ADVERTISEMENT

Spiders Collective-Season Preview-Oct 4

Sep 10, 2024
The Collective is hosting a Men's Basketball "Season Preview" on Friday October 4th. It will be at the Queally Athletics Center and starts at 6:30pm. A video shot by the team will be put out on the social media platforms later today.

The ticket information is at www.spidernil.com This event is to raise funds and awareness for the Collective. It should be a great night-featuring a short team practice, intrasquad scrimmage, Spider Collective Tumbler and food/drink afterwards.

There is chance for all you Spider fans to get a first look at the squad, which as most likely know, has seven newcomers, including transfers from UConn, Michigan, Dartmouth, Albany and Western Michigan. They will join returnees Delonnie Hunt, Mikel Tyne, Mike Walz, Jason Roche and Collin Tanner.

We look forward to seeing you there!

https://spidersnil.com/season-preview/

This event was mentioned on this week’s Spider NIL Collective call. This should be a very strong event, a lot of fun and a great way to get a sneak preview of the new players. There should be a moderate size crowd to allow good interaction with the players and coaches after the scrimmage. Ticket revenue will go to support the NIL.

It's so great that the collective is doing this! I think this is an excellent way to try and reach out to more people who can get involved with the program and raise more revenue for the collective. I also think the idea of giving away something like the Tumblr for people who come is a nice addition and essentially becomes an advertisement whenever someone uses it out in public. I hope there will be more opportunities like this throughout the year!

---

I shared this on the NIL website thread but thought I would share it here too in case others may see it. Here are some bullet point ideas I have to improve NIL/NIL website

"Membership Levels - I think this is the biggest thing to getting more participation. Right now, I'm sure there are several very rich donors donating 10K+ to NIL and that's how we get the majority of the money. I think to reach a wider audience to participate, there has to be more incentive for someone to donate $100, $500, or $1000. Look at Cincinnati's website for example. They have different levels of contribution and awards that come with it. For example $50 gets you a car decal, $150 gets you newsletters and other times. The higher in amount goes, you get more access to exclusive opportunities to meet with the team or memorabilia. I think this will go a long way in getting a lot more of the smaller donations (<10K).

Cincinnati: https://cincyreigns.org/

2. NIL Store - The ability to purchase NIL merchandise to get something in return while also contributing to NIL I think is very nice. Look at Dayton's or Duquesne's website: They have a store where you can buy jerseys or other apparel.

Dayton: https://shop.udayton.edu/category/dayton-flyers-athletics/player-nil

Duquesne: https://nil.store/pages/duquesne

3. Program specific donations - As far as I'm aware, our NIL is only for men's basketball. What if someone wanted to donate to women's basketball, field hockey, or baseball? Having it all in one website can make it easier for the user. Not sure if Wake Forest has this option, but I like how they have all their sports under one place

4. Website interface - I know this might be nitpicky and that you acknowledge it on your initial post, but I think our website appears kind of bland and doesn't have the same flair as perhaps other websites, which can entice people more. Again, this is my own opinion and likely trivial, but these small details can make a different and perhaps a more enhanced website design could be helpful in attracting new donors. Unfortunately, I am not good with graphic design otherwise I would've helped!

5. Get local community involved -
Doing some research, some universities' NIL partners with local business such that some proceeds of items purchased at that business goes to the NIL. So for instance, Cincinnati has partnered with a local brewery, Rheingeist, and have a beer call Cincy Light. A percentage of proceeds go to the NIL. Other NIL's are doing something similar. If we don't want to use alcohol, I understand that. However, we could reach out to Stella's Grocery or Carytown Burgers or some other local business and create the "The Spider Burger" or "The Spider Wrap". If we wanted to be even more ambitious, we could partner with these business at games. For instance, Carytown Burger could have a cart outside Robins Stadiums during football games or be somewhere in the area during basketball games selling the food items. The biggest key with this, the NIL store, or most importantly membership levels, is it gives an opportunity for people to feel that they will get something in return, even small, if donating to the NIL. I think this will allow us to reach a wider audience. Right now, if we donate to the NIL, we have no idea where that money goes. It does not feel as personal or connected. I think I speak for a lot of us, that we are more likely to donate money, if we get a chance to meet the coaches/team or get some cool spiders merchandise. People are more likely to even go out of their way to have lunch at a place where purchases of food items have a percentage of proceeds go to the NIL.

Link: https://businessofcollegesports.com...l-collectives-with-collective-inspired-beers/

6. Get UR Athletic Department involved - This one is also huge if we utilize it. The new Virginia Law essentially allows universities to pay NIL directly. Does this mean UR will give a percentage of its endowment each year to go to NIL? I do not foresee UR doing that, at least not anytime soon. However, the big thing with this is UR can set up a foundation where donors donate through UR that goes directly to NIL. Look at UVA, they established Sabres Society that allows donors to give money to a variety of areas in athletics and one of them is the UVA's NIL Collective, Cav Futures.

Link: https://virginiasports.com/news/202...nches-sabre-society-to-support-uva-athletics/

Imagine if UR did something similar with UR's Spider Athletic Fund? Similar to UVA, UR would offer an option to donate directly the Spider NIL through the Spider Athletic Fund, among other options (i.e. facility projects, performance and development, etc.)

Link: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/spider-athletic-fund

We could even promote it at UR Giving Day as one of the areas of support

Link: https://urhere.richmond.edu/o/university-of-richmond/i/2024/p/athletics"

It's so great that the collective is doing this! I think this is an excellent way to try and reach out to more people who can get involved with the program and raise more revenue for the collective. I also think the idea of giving away something like the Tumblr for people who come is a nice addition and essentially becomes an advertisement whenever someone uses it out in public. I hope there will be more opportunities like this throughout the year!

---

I shared this on the NIL website thread but thought I would share it here too in case others may see it. Here are some bullet point ideas I have to improve NIL/NIL website

"Membership Levels - I think this is the biggest thing to getting more participation. Right now, I'm sure there are several very rich donors donating 10K+ to NIL and that's how we get the majority of the money. I think to reach a wider audience to participate, there has to be more incentive for someone to donate $100, $500, or $1000. Look at Cincinnati's website for example. They have different levels of contribution and awards that come with it. For example $50 gets you a car decal, $150 gets you newsletters and other times. The higher in amount goes, you get more access to exclusive opportunities to meet with the team or memorabilia. I think this will go a long way in getting a lot more of the smaller donations (<10K).

Cincinnati: https://cincyreigns.org/

2. NIL Store - The ability to purchase NIL merchandise to get something in return while also contributing to NIL I think is very nice. Look at Dayton's or Duquesne's website: They have a store where you can buy jerseys or other apparel.

Dayton: https://shop.udayton.edu/category/dayton-flyers-athletics/player-nil

Duquesne: https://nil.store/pages/duquesne

3. Program specific donations - As far as I'm aware, our NIL is only for men's basketball. What if someone wanted to donate to women's basketball, field hockey, or baseball? Having it all in one website can make it easier for the user. Not sure if Wake Forest has this option, but I like how they have all their sports under one place

4. Website interface - I know this might be nitpicky and that you acknowledge it on your initial post, but I think our website appears kind of bland and doesn't have the same flair as perhaps other websites, which can entice people more. Again, this is my own opinion and likely trivial, but these small details can make a different and perhaps a more enhanced website design could be helpful in attracting new donors. Unfortunately, I am not good with graphic design otherwise I would've helped!

5. Get local community involved - Doing some research, some universities' NIL partners with local business such that some proceeds of items purchased at that business goes to the NIL. So for instance, Cincinnati has partnered with a local brewery, Rheingeist, and have a beer call Cincy Light. A percentage of proceeds go to the NIL. Other NIL's are doing something similar. If we don't want to use alcohol, I understand that. However, we could reach out to Stella's Grocery or Carytown Burgers or some other local business and create the "The Spider Burger" or "The Spider Wrap". If we wanted to be even more ambitious, we could partner with these business at games. For instance, Carytown Burger could have a cart outside Robins Stadiums during football games or be somewhere in the area during basketball games selling the food items. The biggest key with this, the NIL store, or most importantly membership levels, is it gives an opportunity for people to feel that they will get something in return, even small, if donating to the NIL. I think this will allow us to reach a wider audience. Right now, if we donate to the NIL, we have no idea where that money goes. It does not feel as personal or connected. I think I speak for a lot of us, that we are more likely to donate money, if we get a chance to meet the coaches/team or get some cool spiders merchandise. People are more likely to even go out of their way to have lunch at a place where purchases of food items have a percentage of proceeds go to the NIL.

Link: https://businessofcollegesports.com...l-collectives-with-collective-inspired-beers/

6. Get UR Athletic Department involved - This one is also huge if we utilize it. The new Virginia Law essentially allows universities to pay NIL directly. Does this mean UR will give a percentage of its endowment each year to go to NIL? I do not foresee UR doing that, at least not anytime soon. However, the big thing with this is UR can set up a foundation where donors donate through UR that goes directly to NIL. Look at UVA, they established Sabres Society that allows donors to give money to a variety of areas in athletics and one of them is the UVA's NIL Collective, Cav Futures.

Link: https://virginiasports.com/news/202...nches-sabre-society-to-support-uva-athletics/

Imagine if UR did something similar with UR's Spider Athletic Fund? Similar to UVA, UR would offer an option to donate directly the Spider NIL through the Spider Athletic Fund, among other options (i.e. facility projects, performance and development, etc.)

Link: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/spider-athletic-fund

We could even promote it at UR Giving Day as one of the areas of support

Link: https://urhere.richmond.edu/o/university-of-richmond/i/2024/p/athletics"
Spider17... My purpose of the post is not to get a debate, but to inform. Here are some comments on your bullets.

Coming up with the concept of the Partner level (which is $10k and up) got us quickly to where we needed to be. It’s safe to say that it’s been successful, co player of the year, regular season champs and a really strong Portal Class this year.

FYI—you don’t have to give $10k. You can go to spidersnil.com and donate. We have gotten everything from $100 donations to $2500. The reason for their donations was not for a decal or t-shirt, it was to support the Nil which is crucial to the success of the program.

We decided on doing this event 1. ) Raise awareness and 2.) raise money and 3) give a sneak preview on season. We’re hoping to secure a corporate sponsor to help us cover our expenses for the evening (anyone local interested?)

As far as NIL store, from what I understand, in principle they look good, but how much money are they bringing in (which is the goal) for both player and Collective ? Our GM, who works with P4 schools much bigger than Richmond, has confirmed this. If you know something different, please let us know.

As far as different sports, yes, this was set up w/ Mens basketball, based on the interest level. The infrastructure is in place to add other sports and have same team manage if there is interest.

I will agree website could be updated. There has been an update, which allows you to buy tickets to this event .

Local businesses interest. We had a local medical device company shoot a Linkedin video w/ NQ last year and we have a couple of that are interested in doing stuff this year.

Your last point about getting athletic department involved is a good one. For example, NIL gifts (unless you are a business and use a player for a commercial for example-which then becomes a marketing expense) are not tax-deductible for individuals at this time. Although Virginia law may allow it, the NCAA rules are still influx. The “House” settlement was just sent back to the plaint/defend to re-look at their settlement. Will there be a day that NIL contributions become Richmond donations? Most likely, but that day is not yet here.

Spider17, if you’re not local and can’t attend and want to make at least a $200 donation, we will get you a tumbler!! Make a donation and Send your info to richmondspidercollective@gmail.com and we will get it shipped out.

Spider17... My purpose of the post is not to get a debate, but to inform. Here are some comments on your bullets.

Coming up with the concept of the Partner level (which is $10k and up) got us quickly to where we needed to be. It’s safe to say that it’s been successful, co player of the year, regular season champs and a really strong Portal Class this year.

FYI—you don’t have to give $10k. You can go to spidersnil.com and donate. We have gotten everything from $100 donations to $2500. The reason for their donations was not for a decal or t-shirt, it was to support the Nil which is crucial to the success of the program.

We decided on doing this event 1. ) Raise awareness and 2.) raise money and 3) give a sneak preview on season. We’re hoping to secure a corporate sponsor to help us cover our expenses for the evening (anyone local interested?)

As far as NIL store, from what I understand, in principle they look good, but how much money are they bringing in (which is the goal) for both player and Collective ? Our GM, who works with P4 schools much bigger than Richmond, has confirmed this. If you know something different, please let us know.

As far as different sports, yes, this was set up w/ Mens basketball, based on the interest level. The infrastructure is in place to add other sports and have same team manage if there is interest.

I will agree website could be updated. There has been an update, which allows you to buy tickets to this event .

Local businesses interest. We had a local medical device company shoot a Linkedin video w/ NQ last year and we have a couple of that are interested in doing stuff this year.

Your last point about getting athletic department involved is a good one. For example, NIL gifts (unless you are a business and use a player for a commercial for example-which then becomes a marketing expense) are not tax-deductible for individuals at this time. Although Virginia law may allow it, the NCAA rules are still influx. The “House” settlement was just sent back to the plaint/defend to re-look at their settlement. Will there be a day that NIL contributions become Richmond donations? Most likely, but that day is not yet here.

Spider17, if you’re not local and can’t attend and want to make at least a $200 donation, we will get you a tumbler!! Make a donation and Send your info to richmondspidercollective@gmail.com and we will get it shipped out.
Thank you for your very thoughtful response, I really appreciate it! My post was not intended to be a critique or debate but rather highlighting some thoughts I had that may be helpful. You all certainly have considered a lot and it’s evident by the strong NIL we have so far. It’s great that we are able to have this in place and I’m excited to see how it grows over the years!

Reactions: Section9.RowD
For those who haven't seen it, here's the vid...bunch of the guys have tweeted it. Smart move, pay the guys to promote the event that raises more money for them.

Hey I just signed up also but I was wondering if I was supposed to get a confirmation email or anything like that. When I clicked submit, it said that I registered and that they would contact me, is that what happened to yall too?

Reactions: UR80sfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT