ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Young - 2018 Offer

I think some posters only like kids that are NBA ready in HS. I usually look at the tape, read the numbers, and look to see who else is looking.

Tape is tough if it's just highlight reels. Not only are they just that - - highlights and not full showing of skills etc. - - but there is often very little little context - - i.e. who did he make that move against and how big, strong, fast etc. is that guy for me to base my assessment on etc. HS numbers are even less reliable for the same reason only you don't even get the eye test. Looking at lists I think is a good way (but not the only way) to try and validate an opinion one might have about a player etc., but not a great way to form an opinion. Lists are often (not always) devoid of context (i.e. we know there are lots of kids who end up with UR on their lists when our interest may have waned or be old etc.)

I try not to comment or share an opinion on guys based on only tape and numbers. And I hate and won't render an opinion based solely on lists. Especially since it a coaches job to at least try and identify guys other coaches may have under evaluated etc. I can and do, however, get excited about the possibility of players maybe coming here based solely on those things (i.e if we somehow were in with a guy whose final 4 schools were Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Richmond, I'd be pretty excited about the possibility we could somehow get him - - - but I wouldn't render an opinion on his abilities etc.)).

I do like to comment on guys I have seen live and in person (generally in AAU tournaments etc.). I give my opinion based on what I see. That's still not fully in context as I don't generally know much about the opponents etc. Obviously, it's just that - - my opinion. Coaches recruiting kids (all coaches, not just ours) also have opinions about players and are often wrong. So, you can be pretty darn sure I will often be wrong too! I share the opinion because in many cases I find I am one of the few who has actually seen a kid play. But I am not purporting to be a talent judging guru - - just a willing "sharerer" of the opinions I form.

I'll stick to my guns that Ryan's not an impact players for us (despite the improving list) based on seeing him play (which wasn't in 2015 by the way). For a track record of my abilities I'll cite two other big guys not unlike Ryan from my general area. Piotrowski and Geriot. I said Piotrowski couldn't play at our level at all (and he had many higher level offers than us even) and I think I nailed that one. I also questioned Geriot's ability to help us (I was not as down on him as I was Piotrowski, but I wasn't too excited). I got that wrong (way wrong if you project what he might have done without the injury). So, can you trust my opinion? That depends on what trusting it means. If to trust my opinion I have to always be right in my assessment - - then hell no you can't trust me (or anyone, including the Coach K's of the world)! If trust is something less, then its your place to figure out what to make of my opinions in forming your own! But when I have one about a player - - I'll still be sharing it!

PhillySpider, I would like to thank you for sharing your opinions, for a couple of reasons. First, our fans who actually get a chance to see a kid play in high-school are often sharing based on better information than those who share based on hearsay or numbers. Second, I plan to do the same. I saw Sherod play against Buck roughly a year ago (X-Mas tourney), at Henrico High, and was surprised to see only a few on our board commenting on what they saw. I saw two guys who could be future stars for us, and shared that view. My only surprise after watching the two guys "live" is that Sherod has not yet had a series of break-out games, since he proved to me (in only one game) that he is truly a great outside shooter.

Anytime you can share your views of guys we are recruiting, based on actually seeing them play, please do continue to do so.

Tape is tough if it's just highlight reels. Not only are they just that - - highlights and not full showing of skills etc. - - but there is often very little little context - - i.e. who did he make that move against and how big, strong, fast etc. is that guy for me to base my assessment on etc. HS numbers are even less reliable for the same reason only you don't even get the eye test. Looking at lists I think is a good way (but not the only way) to try and validate an opinion one might have about a player etc., but not a great way to form an opinion. Lists are often (not always) devoid of context (i.e. we know there are lots of kids who end up with UR on their lists when our interest may have waned or be old etc.)

I try not to comment or share an opinion on guys based on only tape and numbers. And I hate and won't render an opinion based solely on lists. Especially since it a coaches job to at least try and identify guys other coaches may have under evaluated etc. I can and do, however, get excited about the possibility of players maybe coming here based solely on those things (i.e if we somehow were in with a guy whose final 4 schools were Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Richmond, I'd be pretty excited about the possibility we could somehow get him - - - but I wouldn't render an opinion on his abilities etc.)).

I do like to comment on guys I have seen live and in person (generally in AAU tournaments etc.). I give my opinion based on what I see. That's still not fully in context as I don't generally know much about the opponents etc. Obviously, it's just that - - my opinion. Coaches recruiting kids (all coaches, not just ours) also have opinions about players and are often wrong. So, you can be pretty darn sure I will often be wrong too! I share the opinion because in many cases I find I am one of the few who has actually seen a kid play. But I am not purporting to be a talent judging guru - - just a willing "sharerer" of the opinions I form.

I'll stick to my guns that Ryan's not an impact players for us (despite the improving list) based on seeing him play (which wasn't in 2015 by the way). For a track record of my abilities I'll cite two other big guys not unlike Ryan from my general area. Piotrowski and Geriot. I said Piotrowski couldn't play at our level at all (and he had many higher level offers than us even) and I think I nailed that one. I also questioned Geriot's ability to help us (I was not as down on him as I was Piotrowski, but I wasn't too excited). I got that wrong (way wrong if you project what he might have done without the injury). So, can you trust my opinion? That depends on what trusting it means. If to trust my opinion I have to always be right in my assessment - - then hell no you can't trust me (or anyone, including the Coach K's of the world)! If trust is something less, then its your place to figure out what to make of my opinions in forming your own! But when I have one about a player - - I'll still be sharing it!

Please change your handle to "PHILLY WRONG"

"WE WILL NEVER HIRE HUESMAN"

Mr. Young now with 28 offers. Five of which are A-10 schools. Not bad for a rising senior. Keep an eye on this guy.

When's the last time we beat 27+ programs for a recruit? Time to move along from this one.

When's the last time we beat 27+ programs for a recruit? Time to move along from this one.

According to Verbal Commits Sherod had 20 offers and DMB had 12, they both had higher quality offers than Young. Grant had 19. I think it is more about the best offer than the total number of offers and we are on par with Young's best offers right now. We don't have the geographic advantage we did with DMB and Sherod though. Based on recent history, if we really want this kid I would guess it is going to come down to us and one other school...

I hope you're not in sales as a career.
I hope you're not in analysis for a career.

I'm not saying this kid shouldn't pick us. I happen to think we are an excellent choice. I would sell the hell out of this program and school to any kid who would listen to me. I'm just being realistic and looking at 12 years of recruiting history. We have never signed a kid who had 27 other offers of any type. We have rarely signed any 6'10" kids, let alone one who is high demand. History says I'm right, that's all. I hope in this case to be wrong.

The good news...a lot of his offers are crappy. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

I hope you're not in analysis for a career.

I'm not saying this kid shouldn't pick us. I happen to think we are an excellent choice. I would sell the hell out of this program and school to any kid who would listen to me. I'm just being realistic and looking at 12 years of recruiting history. We have never signed a kid who had 27 other offers of any type. We have rarely signed any 6'10" kids, let alone one who is high demand. History says I'm right, that's all. I hope in this case to be wrong.
nobody can say they often land kids who have 27 offers. 26 schools will fail to land a kid when he has 27 offers. so yes, the odds are against us ... and everyone else.

Currently we are as good an offer as anyone on his list in my biased opinion. With his senior year to go it will be interesting to see who else may show up. That is what I was thinking when I said he was one to keep an eye on.

Reactions: NorthBroad
yes, we want to obtain players who chose us over duke or maryland, typically does not happen. seem to recall a few guys who were not getting any love, who came here and became stars.

not all guys are looking for the same thing -- if staff feels the recruit is truly interested they should continue to persue

Reactions: SpiderK and iSpider
yes, we want to obtain players who chose us over duke or maryland, typically does not happen. seem to recall a few guys who were not getting any love, who came here and became stars.
You hope to get that kid that wants to play 4 years rather than sit the P5 bench for 2 or 3 years then maybe play. It does seem many had rather sit the bench at Duke or UNC than actually play somewhere else. I would never hire that kind of kid.

You hope to get that kid that wants to play 4 years rather than sit the P5 bench for 2 or 3 years then maybe play. It does seem many had rather sit the bench at Duke or UNC than actually play somewhere else. I would never hire that kind of kid.
you'd never want to hire the kind of kid that believes he can be great, who doesn't take the easier road, who wants to compete against the best every day?

you'd never want to hire the kind of kid that believes he can be great, who doesn't take the easier road, who wants to compete against the best every day?
So, starting and being the big man on campus for an A-10 school is the "easier road" than being the 12th man off the bench at Duke or UNC, receiving mop up minutes?

So, starting and being the big man on campus for an A-10 school is the "easier road" than being the 12th man off the bench at Duke or UNC, receiving mop up minutes?
I don't think anyone goes to Duke or UNC believing he'll be the 12th man.

I'll never understand this line of thinking. you want a guy to come to UR and be the man instead of going to the highest level the kid believes he can play at. yet you'll freak out when a kid UR wants chooses a lower level program like High Point where maybe he can be the man. so which is it?

This is a silly argument. But I'm still willing to organize a parade for some of these guys...

You make one NCAA tournament in your program's history, and boom...

Hoop Group‏Verified account@TheHoopGroup Oct 21
1f5e3.png
Ryan Young on his commitment “I wanted a balance of high academics and
1f3c0.png
. NU is 1 of the only schools in the nation that exemplifies that” – at Hoop Group Headquarters

DMr8OjvWkAE_ovT.jpg:large

I think some posters only like kids that are NBA ready in HS. I usually look at the tape, read the numbers, and look to see who else is looking.
Correction: They only like NBA ready kids from HS that do not have P5 offers #1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT