible being they didn't mention he was listed at Kenpom as "nearly invisible" when on offense at 10.8 poss%.

Sounds like they avoided passing the ball to him much because he couldn't score though that results in he won't have opportunities to turn the ball over either. Remember Mooney had a player like this also. D Taylor was 10.6 and 11.5 poss% last two years. Haven't seen this guy play a minute but I would take Deion's defense and rebounding over Harris.

"Over the last four years, he's played in more games (122), played more minutes (2,972), and collected more rebounds (413) and blocks (65) than any other WCU player." Maybe that being out of the other four starters on last year's team, one had one previous season for WC. The other three had zero .... that's right 2022-23 was first year on team.

This is a good one too ....
"He averaged a career best 7.2 points per game during the 2021-22 season, and grabbed a career best 4.6 rebounds per game in 2020-21." So what did he do of late, say 2022-23. Sounds like he regressed a bit to me.

Hey I know not a feel good, half-full, positive post. Wasn't expecting much at this point and Mooney had slim pickens at this point and a body was needed. Would have liked a bigger body but hopefully can hit the boards hard and play defense. Sure hope Quinn and Walz combo can give Mooney 40 minutes out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT