ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Allen

Ulla1

Head Coach
Apr 21, 2011
Perhaps you already saw highlights of Terry's junior year; if not check out the link below. IMHO, for a 6'8" 240 pound guy, Terry runs like a deer, handles the ball like a point guard, and shot over 51% from the field last year. Terry is ready to dominate this year. Roll Spide!

Reactions: DukeDenver
Terry got disrespected by not getting selected for All A10. Hope he uses this as motivation as he leads us back to the NCAA Tournament

Last edited:
I think he was already playing all A-10 conference, but if his game is elevated even more, he'll deserve MVP of A-10. Tough decisions by opposing coaches, do you double team Terry, then TJ will eat you alive. In the end, for Terry to get his due, we need for the team to win. There will be a bunch of games, decided by a basket. We need to win those games.

Last edited:
will say that he can but not that he will. hope he does, really up to him.

Terry Allen should have a monster year. He & Cline should be a potent 1-2 offensive punch in the A-10.

Terry needs to pull a Dellavadova and have a few sips of coffee before games. When he is aggressive, good things happen. His teammates need to pick him up when he gets tentative.

Terry's going to be a monster this year. Look how he finished last season. 21 and 11, 17 and 10, 18 and 11.
Monster. This is his team now. This is his time.

Reactions: Ulla1
Unfortunately - we said the same thing about Allen the year before. When Lindsay went down, he became aggressive and finished the season strong. He finished that season with 15, 8, 17, 27, and 16.

I do think last year he was a little more consistent, but that might have a been because Mooney allowed him to play more - getting 31 minutes a night compared to 24 the year before.

BUT - I do think the success of our team next year rests on Allen. He is our best player without question, and has the ability to score inside and outside and drive to the basket off the dribble. His outside game needs improvement, but I think he has shown flashes that it is there - he just needs the confidence to go along with it. If he becomes an all-league player (I think 2nd team A10 is reasonable for him) - then I think this team is on the right path and headed back to the NCAA. With some help of course from Cline and ShawnDre.

Need to turn him loose like Justin Harper his senior year. Kept saying the same things about Justin his soph and jr year, waiting for a breakout. Finally his sr year I said he just needs to avg his 10 pts and 5 rebounds and we have enough to be really good. Then he goes out and gets 17 ppg and 7 rpg and shoots 45% from 3. Hope Terry has a similar break out senior year. He and Cline will be a lot for other teams to handle.

I recall Harp going off to a big man camp/training in Boston prior to his senior year, and coming back with some added moves. Wonder if anyone is doing that this year?

Terry's been better than Harp through their junior seasons. Harp had the big senior year, but I'll take Terry over Harp until that.

Harper was always a decent 3pt shooter, Terry doesn't take nearly as many 3s and isn't as good as Harper was from range. I don't think Terry is going to become a 3pt threat like Harper his senior year.

Harper Stats:
Fr: 54% from 2, 37% from 3
So: 48% from 2, 34% from 3
Jr: 58% from 2, 34% from 3
Sr: 59% from 2, 45% from 3 <-- Cline might top this his senior year, but these shooting stats are pretty insane. I don't think Terry will get close to 45% from 3.

Terry Stats:
Fr: 67% from 2, 30% from 3
So: 52% from 2, 38% from 3 (~1 attempts per game)
Jr: 58% from 2, 24% from 3 (~2 attempts per game
Sr: 60% ???, 30% ????

Harper did attend one of the national "Big Man" camps the summer before his senior year, and I think it made a difference. He was much more confident overall in his offensive play, and was much more willing and able to play inside his senior year, whereas for much of his career he was more of an outside threat.

Seemed to really round out his game.

Harper was also one of the best 3-point shooters, second best overall in bench press, and #1 in lowest body fat % at the NBA combine that year. It's too bad he couldn't get more floor time as an NBA player.

Harper did attend one of the national "Big Man" camps the summer before his senior year, and I think it made a difference. He was much more confident overall in his offensive play, and was much more willing and able to play inside his senior year, whereas for much of his career he was more of an outside threat.

Seemed to really round out his game.

Harper was also one of the best 3-point shooters, second best overall in bench press, and #1 in lowest body fat % at the NBA combine that year. It's too bad he couldn't get more floor time as an NBA player.

I think he ran into a bad situation with the Magic when he got drafted. Too much drama between the coaching staff, Dwight Howard and the front office.

Lets not compare Harper and Allen, that is unfair to both them. They are different players with different skill sets. Harper was a much better outside shooter, shooting nearly 40% from 3. Allen will not get near that most likely, but there is no reason to think he can't shoot 30% from deep and be a threat that you have to respect. Maybe take 2-3 threes a game and make 1 most nights.

With Harper in the NBA, I think it shows how tough the NBA is to crack. I think he also ran into a bad situation in the NBA, but he also had a tough time on defense in the NBA because Harper was a stretch 4 in the NBA. So he was good on offense to shoot 3's but then on defense, bigger and stronger guys could take advantage of him. Maybe this year - with a good summer league showing, he gets another chance.

Allen is more skilled than Harper was inside. Harper did improve a lot as a senior, perhaps helped by that camp, but Terry already has great footwork and finishing ability around the rim with either hand.

both big guys can't just take over like a guard who has the ball in his hands can. SDJ, Khwan, Jesse, etc better make sure Terry gets the touches he needs.

since we're just speculating, I would think Terry's skill set fits the NBA better than Harp's. Long time to go, but would love to see him blow up this year and get a real shot at the NBA

I think that is a big question going into the season Spiderman because I think everyone will agree our two best scorers on offense are probably Cline and Allen. But because both of them are big guys and can't take over with the ball in their hands, they need the help of coaches through designed plays and the guards - most likely ShawnDre - to get them not only the touches they need, but also the right kind of touches in the right place.

My concern is that during Mooney's tenure, he has always relied on the PG to be his main scorer and best player. But next year - that does not seem to be the case. Not that ShawnDre is a bad player by any means, but I just think Allen and Cline are better and further along offensively. So what has really been a ball screen heavy offense lately for the PG, how does that adapt in order to make sure Allen and Cline get involved on a frequent basis, since I would expect Allen to be out there 32 minutes a night and Cline not too far behind around 25-28.

yeah, I agree Trap. interesting because this might be our 1st year like this, and it likely won't last long based on the guards already brought in and the ones we're after. we'll be guard dominated again soon, and that's not a bad thing. you have to be strong at guard.

I think that is a big question going into the season Spiderman because I think everyone will agree our two best scorers on offense are probably Cline and Allen. But because both of them are big guys and can't take over with the ball in their hands, they need the help of coaches through designed plays and the guards - most likely ShawnDre - to get them not only the touches they need, but also the right kind of touches in the right place.

My concern is that during Mooney's tenure, he has always relied on the PG to be his main scorer and best player. But next year - that does not seem to be the case. Not that ShawnDre is a bad player by any means, but I just think Allen and Cline are better and further along offensively. So what has really been a ball screen heavy offense lately for the PG, how does that adapt in order to make sure Allen and Cline get involved on a frequent basis, since I would expect Allen to be out there 32 minutes a night and Cline not too far behind around 25-28.

Not entirely sure I agree with this. I mean, sure, they can't "take over" the game the way a guard can, if that's what you mean. But they both have plenty of moves that they can use to get themselves open and take and make shots. And they can both make enough threes to keep the defense guessing. Terry can take guys off the dribble, though it's not the strongest part of his game. TJ is not going to win any dribbling awards, but I think he has enough moves that he can take over a game from a scoring perspective, but you're right that he is not going to be bringing the ball up the court and just creating his own shot.

Eight Legger - I am not saying Allen and Cline are no good on offense, just that you can't expect to throw them the ball on the wing and set a ball screen for them and they create their own shot. Someone like Allen - he needs someone else to throw him the ball on the block, or create a play that has him coming off a screen, or he needs to set a pick for someone else and roll or pop to the basket and hope the guard finds him open. Same with Cline - and he is much more limited off the dribble, but has some good nifty moves down low.

But compare that to ShawnDre, or Anthony last year, or Lindsay and Anderson the years before - the offense was simple then. Let them create and break down their guy off the dribble, or set a ball screen for them and let them come off and create. You can't do that with Allen and Cline, who are probably our best offensive players.

My point is that for the first time probably under Mooney, our best offensive weapons are not guards - so there will need to be some adjustment by the guards and in play calling to make sure these guys get the ball in places they can be effective.

I think our offense will be much better next year. It should be more of the offense Mooney likes to run, less reliant on one guy to create on his own. I think we have more weapons than we've had in a while and will be a much tougher team to guard. This winter should be fun.

Cline should be getting equal minutes to Allen. Take a look at production off the minutes played with Cline last year. We need these two guys in every game as long as they can go.

Cline should be getting equal minutes to Allen. Take a look at production off the minutes played with Cline last year. We need these two guys in every game as long as they can go.

Allen gets 30+ minutes a game. Do you think Cline can play for 35 minutes a game? He was getting better by the end of the season, but playing for that many minutes takes a big toll on most players, especially over the course of an entire season. If Cline and Allen are each getting a 5 minute break every game then our front court will be pretty slow by the end of the game.

Last edited:
Allen gets 30+ minutes a game. Do you think Cline can play for 35 minutes a game? He was getting better by the end of the season, but playing for that many minutes takes a big toll on most players, especially over the course of an entire season. If Cline and Allen are each getting a 5 minute break every game then our front court will be pretty slow by the end of the game.

I spoke with Jay Demayo recently and he was raving about TJ's conditioning. I would probably prefer that he play a few less than 35 minutes per game but i think both he and Terry will be on the court for close to 35 minutes per game.

Both TJ and Terry are stronger and quicker, a beast of a front court!

I like Terry and think he will be an all-conference player for us next season, but I don't see him as an NBA prospect. As his size, he's more of an NBA 3 rather than a 4, and in the NBA, most 3's are athletic freaks. I do think he can make a lot of money for many years playing in Europe.

yeah, I'd pick Allen over Harper as a college player, but Harper as an NBA player. Harper's shooting ability at his size is valuable. Terry's a great athlete, but NBA 6'8" guys are absolutely ridiculous, or they can shoot the lights out.

Allen over Harper as a college player? Hard to say at this very moment - Allen would need to have a MONSTER senior year. Harper his senior year avg. 18 points and 7 rebounds and shot 44% from 3, while also shooting 53% overall and 80% from the line. Allen last year was at 13 points and 7 boards.

Harp was a monster as a senior. Years 1-3 though, Allen's been better.
I think TA will have a big senior year too but not as big as Harper. he just won't shoot like that. few do. but he does everything else.

I think he ran into a bad situation with the Magic when he got drafted. Too much drama between the coaching staff, Dwight Howard and the front office.
I think it was a matter of the fact that he couldn't hit an outside shot, which was the only real standout attribute he had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT