ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Abercrombie (The Big Aussie) - 2018 Offer

we recruited (if rivals is anywhere close to accurate) 35 guys in the class of 2016 for 3 spots. we landed Buckingham, Sherod and Golden. are you complaining that we missed on 32 guys? in what we're universally calling one of our best recruiting classes ever?

there are some great names that this board loved in those 32. Hazen, Wesson, Ford, etc. we didn't land them. we got Buckingham, Sherod and Golden. that's the nature of the business. everyone is out there recruiting 35 guys for 3 spots. you go in knowing you'll end up with a 10% success rate. you hope it's the right guys. but even when you're prioritizing them, you don't know for sure who the right guys are.

I'm not going to freak out that we don't land a guy like Abercrombie. no clue if he'll be special. pretty sure Bryce Golden would have been, but we did all we could there. I'm excited about the guys we did land the last few years though. you may not be. and that's ok.
So what’s missing in that analysis is that we had a fourth spot, and one that we needed to fill pretty badly at power forward. We went o-fer on that spot. We ultimately ended up with Kwesi abakah. Nice kid, not capable of playing for us for the most part.

I’m not disputing the quality of last years class. I’m saying we miss far too often to ignore all these other cases. I am excited about the guys we have, I’m not excited we can’t fill a spot that feels fairly critical, in last years class, this years class, and so far next years class.

Of note, I do think Mooney has been swimming upstream when recruiting for most of his time at UR, we are our own worst enemy at times. I don’t mean to lay this exclusively at his feet, but I do want to see us win the battles that are winnable. For those of you who are ignoring those examples, I would challenge you to objectively say we can’t do better.

I wanna see Mooney cross the James River if we sellout GMU and ride a ram through campus if we sell out VCU

Is he grad transfer immediately eligible with two years remaining? He redshirted first year at Boise, played one, then transferred to Rice for two.

yeah, I'm pretty sure. he's definitely a grad transfer. but when he transferred in 2020-21 he had 3 years to play. that year everyone gets back. so after this year he should have 2.

reputation as a great shooter ... which we need. might be more of a 4 than a 5 but that's ok too.

Looks like he did not play many minutes at Rice. I forgot altogether he transferred, or maybe did not notice. Going to be a ton of options to look at for the staff. Of course if all three super seniors are back and we land Quinn, would seem to be done barring a transfer out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT