ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Hate the Rams, but Santos Silva was a hard worker and strong rebounder. If we did not have a big man, I would have wanted him on our team. It is hard to imagine a starter transferring who is a Junior and not a grad transfer. You have to wonder about team chemistry.

Carolina, I took a gander at their boards last season as they were crashing - a lot of chatter about "cancers" in the locker room, parents twitter rants, playing time beefs, etc. As much as I clamor for the top 100 type recruits, I do think a lot of baggage comes along with it.
Goodman has MSS ranked 9th in Grad/play now transfers - and that includes guys that have already committed. Big loss for VCU. Guy was a worker, and he had big games against there top OOC opponents too.

Wonder if their “sellout streak” will continue next year when they struggle to even get above .500. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving fan base. Anyone notice almost no VCU fans posting here this year?

Ferrum, yes good observations:

1) Sell out streak is complete and utter BS. I tested the theory a few times - tickets available on their official site on day of the game.
2) Yes, except for the guy with the weird pic, pretty quiet these days. Have to imagine District Baller is only Raptors these days with his hero Shaka struggling.

Have to hope moon does not drop the ball on re-loading after this year.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Hate the Rams, but Santos Silva was a hard worker and strong rebounder. If we did not have a big man, I would have wanted him on our team. It is hard to imagine a starter transferring who is a Junior and not a grad transfer. You have to wonder about team chemistry.

Reports I have seen say he is set to graduate in July and will be a grad transfer

Reports I have seen say he is set to graduate in July and will be a grad transfer
Yes, he is a grad transfer and immediately eligible. I've heard rumors of his desire to transfer for a few months. We should beat them a rented mule twice next year.

Yes, he is a grad transfer and immediately eligible. I've heard rumors of his desire to transfer for a few months. We should beat them a rented mule twice next year.

Beating them twice would be nice but I don’t care how bad they are, I’m never underestimating them at the Siegel Center

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
Matt Haarms has announced his final 3 are Kentucky, Texas Tech and BYU (seemingly a distant third). Looks like a good chance he ends up at Kentucky trying to contain Grant next season

Usually it doesn't take this long for grad transfers. If he transferred for more playing time, I doubt it happens at Ky. or TT. Not sure about BYU because I don't know them as well, but I would think he could find more playing time for a team in the WCC, so he should probably go there if he wants to play more.

He is probably now realizing most teams will not be able to offer more playing time than he got at Purdue. The whole thing seems like an ego move to me. He got beat out at Purdue by a better player, and instead of staying there and playing about 15 minutes a game as a back up, he moved on. I just see a lot of "yawn" with this move, and I don't see him being a big factor for Ky. or TT., and probably not BYU either.

Reactions: coach fezz
In their head to head game last year, Santos-Silva had 19 points and Haarms had 6. Like Haarms, I am not high on Santos-Silva being a big factor for a power team, but I wonder if Coach Cal would rather have Santos-Silva's bulk than Haarms' height.

Usually it doesn't take this long for grad transfers. If he transferred for more playing time, I doubt it happens at Ky. or TT. Not sure about BYU because I don't know them as well, but I would think he could find more playing time for a team in the WCC, so he should probably go there if he wants to play more.

He is probably now realizing most teams will not be able to offer more playing time than he got at Purdue. The whole thing seems like an ego move to me. He got beat out at Purdue by a better player, and instead of staying there and playing about 15 minutes a game as a back up, he moved on. I just see a lot of "yawn" with this move, and I don't see him being a big factor for Ky. or TT., and probably not BYU either.

Given how badly fans of Kentucky and Texas Tech want Haarms I think I’ll have to disagree with you on this. Just because a guy gets beat out at one school in one system doesn’t mean he can’t be successful under a new coach in a new system.

Bodes pretty well for him that this late in the process high end teams still want him. Seems very far off base to call it an ego move

Reactions: 97spiderfan
He is likely doing this to see if a big time program (Kentucky? Since they were spreading rumors about Grant) bites. Not to mention - there is some speculation that the NCAA will pass a 1 time transfer rule where players don't have to sit and if it passes, it may take effect to start next season. So decent chance he will not have to sit out.

Given how badly fans of Kentucky and Texas Tech want Haarms I think I’ll have to disagree with you on this. Just because a guy gets beat out at one school in one system doesn’t mean he can’t be successful under a new coach in a new system.

Bodes pretty well for him that this late in the process high end teams still want him. Seems very far off base to call it an ego move

I hear you, and agree with the first part of your post, but it's not surprising to me that teams want him. He would be part of anyone's rotation. Just my opinion that he won't be a big factor for them. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me on this, so I don't see anything wrong with your opinion at all. Time will tell. I'm just not as excited about a big like him in a power conference right now, and think if teams like Ky. and TT want to make deep tourney runs, it will likely be with a guy like Haarms playing about 15-18 minutes or so, and scoring maybe 6-8 points a game. Which is fine, but I just don't see him as a must get and a huge difference maker for these teams. Again, just my opinion. I do think Kentucky will be a risky option for him because Cal still has spots to fill and could still land some bigs a lot better than him, especially if the NCAA allows non grad transfers to not sit out.

I have to think that they are going to give up the one year wait because they are going to have a log jam moving forward depending on how things play out due to covid, and they really need to get people through. Spring sports are really going to be affected on this one, even more than basketball.

Matt Haarms will be announcing his transfer decision tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if he ends up at Kentucky.

He said he wanted to play more outside, and shoot more threes. Purdue did not have a need for that, and I don't think Kentucky or Texas Tech really did either. Going to BYU and the WCC maybe gives him a chance for a little more playing time. But, depending on BYU's roster, he might not find that there either. Sure, he is super tall and can block some shots, but he does not have much of an inside game. That is why I was saying power schools were wanting him for depth, not a starting spot.

I recall MSS' father going on Twitter after game against us and giving kudos to GG for having a great game and tipping his hat for all the battles the two of them have had over the years. Thought that was really classy.

there is nothing classy about a father going on Twitter....Best bet to stay on the sideliness and keep you twitter account shut!

Unusual shooting stats...

About 1 three point attempt per game but made 42.3%
About 11 two point attempts per game and made 56.4%
About 5 free throws per game but only made 58.3% (Made need advice from Cayo...)

Reactions: plydogg
obviously great production, but don't let the 3 point percentage fool you. he's not a shooter. he's a get to the rim guy. daring him to shoot from outside. awful balance on his free throws.

obviously great production, but don't let the 3 point percentage fool you. he's not a shooter. he's a get to the rim guy. daring him to shoot from outside. awful balance on his free throws.
I was wondering with 11 for 26 from 3 if that meant only shooting when he could line it up.

Interesting, I was just looking at the Holy Cross roster last week, as I knew a freshman guard on it. I noticed Pridgen's stats and recalled his name from New England. Good looking wing prospect. I would like more of a shooter, but would take this guy to add to our 2021 class. Good athlete, sounds like a worker. This is the type of transfer we have had good luck with - guy with good production in a lower league - but not garnering 15 p6 offers yet.

Feels like this kid is ours to lose. I would like another slasher, if that's what he is. Goose is that guy now, but he's not much of a scorer (though I think he could be if we needed him to be). Pridgen could be a nice piece.

Reactions: plydogg
Feels like this kid is ours to lose.
Seems like we should have a legit shot with that list, though a couple things:
Location, location, ...: If looking to stay close to home (from Mass.) where his family could drive to games, Northeastern and URI would be logical.
Arkansas: Musselman is a very dynamic recruiter.
Grand Canyon U: New coach and top 5 fans/game arena experience in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT