ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond NIL

We may have a good base of alumni that cares and donates, but it’s a stretch to say it’s large.
I would say we have a good size alumni base - but if your talking about an alumni base that cares about sports (football and basketball) - that is relatively small. Which is probably why forming an NIL collective for athletes at UR would be near impossible. I don't think we could get the numbers needed to make it worthy - UNLESS - we got the backing of a 2-3 big donors.

Cause for a University that prides itself on a very good business school and a lot of our finance graduates go into lucrative fields with big companies like Goldman Sachs as an example - those people I do not think are the ones giving back to Athletics.

I would say we have a good size alumni base - but if your talking about an alumni base that cares about sports (football and basketball) - that is relatively small. Which is probably why forming an NIL collective for athletes at UR would be near impossible. I don't think we could get the numbers needed to make it worthy - UNLESS - we got the backing of a 2-3 big donors.

Cause for a University that prides itself on a very good business school and a lot of our finance graduates go into lucrative fields with big companies like Goldman Sachs as an example - those people I do not think are the ones giving back to Athletics.
Good size alumni base compared to what other university? We have 800-900 students per class, that’s tiny compared to any major state university and many private colleges.

I’m simply suggesting we don’t have some vast network of alumni from which we draw donations. We have average giving from what I can tell of the data, but what we do have are some well heeled donors who move the needle.

Good size alumni base compared to what other university? We have 800-900 students per class, that’s tiny compared to any major state university and many private colleges.

I’m simply suggesting we don’t have some vast network of alumni from which we draw donations. We have average giving from what I can tell of the data, but what we do have are some well heeled donors who move the needle.
"move the needle" - for Athletics or the University (non-athletics). I think we have good donors outside of Athletics, but our support of athletics is average at best from a donor perspective.

I’m not making any comment on whether donations are going to athletics or the biology department. We have about 55,000 alumni, certainly respectable, but an order of magnitude behind the biggest universities. I don’t know where 55k would rank on a list but my guess is it wouldn’t crack the top100.

Im Just saying it’s weird to state we have a large alumni base. Maybe relative to our annual student enrollment, but we’re hardly big.

Reactions: urfan1
I’m not making any comment on whether donations are going to athletics or the biology department. We have about 55,000 alumni, certainly respectable, but an order of magnitude behind the biggest universities. I don’t know where 55k would rank on a list but my guess is it wouldn’t crack the top100.

Im Just saying it’s weird to state we have a large alumni base. Maybe relative to our annual student enrollment, but we’re hardly big.
There are several universities that have 55k students actively enrolled today though

This is the creation of a marketplace for businesses or people to connect with athletes for NIL deals - this is commonplace now at every major University.

What would be great for Spider Athletics is the creation of the Spider Collective. Where fans and alumni can give and get membership in order to secure "NIL" deals with students. Easy way to give money directly to the kids without going through all the hoops.

Seems like a fair way to do the NIL is that all money gets put in a collective
kitty. Tyler (for example) is a great player, and more money will go to him.
Some poor guy that busts his butt in practice to make Tyler better, but sits on
the end of the bench gets nothing.

parallel to the NIL discussion - and perhaps most interesting to spiderdad - is the Luka Doncic trademark dispute that's being argued right now. Short summary is that when he was 19 he sort of informally gave his mom permission to trademark his name, but now is in a dispute with her as he wants the ownership/rights to it, which makes sense since he's now a global superstar. How the ruling shakes out will affect a lot of how players should go about protecting their name for business uses. Article that summarizes it here if anyone interested. Seems like Shaq is involved in a similar thing with his son too.

the NIL was supposed to allow individual NCAA athletes to monetize their name, image and likeness the same as any non college athlete who has the ability to so if they're popular and promotable. nothing more. it's just supposed to get rid of the restriction.

the intent was never to allow boosters to send money to a collective to use to attract or retain players and to pay all 85 guys on a football team.

Reactions: gospidersgo
And as soon as fat cat supporters of a Texas, Baylor, A & M.etc saw an opponent they
started working it. Everyone would be naive to think that it was done for the interest of
the player.,

Seems like a fair way to do the NIL is that all money gets put in a collective
kitty. Tyler (for example) is a great player, and more money will go to him.
Some poor guy that busts his butt in practice to make Tyler better, but sits on
the end of the bench gets nothing.
if "some poor guys" wants to get NIL money. Here is the way for it to happen. GET BETTER!

NIL marketplace is live. Kind of odd for Gilly, Cayo, and Kobie to be on there. Also an Indiana Tech baseball player who has the same name as former UR football player Alex Light? Unless this Alex Light has an actual UR affiliation I'm unaware of.

Yeah, that was weird. Seems like they tapped into a national service and a few things got jumbled in the process. Par for the course. After the last basketball game they gave out $10 vouchers for the Drake game, which apparently is being played outdoors at "Robins Stadium." Get your tailgating passes early!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT