ADVERTISEMENT

St. Bonaventure

Listened to local sports radio for few minutes they were crying about loss, talking about SBs 2 big men and how few could match up with them.
I watched the Bonny-Akron game and even their 3rd big man played well time on court. That's what worries me the most playing them with Quinn by himself having to do most of the work. Think Walz needs to give Mooney some productive minutes.

Reactions: urfan1
I watched the Bonny-Akron game and even their 3rd big man played well time on court. That's what worries me the most playing them with Quinn by himself having to do most of the work. Think Walz needs to give Mooney some productive minutes.
Hopefully neither will be hampered by injury or illness…

Reactions: urfan1
I'll be surprised if Walz is ready so soon based on the Lafayette game. looked like he'd need some time.
any word on when Soulis is back?

btw ... this is why I always push for a minimum of 3 guys who can play the post. can't guarantee that 3 is enough if guys get hurt, but 2 certainly isn't. the 2nd half offense with Harris or Bigelow playing the post was a mess.

assuming Graham remains a walk-on next year, we have 2 spots to fill this spring if we don't lose anybody else. one has to be big.

I'll be surprised if Walz is ready so soon based on the Lafayette game. looked like he'd need some time.
any word on when Soulis is back?

btw ... this is why I always push for a minimum of 3 guys who can play the post. can't guarantee that 3 is enough if guys get hurt, but 2 certainly isn't. the 2nd half offense with Harris or Bigelow playing the post was a mess.

assuming Graham remains a walk-on next year, we have 2 spots to fill this spring if we don't lose anybody else. one has to be big.

we'll have more than 2 spots

no idea on either status but last time w foot sprain Soulis missed 6 games and now he has a new one so I'd expect Walz back before him

Listened to local sports radio for few minutes they were crying about loss, talking about SBs 2 big men and how few could match up with them. But criticized minute distribution also, interesting said JaNel's dad (uncle?) was active on social media complaining about lack of playing time for JaNel.
LOL...that uncle needs to face reality. As long as Nelson is playing the 20+ minutes he is, I don't see VCU being a tourney team.

For the poster who said there was a promotional email for our game...did it come from the ticket office? I have heard radio advertisements for the game with the 8 for $40 pricing but haven't received any emails about it.

The promo email I got was from the ticket office but for another promotion. Didn't get one about the 8-pack.

think 30% unless that changed
Correct, for hoops, they can only play in 10 games (less than 30%) and they all have to be within the first half (16 games) of the season. That's with an MTE scheduled, which we always do...subtract one from each of those if you're not playing the 31-game max.

(The A-10 tournament counts as a single game for calculation purposes, so that's why the first half of the season metric is 16 games out of a denominator of 32.)

Soulis has only played in 3 of our 13 games so far.

Reactions: GKiller
Bonnie’s lit up 12 or so 3 pointers last night. If we lag off 3 point shooters as we normally do, it could be a long night.

Bonnie’s lit up 12 or so 3 pointers last night. If we lag off 3 point shooters as we normally do, it could be a long night.
We don't normally lag off 3 point shooters. That is just what the majority of this negative board assumes when an opponent makes a couple in a row. We are holding teams to 28.6% from 3 this year, 30th in the country, but if you read this board and the nonstop "there's the Mooney leave them wide open for 3s" defense, you would think we were 300th in the country.

We don't normally lag off 3 point shooters. That is just what the majority of this negative board assumes when an opponent makes a couple in a row. We are holding teams to 28.6% from 3 this year, 30th in the country, but if you read this board and the nonstop "there's the Mooney leave them wide open for 3s" defense, you would think we were 300th in the country.
Well, my seats are quite close to the court, and my eyes tell me we do lag off 3 point shooters. Luckily, in several of our games (example - Lafayette) the shooters were horrible. Former players I know pre Mooney say the same. See what happens in conference play if we play teams with good shooters and we continue with that strategy.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Mooney's defense historically by design has attempted to seal off the middle by pressuring the ball and clogging the options on that side and has been willing to leave someone open from three on the other side of the court. Sometimes it works, other times we get burned.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The promo email I got was from the ticket office but for another promotion. Didn't get one about the 8-pack.
Thanks. For some reason I stopped getting emails other than the several times a week Morning Jolt. Guess I'll have to call and see what's up.

Because you can definitely tell if we lag off of shooters, for example by collapsing too far on the weak side, by looking at the numbers in a box score...

Because you can definitely tell if we lag off of shooters, for example by collapsing too far on the weak side, by looking at the numbers in a box score...
This was surprising to see coming from you. From others on here, yes, but would not expect this type of rude reply from you. Anyway, I watch our games and don't need to rely on box scores. Yes, we will sometimes give up open 3s..shocker, every team does. If 3 point shots were always guarded close, do you think any team out there would shoot even 30% from 3?

We do not consistently lag off 3 point shooters. We just don't. Sometimes you give up something to prevent something else. That is often what playing defense in sports is about. What about when we make 3s, many of which are open looks? Is it always bad defense? Always? I guess you, like others on here, think it is all luck when teams shoot poorly against us? I know the theme all too well. When teams shoot poorly against us, it is luck, but when they shoot well, it's Mooney's fault. And, yes, this board sucks.

Last edited:
Soulis has only played in 3 of our 13 games so far.
10 minutes total.
I guess we'd use him in the 2nd half if we need to and if he's healthy, but I hope Walz gets healthy allowing us to shut Soulis down. foot problems are never a good thing for a big guy.

So section9 and I disagree by 2 points. Have to admit that I'm a little more hesitant based on the VCU drubbing, but I tend to agree with Gkillers line of thinking and hoping Bonnies used up some bullets already. And hopefully they are more acclimated to the Siegel center rims.

Love this board, it is awesome!! You guys rock!

Let's get our positive mojo back with a nice win. I was really hyped for the season until the BC let down, and excuse making. Trying to get that mojo back, really need this W.

Good article from a local paper. This is what I want to see and hear more from Mooney: URGENCY.
As I mentioned before SDSU played and won at Gonzaga - I knew Dutcher would be treating it like a super bowl, must win. First conference game - HE was on edge and challenging everything. This from a 60+ year old man, will to win. Attitude and belief in winning and playing to a certain level are what has set them apart.

Hoping Mooney is going into this one with the same attitude.

Reactions: gcarter52
but would not expect this type of rude reply from you
Really? Not even my reply, but definitely NOT rude. He simply has a different opinion based on sound data.

VT, we are not blind. 19 years of data = average at best. What do you see that we don't? 80s invite your response too.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
Really? Not even my reply, but definitely NOT rude. He simply has a different opinion based on sound data.

VT, we are not blind. 19 years of data = average at best. What do you see that we don't? 80s invite your response too.
I see a ridiculously negative message board and we haven't even played a conference game yet. I wonder who some of these posters even root for because they sure do hate our program. And, the reply with the box score comment was rude and unnecessary and I was surprised to see who posted it.

VT, No one would be hanging out on this board for long periods of time if they did not love our Spiders. The board does get negative at times, but please, for the love of humanity, recognize it is because we love our Spiders and want to see us succeed at a much higher rate. Like 24-7 success, not one 24-7 season.

Come on, VT, you suggested I don't have friends or coworkers yesterday, don't get all holier -than-thou on us now. It's a message board. We're going to gripe about stuff. If you don't like it, convince us why everything is awesome.

Kind of hoping DLo is held out today. As much as we need him back in the lineup - they said 6-8 weeks following the surgery - and I believe this would be just under 6 weeks return. Would love to have him in the lineup but thinking could use one more week to strengthen the wrist.

Noyes and Soulis out, Hunt warming up but still questionable to play.

Is this the game thread?

If doctors clear Dlo to play, I want him in there for energy and intensity purposes if nothing else. Hopefully not for hard drives where he hits the floor (he was prone to those.)

I’m in the belly of the beast at Home Team Grill talking to VCU fans. They had the Bonnie’s last. don’t see how their size and shooting percentage is going to help us. Need to rebound, which is foreign to Mooney.

Soulis in boot and street clothes along with Noyes …

Last edited:
Hunt not starting, but that's not a surprise even if he is going to make some appearances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT