ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Abercrombie (The Big Aussie) - 2018 Offer

You missed that Josh Duinker grew up 50 miles from him? That should be enough...;)
Josh, a nice person, but does anyone know if he left with a good feeling about his time at UR?
He never seemed to grow as a player- he was just tall. He may not be a strong supporter
to a recruit.

Josh, a nice person, but does anyone know if he left with a good feeling about his time at UR?
He never seemed to grow as a player- he was just tall. He may not be a strong supporter
to a recruit.
Only met Josh once, but he expressed a love for UR.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
to a recruit.

Duinker was here before Mooney was ready as a coach for him . Kid had the skills

Riley is announcing his commitment on Twitter tonight at 7 pm EST.

He took officials to us, Boise State and UNI. Not sure where else. Other offers from Tulsa, Pepperdine, UTEP, Tulane, Hartford, Hofstra, among others.

Last edited:
It appears Boise State has had an Aussie pipeline too. I don't know how you develop one, and apparently we don't know either. Duinker must not have known anyone else in Australia who could play basketball.

I think it's fair to say we have a closing problem. We have lost targets to Duquesne, ECU and now Boise State.

Yes our top target could be Williams or iwoku but it feels like we are swinging and missing.

Really liked Riley and thought he was a good fit for our schemes. Hope we can add Donatas Kupsas as he also seems t be a good fit.

Does anyone have that FBI tipline phone number? Might need to call one in on Boise State.

Yep, this one sucks. Seemed like a kid with high potential. I am not feeling Donatas Kupsas. Anyone know otherwise, but seems he is in the NYC area and starting to climb the charts. May be eligible for some $$ from the shoe boys if he continues this trajectory.

Agree on the closing problem with quality recruits, but losing to Boise State is just a miss, not an embarrassing travesty. Boise State has strong sports programs, an impressive national profile, and a basketball team recently on the rise.

maybe he's never seen snow and thought 4 years of snow would be a good thing ;) as a very general statement I like the play of Eastern Europeans better than the Australians

Reactions: MrTbone and Ulla1
Agree on the closing problem with quality recruits, but losing to Boise State is just a miss, not an embarrassing travesty. Boise State has strong sports programs, an impressive national profile, and a basketball team recently on the rise.
Yeah, I think I’m looking at the collective miss more so than any individual one. I acknowledge there are conditions where we lose guys for reasons other than how our programs compares. I just think we are missing on too many of these on the whole.

Reactions: iSpider
Our Aussie experiment failed . Don't think we have any chance to land any Aussie after Duinkers experience here . Coach just wasn't ready for his skill set.

I suspect that Grant's play over the next four years is likely to more than fulfill our "dreams" about a big center. I would far prefer Grant than any of the guys we have been considering for this year's class. Just wait and see

Reactions: Ulla1
It wasn't either/or. This kid would have been the perfect add for this class. This is the issue. We have one or two good classes, then a missed class. Or One good class and two misses. We need to string some consistency together. I realize we only have one ship for this class, but I would have thought that would allow for better results on that one player. Hopefully we knock it out of the park with our one 2018.

I predict that we will have two scholarships to offer for this class.

sometimes tough for schools our size to recruit depth. there's no clear opening for a recruit to get time next year. that opening from a graduating senior helps.

sometimes tough for schools our size to recruit depth. there's no clear opening for a recruit to get time next year. that opening from a graduating senior helps.
S-man, you have a lot of excuses for our closure problems. I’m not saying they aren’t individually valid, but when one looks at the totality of our ability to land our top few targets each year, we really are not getting the job done. I’m not saying fire mooney, there are enough people on here to do that, but we have got to improve in this regard. If we can’t sell a guy that he’ll get backup minutes at the 4 and 5 his freshman year and probably starter minutes as early as sophomore year, then the staff has got to step up their game. That is a likely scenario with our current roster makeup.

we recruited (if rivals is anywhere close to accurate) 35 guys in the class of 2016 for 3 spots. we landed Buckingham, Sherod and Golden. are you complaining that we missed on 32 guys? in what we're universally calling one of our best recruiting classes ever?

there are some great names that this board loved in those 32. Hazen, Wesson, Ford, etc. we didn't land them. we got Buckingham, Sherod and Golden. that's the nature of the business. everyone is out there recruiting 35 guys for 3 spots. you go in knowing you'll end up with a 10% success rate. you hope it's the right guys. but even when you're prioritizing them, you don't know for sure who the right guys are.

I'm not going to freak out that we don't land a guy like Abercrombie. no clue if he'll be special. pretty sure Bryce Golden would have been, but we did all we could there. I'm excited about the guys we did land the last few years though. you may not be. and that's ok.

Reactions: urfan1
we recruited (if rivals is anywhere close to accurate) 35 guys in the class of 2016 for 3 spots. we landed Buckingham, Sherod and Golden. are you complaining that we missed on 32 guys? in what we're universally calling one of our best recruiting classes ever?

there are some great names that this board loved in those 32. Hazen, Wesson, Ford, etc. we didn't land them. we got Buckingham, Sherod and Golden. that's the nature of the business. everyone is out there recruiting 35 guys for 3 spots. you go in knowing you'll end up with a 10% success rate. you hope it's the right guys. but even when you're prioritizing them, you don't know for sure who the right guys are.

I'm not going to freak out that we don't land a guy like Abercrombie. no clue if he'll be special. pretty sure Bryce Golden would have been, but we did all we could there. I'm excited about the guys we did land the last few years though. you may not be. and that's ok.
"everyone is out there recruiting 35 guys for 3 spots"
Not true, Some are recruiting 27 guys for -1 spots...;)

I was wondering the last few days regarding the nature of our recruitment process. Is it the administration, coaches or current students/athletes that's hurting us when it comes to recruits???????
If I was a prospective student/athlete entertaining the idea of coming to our university, what impression have members of this community (blog) to this problem. Whether it is intentional or not, we can be our own worst enemies...Each of us need to look into our own hearts....if you are doing everything you can to positively impact recruits ....great, keep it up...if not...please make a change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT