ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Young - 2018 Offer

6'10", 210 lbs. PF/C out of Bethlehem Catholic in PA, but from just across the border a few miles away in Stewartsville, NJ.

Other offers include ODU, Bucknell, Navy, Colgate, Boston U, Delaware, Columbia, Lafayette, American, Mount St Mary's, Towson, Stony Brook, New Hampshire.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/ryan-young

http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-bask...m/bethlehem-catholic-high-school/ryan-young19

97, what do you think? No major offers!!

6'10", 210 lbs. PF/C out of Bethlehem Catholic in PA.

Other offers include ODU, Bucknell, Navy, Colgate, Boston U, Delaware, Columbia, Lafayette, American, Mount St Mary's, Towson, Stony Brook, New Hampshire.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/ryan-young

http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-bask...m/bethlehem-catholic-high-school/ryan-young19

reminds me of Pietrowski's tape: little slow and awkward. Can't get too excited based on competition being played. Not
trying to be a Negative Nancy, but this tape does nothing for me and a needed big man.

Those vids are all at least a year old. The low and mid-major offers are definitively flooding in, and I see a few folks tweeting about him making major improvements. Reserving my excitement for now, but here's hoping we're getting in on the ground floor with a kid on the rise.

I think were his best offer, so he is consistent with our recruiting philosophy.

His offer sheet reminds me of Friendshuh's. Tons of mid majors with us being his best offer. Not saying he is PF just that his offer sheet is similar.

His offer sheet reminds me of Friendshuh's. Tons of mid majors with us being his best offer. Not saying he is PF just that his offer sheet is similar.
97, he looks much like Paul. His shot is nearly identical.

Can't play at our level aside from maybe being able to be an 8th man 5-8 minute type later in career. dont need to see tape. Saw him live

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Seems like a good kid. Wants to go to a business school. Definitely needs to grow into that body. Never really saw him leave the floor. I did like his use of the backboard and his awareness of where he was on the floor. Nice passer, slow getting his outside shot off. Saw him regrip the ball several times, strength will help that.

For 2018 our 1st priority is obviously Mr. Golden, Grant's younger brother, who would have rocked the rim and backboard with many of the opportunities shown in the video posted above. However, sometimes a guy develops more slowly. This young man is just not ready to play at UR at this time. A year in high-school, and a year or weight work could change things, but count me as very skeptical, based on the tape. The coaches likely have more to go on than one-year old tape though, so I trust them.

This short video appears to be from a couple of months ago; almost doesn't look like the same guy.

He doesn't look 6'10, unless he is playing against a bunch of other 6'8-6'10 guys.

He doesn't look 6'10, unless he is playing against a bunch of other 6'8-6'10 guys.

He listed himself at 6'7" on his recruiting profile heading into this past season, so I think he's added a few inches since most of these videos were shot.

He does look much better and more aggressive in the recent clip. Could be a late bloomer with huge potential upside. I don't love the offer list so far, but willing to see where things go with him.

He listed himself at 6'7" on his recruiting profile heading into this past season, so I think he's added a few inches since most of these videos were shot.

He does look much better and more aggressive in the recent clip. Could be a late bloomer with huge potential upside. I don't love the offer list so far, but willing to see where things go with him.
His offer list is better than anyone in this years class.

this reminds me not to put videos up of my kid too early! the first video is fine for a HS 6'7" sophomore, but I'm sure he's come a long way and apparently grown.

I don't love the offer lists of the guys in this year's class either, but I'm willing to see where things go with them.

It's not like any of us have a choice in the matter anyway. All you can do is hope for the best and trust that CM and his staff know what they are doing.

Ryan has now been offered by two teams that beat us last year, Bucknell and Old Dominion.

Last edited:
Young coming in for a visit tomorrow after taking unofficial visit to GW today. GW offered him a week or so ago.

No P5's yet! A-10 offers from GW, St. Joe's, and La Salle are probably his highest besides us. Bucknell's in there too.

Since Ryan is on campus today perhaps the posters above who claimed the kid can not play at this level could edit their posts?

When we sign a 2018, and if there is not any attrition, do we have four slots for 2019?

Like the sounds of Ryan Young for 2018.

I find it funny that Philly proclaimed he cannot play at our level, and then he gets two offers from PA schools in our league. In his defense, you watch a kid one day and you can be very skewed. I saw Jahlil Okafor get manhandled by Rokas Gusyts. Totally out played in h.s. game against Gustys and then he was a top pick in the NBA. Maybe a bad example b/c I still think Okafor sucks. I digress.

But yes, sometimes you get fooled or a player has an out of ordinary good or bad day. Really like the sounds of this guy now. Would seem to be a good fit for the roster.

Maybe we can actually beat GW for a recruit for a change? Especially since they have a garbage head coach who has no clue what he's doing. If we lose another kid to them, I give up.

When we sign a 2018, and if there is not any attrition, do we have four slots for 2019?
Correct. We'd have Fore, Johnson, Friendshuh, and Stansbury's scholarships opening up for 2019. (Not entirely sure what Stansbury's status will be once his eligibility runs out, but I'm sure he'll be moved off a basketball scholarship to some other form of aid at a minimum. Or maybe he'll graduate in three!)

Like the sounds of Ryan Young for 2018.

I find it funny that Philly proclaimed he cannot play at our level, and then he gets two offers from PA schools in our league. In his defense, you watch a kid one day and you can be very skewed. I saw Jahlil Okafor get manhandled by Rokas Gusyts. Totally out played in h.s. game against Gustys and then he was a top pick in the NBA. Maybe a bad example b/c I still think Okafor sucks. I digress.

But yes, sometimes you get fooled or a player has an out of ordinary good or bad day. Really like the sounds of this guy now. Would seem to be a good fit for the roster.
I agree with Philly, as a 6'7" Sophomore in November 2015 he could not succeed as a center in the A-10 at that time.
As to what he can do in November 2018, that may be a different topic...

I think some posters only like kids that are NBA ready in HS. I usually look at the tape, read the numbers, and look to see who else is looking.

Reactions: MooreHall73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT