ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Also from the recruiting thread, we were also mentioned a few weeks ago with Columbia grad transfer Ike Nweke:

But the latest update from a week ago said he's being most heavily recruiting by Loyola, ETSU, and Robert Morris. Pretty incredible how heavily we've been going up against Loyola just in the past couple of years. Should only increase with them as conference mates.

Reactions: spiders13
This is assuming Grace is gone? Not sure he is a better player or more athletic than Grace, but he is 3 inches taller. Obviously much more opportunity than Grace, but guessing similar per? Though moon may know Grace is gone .

per 40 mpg isn't similar. Quinn has been much more productive and efficient, even with Grace's upswing.
I assume Quinn would start if he chose UR.

I know it's just getting started, but I'm trying to keep track of our potential transfer targets this offseason. I've seen a few posts on Quinn & Nweke, here are two more I haven't seen any discussion on:

1) Ethan Wright, 6-3 G, Princeton. Averaged 14.6 points, 7 rebounds 40% 3P.

2) DeAndre Gholson, 6-5 G, Milwaukee. Averaged 14.3 points.

Anyone know of any others we are reaching out to?

15 A10 players enter portal already. VCU loses Smith-Brown-Jones and some guy from Washington. URI loses 4 and GW loses 3

Last edited:
I know it's just getting started, but I'm trying to keep track of our potential transfer targets this offseason. I've seen a few posts on Quinn & Nweke, here are two more I haven't seen any discussion on:

1) Ethan Wright, 6-3 G, Princeton. Averaged 14.6 points, 7 rebounds 40% 3P.

2) DeAndre Gholson, 6-5 G, Milwaukee. Averaged 14.3 points.

Anyone know of any others we are reaching out to?
Exactly the kind of guys we should be pursuing. Must land someone like this, I don't think there's any margin for error there. The Princeton guy could not step into a better situation.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I'm glad we're talking to a bunch, but until we get clarity on our seniors we can only offer for one spot and it has to be a big man. anyone know if there's a deadline when our seniors have to declare?

I'm glad we're talking to a bunch, but until we get clarity on our seniors we can only offer for one spot and it has to be a big man. anyone know if there's a deadline when our seniors have to declare?
Agreed with that .. we need bigs bad .. may or may not need a guard.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
I suspect the coaches know who is staying and who is going at this point. I find it interesting that we are hunting guards in the portal. Dji, Nelson, Dread, Randolph, Connor, and Goose. A lot of that is entirely unproven talent but we certainly have a lot of guards on our roster. I suppose Goose/Connor could play the 3 next year for us and Burton the 4 though. If we look at it that way, we basically have 4 freshman competing for our guard spots and would need a veteran in the mix.

re: Ethan Wright ... I know it's the Ivy and I wouldn't expect him to repeat it here, but that's an incredibly high rebound rate for a 6'3" 180 lb guard. 6.9 rpg???
Ethan may be great .. but I personally would rather see an ACC/SEC/BIG10 freshman 6-6 or taller a bit challenged by playing time come our way ... like the idea of transfers who can stay for multiple years.

You know what I'm going to say... especially after watching Providence. We need a few VERY good athletes who are OK at basketball rather than what we have which is very good basketball players who are OK athletically... gotta have 'em! unless our goal is to just make the tourney as the guys are just too big and too gifted athletically. I'm not knocking the goal to just make the tourney if that is the end goal, just sayin'.

Last edited:
I hear you section 9 about getting a multiple year guy. I do think Wright, or a similar type of shooter would be ideal for a year. As pointed out above - a lot of young guards in the program - none that have showed they can shoot like Wright though. Maybe that guy is Crabtree with another year separated from the hip surgeries. Who knows. But I like the quick pull up and pretty good size with Wright. Seems like he would be able to fit in quickly.

I thought the same thing sman, pretty crazy rebound numbers for a guard. OF course, not going to see that on the highlight reels. Guessing he has a good nose for the ball. He has some really nice finishes starting on one side of rim and completing on the other.

You know what I'm going to say... especially after watching Providence. We need a few VERY good athletes who are OK at basketball rather than what we have which is very good basketball players who are OK athletically.
Preaching to the choir here. Mooney values skills over athleticism and toughness inside - obviously. I am ok with that, but would love to always have a Darius Garrett type of athlete available. Maybe he develops the rest of the game, maybe he does not but he can come in for 3-4 minute spurts and add rebounding, defense, and rim protection when needed.

You know what I'm going to say... especially after watching Providence. We need a few VERY good athletes who are OK at basketball rather than what we have which is very good basketball players who are OK athletically... gotta have 'em! unless our goal is to just make the tourney cuz the guys are too big and too gifted athletically. I'm not knocking the goal to just make the tourney if that is the end goal, just sayin'.
I don't know man, Providence came out and made EVERY shot. I don't think that was athleticism – it was just elite-level shooting. Give me some of that.

Mooney values skills over athleticism and toughness inside - obviously.
yeah, it seems to depend on the position.
we have some terrific athletes coming back like Burton, Dji, Isaiah, and Nelson. and we know Noyes can jump out of the gym. but it's been forever since we've had a really athletic big man. and now we're talking to Quinn and maybe Stephens so it doesn't look like that's going to change.

I previously mentioned the Gainey kid from Brown, but since then I've seen the schools reaching out and it's a pretty impressive high major list. but I'd love a defensive game-changing monster who blocks shots and dunks all day like him. if Brown found one, we can.

but I'd love a defensive game-changing monster who blocks shots and dunks all day like him. if Brown found one, we can.
Yep, I would love to find one too. This has been a long time plight with Richmond basketball. I remember running into Kenny Atkinson on fraternity row one night and having a conversation about the team. He basically said the same thing, he wished we could land a big physical athletic big man for once.

I don't know man, Providence came out and made EVERY shot. I don't think that was athleticism – it was just elite-level shooting. Give me some of that.
For an offense that predicates itself on getting open shots, we sure did not shoot very well this year. Sign me up for a few of those. Sherod used to be that for us, but he just wasn't this year at all. Obviously haven't seen any of the freshman, but of the returning players, Goose, Dji, Crabtree, Wilson, known of them are elite level shooters.

Reactions: Eight Legger
For an offense that predicates itself on getting open shots, we sure did not shoot very well this year. Sign me up for a few of those. Sherod used to be that for us, but he just wasn't this year at all. Obviously haven't seen any of the freshman, but of the returning players, Goose, Dji, Crabtree, Wilson, known of them are elite level shooters.
I'd like to see us become a much more physically oriented team. I think it would pay dividends on both defense, rebounding, and obviously the bottom line. I don't see why this can't be mixed in with Mooney's finesse approach. I realize it takes the proper type of athletes to achieve this. Maybe I'm just dreaming for some sort of change.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
yeah, shooting's a problem for next year. even more than it was this year.
I have hope for Crabtree. he hasn't had enough volume here yet to know.
Matt is supposely lights out in practice but tough to trust 28% on the year.
training video of Noyes makes him look like a shooter, but don't know if he'll find the floor yet.

Wright can shoot but does it help if he's taking time away from others at the 2?
Gholston didn't shoot well this year.
Nweke and Quinn are non-shooters.

I only watched the first half cuz I couldn't take it anymore, but those were WIDE open shots yes? Ask yourself WHY we were literally giving them - daring them! - to take them.

Reactions: SpiderK
I only watched the first half cuz I couldn't take it anymore, but those were WIDE open shots yes? Ask yourself WHY we were literally giving them - daring them! - to take them.
we figured Watson would kill us inside if we didn't collapse on him. so we forced Minaya and Durham to beat us ... and they did.

Minaya who can't shoot and had made 2 of his last 15 3's, hits 2-3 against us in the first half.
and Durham who is even worse, hits 3-4 against us to raise his season percentage to 23.9%.

making those two shoot obviously didn't work.

to compound it ... we shot 1-22.

Last edited:
VCU lost another. They are leaving Ole Miss, Idaho, Northern Arizona and Missouri in droves.

Yeah guy who just transferred in last year too. Hopefully it doesn't mean V Williams is coming back now. VCU pushes guys out when they need to though I don't know if that is in play here.

So this guy used his 1 transfer pass right? Now I think to transfer he has to sit out and then only 1 year left. That's a hard sell. wait...the covid extra year. Guess he'd have 2 and be a 6th year guy. The covid bonus year has made it confusing to follow eligibility.

Reactions: SpiderK
Yeah guy who just transferred in last year too. Hopefully it doesn't mean V Williams is coming back now. VCU pushes guys out when they need to though I don't know if that is in play here.

So this guy used his 1 transfer pass right? Now I think to transfer he has to sit out and then only 1 year left. That's a hard sell. wait...the covid extra year. Guess he'd have 2 and be a 6th year guy. The covid bonus year has made it confusing to follow eligibility.
Agreed, VCU does push the ones they don’t want out of the nest early.

I thought I read that you don’t get the bonus Covid year if you transfer? Maybe misunderstood that…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT