ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Harris - Transfer Commit

MDspider8

Starter
Apr 11, 2018
Somehow this went under the radar all of yesterday, but we picked up our third transfer portal commitment in Tyler Harris from Western Carolina. 6'7, 200lb wing who averaged 5 points, 2.5 rebounds, and shot 29.3% from 3 last year. He's a grad transfer, so I think only one year remaining.

We technically have one scholarship remaining, but others have said this might be the last piece we add for the '23-'24 season.

78% of his shots last year were from behind the arc. Not great for a 29% shooter from out there.

Other years he was less one-dimensional, so hopefully that was just the role he was expected to play for them this past season. Still not a high-percentage shooter from anywhere.

It probably went under the radar because it is very under the radar. Interesting that we haven't issue a press release yet on his signing.

Reactions: gospidersgo
It probably went under the radar because it is very under the radar. Interesting that we haven't issue a press release yet on his signing.
It usually takes a few days from when a player commits to when the school makes it official. When players post commitment messages on twitter/instagram, I think most of them are not technically signed at that point.

"The set of newcomers includes three freshmen – 6-0 Trevor Smith, 5-10 Mikkel Tyne, and 6-6 Collin Tanner – and three transfers: 6-0 Jordan King (East Tennessee State), 6-0 DeLonnie Hunt (Wagner), and Harris."

why's JOC always doggin my boy Jack Graham?

Reactions: urfan1
Also, I wonder what Bigelow thinks about Harris wearing his number? Maybe they can have a rebounding competition for it during the summer. 😂

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Also, I wonder what Bigelow thinks about Harris wearing his number? Maybe they can have a rebounding competition for it during the summer. 😂
Bigs is 24 and Dji is 4, Jack also wore 4 and of course Tyler wore it at WCU…so my guess is the guy that’s been here for 4 yrs will wear it 😀 …but I’m all for extra rebounding any way we can get it 😂

Bigs is 24 and Dji is 4, Jack also wore 4 and of course Tyler wore it at WCU…so my guess is the guy that’s been here for 4 yrs will wear it 😀 …but I’m all for extra rebounding any way we can get it 😂
Harris had on 24 in his IG commitment. Mabye someone can wear 4.24?

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
To recap, the portal season ends with:

1. A quality PG who can score.
2. A second small guard at a position/size/need that is redundant to #1 (doubly so if you also consider Trevor Smith’s addition at the same position.)
3. A depth guy who most expect will see only a few minutes and have limited impact.

Gotta hope the freshmen are the real deal and returnees are all much improved.

To recap, the portal season ends with:

1. A quality PG who can score.
2. A second small guard at a position/size/need that is redundant to #1 (doubly so if you also consider Trevor Smith’s addition at the same position.)
3. A depth guy who most expect will see only a few minutes and have limited impact.

Gotta hope the freshmen are the real deal and returnees are all much improved.
And if the freshmen are the real deal they will move on and we'll start this hopeless cycle all over again.

Interesting to note that 1/3 of the team are SOCON transfers while half the team is composed of transfers. Bonkers to see the roster turnover not just here but at all the programs.

This isn't a knock against any of the kids individually, but personally, I don't enjoy the state of college basketball when three of our four players are one year rentals, regardless of talent. I don't care if players get paid, but its very hard to maintain an interest in this sport when the roster composition is so fluid, can change by the day, and half your roster is composed of players from leagues you are historically better than.

Interesting to note that 1/3 of the team are SOCON transfers while half the team is composed of transfers. Bonkers to see the roster turnover not just here but at all the programs.

This isn't a knock against any of the kids individually, but personally, I don't enjoy the state of college basketball when three of our four players are one year rentals, regardless of talent. I don't care if players get paid, but its very hard to maintain an interest in this sport when the roster composition is so fluid, can change by the day, and half your roster is composed of players from leagues you are historically better than.
agreed. we'll still have some transfers, but should be just one more year of so many one year transfers.

Reactions: Zeeter
Hopefully NIL doesn’t result in a majority of players going to 4 schools in 4 years.

A10 is better than SoCon. However if continuing to get SoCon transfers makes us equal to SoCon regular season champs last 7 seasons, I’m ok with that.

And can’t believe Charleston has been in CAA for 10 years, still remember them as SoCon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger

we would kick some serious ass in the SoCon 💪💪💪

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
the shooters now go to VCU
Nelson shot .308 on 3-pointers, a difference of 3-4 makes over a 30+-game season.

Another guy we had last year shot .293 on 3-pointers. Tyler Burton. So I guess shooters go to Villanova too.

I hope this guy can help us.

One more year and all the kids who got a free extra year because of Covid finally filter through. That will greatly decrease the number of one-year grad transfers.

Reactions: urfan1
Not everybody would agree that SoCon basketball is below the A-10.
It depends on your definition. But I would suspect that the 3rd best team in the A10 is often better than the 3rd best in the SoCon.

Top 5 A10 final NET:
VCU -- 54
Dayton -- 77
SLU -- 97
Fordham -- 132
Duq -- 137

Top 5 SoCon final NET:
Furman -- 88
UNCG -- 117
Samford -- 135
Chattanooga -- 178
Mercer -- 227
lmao we wouldn't be top 3 in the net in the SOCON!!!!!!! Mooney is awful and has to leave ASAP or move us to the BIG SOUTH

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
UR athletic comms told by bball staff...hey go deep & pull an advanced stat on this one will ya.
4th on the team in steals last years guys at .6 per game. They did really have to dig into the stats to find something good to say, but it just kind of seems comical.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
4th on the team in steals last years guys at .6 per game. They did really have to dig into the stats to find something good to say, but it just kind of seems comical.
the stats aren't impressive, but the fact he started 77 games and played 3,000 minutes does say something. he must be adding value beyond scoring. hopefully he's a strong defender.

the stats aren't impressive, but the fact he started 77 games and played 3,000 minutes does say something. he must be adding value beyond scoring. hopefully he's a strong defender.
One can hope that is the case. You would think if he is a defensively oriented player that it would be noted on our press release especially in light of his underwhelming stats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT