ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmage

in your lala land fantasy world, I'd obviously take Bacote. in the real world where the perceived difference between the recruits you're talking to isn't as drastic, I'm focusing on finding a guard.
But, why? Using your math, you already would have 7 wings, right?

in your lala land fantasy world, I'd obviously take Bacote. in the real world where the perceived difference between the recruits you're talking to isn't as drastic, I'm focusing on finding a guard.
My point was...it depends on how different the skill level of the players is.

If both are worse than our first string at their position, I'm going for the position we need.

If one is better than our first string and the other is not, I will take the better player.

to be more realistic ... in this current class, if we weren't going over 13 slots and we were picking between Bizjack and Reed (before Tanner committed), who would you want?

I get the Bizjack love. I like his game too. and I understand why you wanted him. some service ranks him top 150. we don't get many of those. he's a nice player.

but I'll take Reed. not sure where he's ranked. really nice offer list though. and it's a position of need. we only have 2 bigs. he could be a starter for 3 years at either the 5 or the 4. we already have Roche, Bailey, Randolph, Noyes and Dread who can play the wing in the 2 classes ahead of Bizjack. I'm not ready to bail on any of them. we already got a verbal from Smith who we've been told will also play some on the wing. plus in theory Burton, Bigelow and Crabtree are on the wing as seniors when Bizjack would be a freshman. I'll get that wing in the following class when we're replacing those seniors. hopefully someone as good as Bizjack.

For anyone who coached or watched kids rec basketball, where there are often mandatory time restrictions (e.g., a player cannot play more than 3 quarters of any game as long as you have 8 kids there), you know you need to identify in the first two practices the three kids that will be trusted to dribble the ball up the court. One for the first quarter, one for the second quarter, and the emergency guy in case either of the first two can't make the game because they have a lacrosse tournament that weekend.

Sman is just saying that Mooney always has (or tries to have) three players who he trusts to dribble the ball up the court and initiate the offense. I agree with him.

Sman is also saying that Mooney tries to have at least three players who can guard the tallest player on the other team, just like rec basketball. Or else it becomes a rebounding drill, just like rec basketball. I agree with him. That's why we ended up with JMA and Kwesi, because they were tall people who Mooney thought could guard other tall people.

Your insistence on grinding every stone to dust is beleaguering.

I look forward to the games starting in 2 weeks.

For anyone who coached or watched kids rec basketball, where there are often mandatory time restrictions (e.g., a player cannot play more than 3 quarters of any game as long as you have 8 kids there), you know you need to identify in the first two practices the three kids that will be trusted to dribble the ball up the court. One for the first quarter, one for the second quarter, and the emergency guy in case either of the first two can't make the game because they have a lacrosse tournament that weekend.

Sman is just saying that Mooney always has (or tries to have) three players who he trusts to dribble the ball up the court and initiate the offense. I agree with him.

Sman is also saying that Mooney tries to have at least three players who can guard the tallest player on the other team, just like rec basketball. Or else it becomes a rebounding drill, just like rec basketball. I agree with him. That's why we ended up with JMA and Kwesi, because they were tall people who Mooney thought could guard other tall people.

Your insistence on grinding every stone to dust is beleaguering.

I look forward to the games starting in 2 weeks.
Then ignore me. I always laugh at those that get on here and talk about how frustrating it is to read my posts. Just don't read them. My goodness, if they upset you so much, just don't read them. It's a message board. People go back and forth on stuff a lot. Whatever, man. This thread was about to go away, as there was no posting for awhile, yet you felt the need to get on here and say this when it doesn't even concern you.

This debate started because Sman said we would not recruit Bizjack because we got Smith. He said we have one spot for a guard and Smith took it. No, he didn't say Mooney "tries" to have 3 point guards and 3 bigs. He said he will "always" have that. And, would have that at the expense of not offering a top 150 like Bizjack. So, there is a huge difference in what you are posting here, and what the debate was actually about. Because, well, you know, you were not part of the debate. So, I disagreed big time and the debate took off from there.

That was a few months ago. The debate resurfaced because Sman, who was the one wrong about saying we would not offer Bizjack, tried to say I was wrong because we got Reed. I like debating with Sman, and I like reading his posts, but that pissed me off. When someone calls me out like that, and they are wrong, I will respond. And, I will say it again, if you don't like the way I respond, please ignore me.

Included in the debate was Sman saying JJ was our 3rd point guard. Fine, in your little practice rec sessions, if you want JJ bringing the ball up the third quarter of the game, fine. But, good luck trying to convince anyone other than Sman that Mooney had three quarter Rec sessions and wasted practice time having JJ bring the ball up to court for one of them. But, hey, maybe you are right and Jacob was missing games because he had some lacrosse games to play.

Last edited:
JJ never played as a combo guard for us. just saying he was considered that when recruited. for simplicity I probably shouldn't have included him in the debate. Woj would have been sufficient.

Just FYI guys scrimmage at James Madison tomorrow

tomorrow or Sunday? It was originally reported as Oct 30, but that was Rothstein.

JMU is decent, they could win the Sun Belt, or at least be near the top I expect.

tomorrow or Sunday? It was originally reported as Oct 30, but that was Rothstein.

JMU is decent, they could win the Sun Belt, or at least be near the top I expect.
My understanding is tomorrow as the guys are leaving today after practice

My understanding is tomorrow as the guys are leaving today after practice

$ in the hoops program must be doing well. No covid hangover. Or maybe we just didn't renew Lunardi! If we are staying overnight. I'd think we'd do same day for a scrimmage & not stay overnight on a relatively short bus trip.

Granted there is some value in going through the normal routine, hotel, meetings etc that u would have during reg season but I figured we'd do it for VA Tech not here.

Reactions: urfan1
I agree with these comments
And I agree with my earlier post to kneepad that said if my posts are so "beleaguering" (interesting choice of words), then ignore my ass. Seriously, what the heck, man? It bothers you this much and is "beleaguering" that Sman, a poster I enjoy posting with, and I have a lengthy debate about something? So, I guess you would rather the board just agree all the time and every reply be "great point, I agree". Wow. Fun board that would be.

Things calm down and then you post this crap? Unreal. You have thrown these little nuggets my way before. You made your point a long time ago. So, please ignore me. 05 can read my posts and discipline me if necessary. So, maybe it is you and kneepad who are "grinding stones to dust" with your post debate comments that you were not even involved with. That's awful coming from a moderator. Some example you are setting here.

Last edited:
Thin skin? Did I say I was addressing that to you?
Yes, you did. You chose to copy and paste what you did. You knew exactly what you were doing or you wouldn't have done that. And, my skin is fine. Maybe yours is thin for letting my posts "beleaguer" you.

And I agree with my earlier post to kneepad that said if my posts are so "beleaguering" (interesting choice of words), then ignore my ass. Seriously, what the heck, man? It bothers you this much and is "beleaguering" that Sman, a poster I enjoy posting with, and I have a lengthy debate about something? So, I guess you would rather the board just agree all the time and every reply be "great point, I agree". Wow. Fun board that would be.

Things calm down and then you post this crap? Unreal. You have thrown these little nuggets my way before. You made your point a long time ago. So, please ignore me. 05 can read my posts and discipline me if necessary. So, maybe it is you and kneepad who are "grinding stones to dust" with your post debate comments that you were not even involved with. That's awful coming from a moderator. Some example you are setting here.
fozzie bear GIF

so now you are arguing down to the ground the fact that you argue everything down to the ground?

I have been on this board for 1 year and 5 months and have come to learn there are two universal truths: (i) the sun will rise tomorrow and (ii) you will be in section 9 row d during spider home games.
Section 9 row D will be in section 25 row 4 for the Barclays games so you can stop by …

I’m sure I have said this before, but…

I don’t travel well for sports.
I was at William & Mary for 1 game when they had Cieplicki.
I was at 3 games at the Smith Center around the “Pops” era.
I was at 3 Times Dispatch Tournaments & 3 CAA Tournaments. (Plus 1 at the Robins Center)

Oh, Home games? This is my 41st year with Season Tickets, all in the same seat. (Even if the physical seat has changed)
I expect to attend my 600th home game before the end of the year…

I was at 3 Times Dispatch Tournaments & 3 CAA Tournaments. (Plus 1 at the Robins Center)

Oh, Home games? This is my 41st year with Season Tickets, all in the same seat. (Even if the physical seat has changed)
We are not worthy. We are not worthy

This is my 41st year with Season Tickets, all in the same seat. (Even if the physical seat has changed)
Impressive. Hope the ticket office gets you a round of applause when you reach the 600 game milestone.

Impressive. Hope the ticket office gets you a round of applause when you reach the 600 game milestone.
But first I will need SF to check my work on number of games the spiders have played at the Robin Center starting with (and including) the Maryland NIT game. 🤣

That a great long history as a Spider fan. Not trying to one-up you, but I've been going to Spider basketball games on my or my father's season tickets since 1948 (when Richmond played its home games at the Benedictine gym). My parents took me as an infant. When my Dad died in 1971, I started buying my own tickets and have done so until the present. Hopefully, I'll make it a few more years!

That a great long history as a Spider fan. Not trying to one-up you, but I've been going to Spider basketball games on my or my father's season tickets since 1948 (when Richmond played its home games at the Benedictine gym). My parents took me as an infant. When my Dad died in 1971, I started buying my own tickets and have done so until the present. Hopefully, I'll make it a few more years!
That’s something I didn’t know.
How long did we play home games at Benedictine before Millhiser was built?

We won…by double digits I believe. Haven’t gotten to many details.
Kenpom's preseason ratings suggest we should lose to Tech by ~10 points on a neutral court, and beat JMU by about 3 points. if there are considered away games that changes to lose by 14, and lose by 1. Seems like in both scrimmages we have over performed by >10 points. I know these are just preseason scrimmages and we shouldn't read to much into it, but I find it pretty exciting.

BillyWayne, you have me beat. I started in 53-54 at the Arena as an infant and have gone with parents and/or my own season tickets since my early days. Arena, one year at Coliseum and then Robins.

ADVERTISEMENT