ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmage vs ECU 90-90

Confirmed on Robinson and McGlothin fifth quarter only

I liked what I saw from Washington. He wasn't a big part of the rotation, and looked slower than the others when ball handling responsibilities were his, but the 3s were smooth and he had a nice finish at the rim. Really curious to see what role he'll have.

Too many kid responsibilities this weekend...currently won't be at ODU

Confirmed on Robinson and McGlothin fifth quarter only

I liked what I saw from Washington. He wasn't a big part of the rotation, and looked slower than the others when ball handling responsibilities were his, but the 3s were smooth and he had a nice finish at the rim. Really curious to see what role he'll have.

Too many kid responsibilities this weekend...currently won't be at ODU
Do you know when this scrimmage is and if there is any way I could attend it because I am currently a student at ODU

The Dude abides.

Thank you for the report. It was getting rather tiresome just hearing spider23's constant speculation. 1st rule of message boards...absolutely no speculation!

I do have to ask u 1 thing I'm a little curious about. u get access to a secret scrimmage, u know what JOC looks like, u know the scrimmage rules that we agreed upon, but u can't recognize all our players without their name on the jersey?

"Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view."

Gonna need to Mission Impossible yourself inside, 324.

Reactions: Dudeness
Do you know when this scrimmage is and if there is any way I could attend it because I am currently a student at ODU

Scheduled for noon at the Robins Center. Last week was a fortress, I had to be let in at the ticket office door, and wander my way through the halls to get court side. There were maybe 7-10 people in attendance, big wigs. Last year, they saw a few regular fans inside and ran them off. Im not saying you cant find an unlocked door and hide in a corner, but it's not overly easy. Last week there was a football game, so perhaps this week won't be as locked down.

The Dude abides.

Thank you for the report. It was getting rather tiresome just hearing spider23's constant speculation. 1st rule of message boards...absolutely no speculation!

I do have to ask u 1 thing I'm a little curious about. u get access to a secret scrimmage, u know what JOC looks like, u know the scrimmage rules that we agreed upon, but u can't recognize all our players without their name on the jersey?

I mean, in my defense, how many rotational guys were on the team last season? I obviously dont post here a lot, but read it in season and during portal time. But Im not a hard core fan of spider athletics. I honestly recognized like five kids. So yes, I needed a roster or names on the back of jerseys, ha!

To be clear, I'm a nobody. No high roller, no big wig who was allowed to attend. No insider. Specific reason I was there

I gottta be honest, I didnt see JOC at the scrimmage. The article could be 100 percent written by a distributed box score. I dont get the secret nature of this to then release stats.

The fifth quarter was 100 percent guys that didnt play in the first four. And UR won it handily. Q1 and Q3 were pretty even. Q2 UR got hot from 3 and stretched it out late. ECU's coach was coaching like it was the final four...he was arguing about rules they made up and agreed to pregame, and was fouling late to "win". Was pretty ridiculous. 90-90 sounds about right for four quarters. Scores were wiped after each quarter but no way it was tied if the fifth Q was included.

No clue what the box score says, but offensive rebounding was a plus. Glou more a wing than interior. Tanner's shot didnt look pretty, but he hit three 3s. Complete defensive liability. To be fair, no names on the back of practice jerseys and I didn't have a roster in front of me, so hard to be specific on all.
Thanks for the update. To clarify, you said complete defensive liability, was that a reference to Glou or Tanner.

New philosophy: pound the offensive glass as a tactic to limit the opponent's number of offensive possessions, and minimize our defensive liabilities. Adaptation!
if we were pounding the offensive glass and not getting back ... that would explain the 75% shooting from 2 for ECU and the 90 points allowed. wonder if a lot came in transition.

Scheduled for noon at the Robins Center. Last week was a fortress, I had to be let in at the ticket office door, and wander my way through the halls to get court side. There were maybe 7-10 people in attendance, big wigs. Last year, they saw a few regular fans inside and ran them off. Im not saying you cant find an unlocked door and hide in a corner, but it's not overly easy. Last week there was a football game, so perhaps this week won't be as locked down.

I mean, in my defense, how many rotational guys were on the team last season? I obviously dont post here a lot, but read it in season and during portal time. But Im not a hard core fan of spider athletics. I honestly recognized like five kids. So yes, I needed a roster or names on the back of jerseys, ha!

To be clear, I'm a nobody. No high roller, no big wig who was allowed to attend. No insider. Specific reason I was there
Were you a ref, haha

if we were pounding the offensive glass and not getting back ... that would explain the 75% shooting from 2 for ECU and the 90 points allowed. wonder if a lot came in transition.
Some interesting box score stats…
In the Paint ECU 38 UR 20
Fast Break points ECU 7 UR 5
Turnover points ECU 23 UR 20
Bench points ECU 16 UR 38(!)
2nd chance ECU 10 UR 17(!) Beagle with 7 of our 13 Offensive rebounds

Tanner

I know nothing about ECU, but RJ Felton is a dude. He's listed 6-3, 214, but that might be light. Can bully our small guards.
A little surprised on Tanner since box score shows 4 defensive rebounds and 3 blocks

Maybe too light to handle his own man but blocks on help on guards?

That kind of guy is the exact type we discussed last week - who handles the big guards or hybrid wings (either tall or tall/heavy both) on defense for UR? We have Tanner, Roche, McGlothin in the 6'5" or 6'6" range, then the 4 shorter guards and Graham in between.

I'm calling for the 1-3-1 now with quickness up top and to hide one defender in the middle.

I wouldn't reach too much into scrimmages, especially closed door. When it is closed door, it allows coaches to coach differently and try out different things, free from public view. You also have to think as well they are not playing main guys as many minutes as they normally will too - simply out of fear of unnecessary injury.

Now - when its an exhibition, they could do the same thing, but they know when doors open, fans and others watching - they have to try and replicate a game as much as possible. So while they may try a few new things, likely not as much as a closed door scrimmage.

You beat me to it. Was thinking the same thing, might need to pull out some type of 1 3 1 to slow things down. Not sure that is in Mooney or Boyden's bag? Definitely played out our worst fears. Need someone to guard the 3.
Are there really all these superstar 3s in the A10 though?

I wouldn't reach too much into scrimmages, especially closed door. When it is closed door, it allows coaches to coach differently and try out different things, free from public view. You also have to think as well they are not playing main guys as many minutes as they normally will too - simply out of fear of unnecessary injury.

Now - when its an exhibition, they could do the same thing, but they know when doors open, fans and others watching - they have to try and replicate a game as much as possible. So while they may try a few new things, likely not as much as a closed door scrimmage.
Isn’t this why we play scrimmage games to gauge our strengths and weaknesses before the season begins. Either we meet our challenges or not!

The coaching staff believes we should have pretty good defense this year, although we might give up more points, because we are going to play at a faster pace than we have in recent years.
I do think - other than the potential lack of wing defenders - we should be pretty solid at other positions. I feel like (based on articles and comments from Mooney) Beagle can be a plus defender at stretch 4 - and though we might lose out on shooting we would pick up some interior scoring and put backs. Also hopeful that Robinson can be utilized for stretches - if he is already a good defender - though have no idea but seems to have the skillset and athleticism to be.

I do hope we can do some switching up the D.

Reactions: urfan1
I do think - other than the potential lack of wing defenders - we should be pretty solid at other positions. I feel like (based on articles and comments from Mooney) Beagle can be a plus defender at stretch 4 - and though we might lose out on shooting we would pick up some interior scoring and put backs. Also hopeful that Robinson can be utilized for stretches - if he is already a good defender - though have no idea but seems to have the skillset and athleticism to be.

I do hope we can do some switching up the D.
If there is any position where we lack some defense, I would want it to be on the wing. That is not where most top scorers are. An opposing team can take advantage of you having a lack of a big underneath, or a lack of quickness at the guard spot, but we have those. The wing? Again, I don't see very many 6'7 or even 6'6 type wings we need to worry about this year. I think our guards have proved they can handle guards a little taller than them. And, if not, and we face a taller stud out there, we can do some switching around if we have too.

are you still thinking Walz and Beagle play much together? based on minutes, I don't think they overlapped at all in the scrimmage.
I don't. Only time Mooney really played 2 bigs at once were Grace/Quinn a couple years ago. I wouldn't say that experience has me clamouring for more of the 2 big line up. Beagle to me is more of the ideal big for Mooney, a big man that can operate and distribute out of the high post than is Walz. Walz has his own set of skills though and I really like the interior toughness and strength he will bring.

If there is any position where we lack some defense, I would want it to be on the wing. That is not where most top scorers are. An opposing team can take advantage of you having a lack of a big underneath, or a lack of quickness at the guard spot, but we have those. The wing? Again, I don't see very many 6'7 or even 6'6 type wings we need to worry about this year. I think our guards have proved they can handle guards a little taller than them. And, if not, and we face a taller stud out there, we can do some switching around if we have too.
I understand your position, and would love to see the tape of this scrimmage. Because we got a first hand report that they had a big guard that bullied us. And the 75% from 2 point range really really really indicates to me that we were getting blown by. Because as you have noted, teams don't shoot mid range any more. Even with Walz and Beagle solid down low, blow bys create a 2 v 1 against them. And I don't think Hunt and Tyne would give up blow bys. So somehow this mid/decent ECU team had dudes at the wing - it would seem.

I don't. Only time Mooney really played 2 bigs at once were Grace/Quinn a couple years ago. I wouldn't say that experience has me clamouring for more of the 2 big line up. Beagle to me is more of the ideal big for Mooney, a big man that can operate and distribute out of the high post than is Walz. Walz has his own set of skills though and I really like the interior toughness and strength he will bring.
Well, the two big lineups that were very successful both on O and D were Golden and Cayo. As others have pointed out Grace is not a guy that can chase and guard the perimeter. Hoping with the talk of Beagle's quickness he can play some 4 - though not a proven shooter at all.

"Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view."

Gonna need to Mission Impossible yourself inside, 324.
My suggestion, and this would work much better if you were old like most of the guys on this board - or a lot of guys on this board: Print yourself a laminated name tag, and get a lanyard to attach it, get an NCAA graphic, and put your title as NCAA Compliance Officer. Dress Shoes, Grey Dress Pants, Light Blue Dress Shirt. Maybe a notebook and pen, or tablet with an NCAA property sticker. Walk right in like you own the place. If anyone challenges you dress them down immediately and ask for their credentials.

See you inside.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Well, the two big lineups that were very successful both on O and D were Golden and Cayo. As others have pointed out Grace is not a guy that can chase and guard the perimeter. Hoping with the talk of Beagle's quickness he can play some 4 - though not a proven shooter at all.

I don't really consider Cayo a traditional Spider big. Yes frontcourt & a non shooter for us but he could guard wings defensively and could handle ball a bit too.

But the time it did work was Grace/Golden. We used that big combo down the stetch in A10 tourney and into Iowa game in 22-23'. so it worked at the best possible time. But a small sample and overall I wouldn't say it worked well the other very few times we've seen it under Moon.

idk how much we'll see Beagle & Walz together, probably not a lot. But I'm anticipating more than in the past w 2 traditional bigs mainly because I think those 2 are 2 of our better players and u like to get best players on court more often. u can't force it tho so I agree it will depend on whether Beags can defend the "4"...even tho 3 and 4's no longer exist anywhere on the court!

My suggestion, and this would work much better if you were old like most of the guys on this board - or a lot of guys on this board: Print yourself a laminated name tag, and get a lanyard to attach it, get an NCAA graphic, and put your title as NCAA Compliance Officer. Dress Shoes, Grey Dress Pants, Light Blue Dress Shirt. Maybe a notebook and pen, or tablet with an NCAA property sticker. Walk right in like you own the place. If anyone challenges you dress them down immediately and ask for their credentials.

See you inside.

I was just going to try to get in there posing as a janitor, I like your plan much more 😆

Reactions: urfan1
Seriously, nearly every team in the A10 has a guy that fits the bill.

Someone needs to pull their head out of the sand 😏

well head in the sand is the Richmond athletic department motto so it makes sense. I think me & u 8legs are on ignore anyway.

Free reign....Fire (or Retire) Bennett/Extend Mooney!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT