ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond NIL

We should have taken both. No reason we couldn't have had soccer and lacrosse. If the only obstacle was money, then what was the problem?
Well, the obstacle was Title IX. But too your point, we could have added another women's support to offset the new men's team. But we cut instead.

Reactions: urfan1
it takes a while, but lacrosse has grown so rapidly across the country.
I think with more high schools and colleges like UR starting programs and offering scholarships, diversity of the sport should follow. it's not like hockey which demands a huge annual investment at the youth level.
I think this is a bad take and I say this as someone biased FOR lacrosse. Lacrosse is one of the most prohibitively expensive sports on the market and doesn't draw nearly enough revenue that HS football would but brings all the injuries with it (Sophomore year in HS we had to cancel our season because of injuries).

What low income high school schools are going to be adding Lax? Tee-Jay...John Marshall? Those schools cant even support the sports they do have. Who is going to subsidize Lax the way we subsidize football and basketball at the scholastic level to allow this? Just looking here locally...do you really think any Richmond public school is going to pick it up?...How about Varina or Highland Springs where they actually have money to fund it, but football is the engrained culture? Lacrosse has and always will be an elitist sport until urban and rural america have their lax programs subsidized, good luck getting that earmarked in todays political climate and with football and basketball being the golden ticket to escaping poverty from those communities.

Only a handful of D1 mens lax programs have been added over the past decade despite the popularity of this growth. It would take nearly 2 centuries at the rate of speed to get as many D1 lax teams that they're are soccer. Almost none of them being BCS programs and I can't think of any that are in our academic range that have added it recently. Most all the growth of lax is at the NCAA D3 level. Unless they allow Tufts and Williams college to move up there wont be a large influx of D1 lax programs. We were late to the lax party if anything.

I played at a west end private school in 2005 when there were only a handful of lax teams in the area and it was mainly a club sport. I remember them saying back then how the sport would grow and it did...primarily to schools like homogenous James River, Deep Run, Mills Godwin and Douglass Freeman.

I love lax but IDC what anyone says the way the school went about it was an utter embarrassment to this day and a black eye. Their justifications were pathetic and contradictory to their rhetoric. It never should of gotten to a point that the only way we add Lacrosse is that fans and alums have to pick sides.

Last edited:
Well, the obstacle was Title IX. But too your point, we could have added another women's support to offset the new men's team. But we cut instead.
I love our football program, but aren't they as much as a money drain on our athletic department as the non-revenue sports? I feel that its a convenient red herring argument AD's and presidents to blame title 9 when the majority of athletic departments money go to football programs weather they make money or don't.

We could of gone non scholly in football (I would of been 1000% against this) and no sports would of been dropped though football would be severely neutered. I don't think it would of negatively impacted our budget at all, just our prestige which is why a lot of schools throw money at football to begin with.

The reason I mention this is that the majority of football programs don't make money either but take 63-85 scholarships where you have legit 3rd and 4th stringers who may never see the field on a team that bleeds money, riding the pine getting a scholarship while you have starting baseball/tennis/track/golf athletes on partial scholarships or paying their entire way.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
The Ukrop's are a wonderful family and it is disappointing that Bobby is not as active with the University as he once was. With that said, they are insignificant compared to Queally relative to giving to the University.
My lord. This right here is why our athletic department is so insular and keeps tripping over it own feet. Have you ever thought of the fact that the Bobby Ukrop's of the world, are super well connected with all of the main power figures in and around RVA. So, when we lose someone like him, he still talks with all of the other power players in RVA, courting them to support UR, you think he is doing that now?

Queally has more money, great. Does he have all of those local connections that Bobby had? No, of course he doesn't. And how many other previous high value donors who are not as well known as Bobby Ukrop got this same message because Queally and his enablers came in with his big dollars and the rest of them were basically told thanks for your decades of belief, support, contributions in UR but Queally writes the checks now, so you can keep talking and supporting, but we aren't listening to you as much.

And then add onto the fact, that Queally has a pretty big case of putting his big foot in his mouth and has alienated students and faculty, on top of the loyal local alumni that we jettisoned for his almighty dollars.

So, we got a bunch of nice new buildings out of the deal, but man our culture as the University of Richmond sure has taken a beating in the process.

My lord. This right here is why our athletic department is so insular and keeps tripping over it own feet. Have you ever thought of the fact that the Bobby Ukrop's of the world, are super well connected with all of the main power figures in and around RVA. So, when we lose someone like him, he still talks with all of the other power players in RVA, courting them to support UR, you think he is doing that now?

Queally has more money, great. Does he have all of those local connections that Bobby had? No, of course he doesn't. And how many other previous high value donors who are not as well known as Bobby Ukrop got this same message because Queally and his enablers came in with his big dollars and the rest of them were basically told thanks for your decades of belief, support, contributions in UR but Queally writes the checks now, so you can keep talking and supporting, but we aren't listening to you as much.

And then add onto the fact, that Queally has a pretty big case of putting his big foot in his mouth and has alienated students and faculty, on top of the loyal local alumni that we jettisoned for his almighty dollars.

So, we got a bunch of nice new buildings out of the deal, but man our culture as the University of Richmond sure has taken a beating in the process.
Queally is no Robins and for that its a shame it cost us Bobby Ukrop thinking he was.

Ultimately, this falls on the development people at UR. They hitched our wagon largely to one dude when in reality, they didn't need to. There are plenty of multi-millionaires with ties to our school (including, obviously, dozens on this very board!) who they could have pursued.

And I say this without any inside knowledge here, but it appears they just took the easy/lazy route and kept milking one cash cow as long as they could. On the one hand, I get it – if you know you have an almost limitless supply of milk at home, you're not going to visit 10 different grocery stores to buy more.

But on the other hand, if drinking all that milk at home causes you to forget where all the grocery stores are even located, that's a problem that will come due eventually.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I would think they probably keep in touch with anyone that has shown any inclination of substantial donations in the past, present or projected future. Queally is a donation diffence maker.
spiderman is not.

I would think they probably keep in touch with anyone that has shown any inclination of substantial donations in the past, present or projected future. Queally is a donation diffence maker.
spiderman is not.
At least until 11pm Friday...
That $1.03 B might help...

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman

so we got a bunch of new buildings????? What college needs new buildings?
You're right, a new Wing to the Business School, a new Admissions Center, and a state of the art basketball facility. (PS-read all the comments of the new players about how much the QAB was impressive) If the Qs didn't donate, was there a line of others ready to pay? Bobby Ukrop? Don't think there is enough chicken salad and breakfast pizza to make it happen.

If Q was so negative to the school outside of the $, why does it continue to grow and prosper? Maybe its just you're falling victim to the wokeness of the fake outrage?

If Bobby Ukrop was always such a UR guy, why did none of his kids attend Richmond?

My guess is that anyone that is in the Qs $ stratosphere will think twice about making donations to Richmond. Here is a fact you may not like... Richmond needs more loyal alumni like this-not less.

Who are the "rest of them" that have left?

My point is a well run development office is able to keep both Bobby Ukrop and Queally. And a well run university does not turn over the reins of decision making to one donor, no matter the generosity of that donor. Quealy could have stayed in the background and made his donations but he also wanted the power that came with them and we gave it to him.

So, as I said, we got some nice new building, but the faculty and student body are pissed off at Quealy and most times we see his name in print, it's because he said something dumb.

We could have and should have managed this better and all parties could have been happy, but we didn't. Quealy as our biggest donor should be beloved around campus, but he is not. So, that's a problem, one that isn't going away.

Reactions: Eight Legger
My point is a well run development office is able to keep both Bobby Ukrop and Queally. And a well run university does not turn over the reins of decision making to one donor, no matter the generosity of that donor. Quealy could have stayed in the background and made his donations but he also wanted the power that came with them and we gave it to him.

So, as I said, we got some nice new building, but the faculty and student body are pissed off at Quealy and most times we see his name in print, it's because he said something dumb.

We could have and should have managed this better and all parties could have been happy, but we didn't. Quealy as our biggest donor should be beloved around campus, but he is not. So, that's a problem, one that isn't going away.
While your point is well taken, you are not taking into consideration the personalities of most big donors.
They didn’t get into a position to be a big donor, by being a wallflower.
Also, big donors aren’t donating not to get adulation.

Reactions: Section9.RowD

The students are pissed off at everything these days. Don’t let them run the University either.

Reactions: Spider B
I love our football program, but aren't they as much as a money drain on our athletic department as the non-revenue sports? I feel that its a convenient red herring argument AD's and presidents to blame title 9 when the majority of athletic departments money go to football programs weather they make money or don't.

We could of gone non scholly in football (I would of been 1000% against this) and no sports would of been dropped though football would be severely neutered. I don't think it would of negatively impacted our budget at all, just our prestige which is why a lot of schools throw money at football to begin with.

The reason I mention this is that the majority of football programs don't make money either but take 63-85 scholarships where you have legit 3rd and 4th stringers who may never see the field on a team that bleeds money, riding the pine getting a scholarship while you have starting baseball/tennis/track/golf athletes on partial scholarships or paying their entire way.
No donor cares about tennis, track or golf. Maybe two or three still care about baseball, maybe.

"some nice buildings".... LOL. who else was going to pay for them? You are so naive. The woke faculty needs to get real jobs and they couldn't function in the real world. The students, 99% don't care and the less than 1% who raise a fuss are getting their education paid for by people like the Queallys and the Robins (don't forget they threw paint on the statue of ECR SR last spring). Talk about hypocrisy. The end of the story is that woke faculty and a small number of students have chased away one of the five biggest donor's the school has ever had.... that is not good for business....

We have plenty of uber rich and successful alumni. I suspect we can figure out how to get their money.

If you know you have a source of constant revenue, you probably don't spend a lot of time looking for new ones. So maybe it's time to start looking. But also, when did Queally come out and say he's done donating? I know he's done on the board, but he's still invested in the university. I doubt he stops donating completely.

"some nice buildings".... LOL. who else was going to pay for them? You are so naive. The woke faculty needs to get real jobs and they couldn't function in the real world. The students, 99% don't care and the less than 1% who raise a fuss are getting their education paid for by people like the Queallys and the Robins (don't forget they threw paint on the statue of ECR SR last spring). Talk about hypocrisy. The end of the story is that woke faculty and a small number of students have chased away one of the five biggest donor's the school has ever had.... that is not good for business....
I think to be fair, he kinda chased himself away. You can’t say a bunch of boobish things and not expect people to call it out.

I think to be fair, he kinda chased himself away. You can’t say a bunch of boobish things and not expect people to call it out.
as a non-local with a bad memory ... what did he say? I know there was a videoed thing many years ago that looked bad. is there more?

Lay off the Tucker Carlson man, that shit will rot your brain.

as a non-local with a bad memory ... what did he say? I know there was a videoed thing many years ago that looked bad. is there more?
Yes, he made a public comment about minority students versus “normal” students (I’m paraphrasing). It wasn’t a good look. I believe there was at least one other foot in mouth moment.

I don't know the man. may be an ass. can't say. but I definitely appreciate the donations Queally has made. he's absolutely helped the hoops program in particular. and obviously lacrosse.

so a quick google search led me to the article where a private fraternity/society party was crashed by a reporter looking to take a shot at rich assholes. the article is here, including the "offensive" jokes by Queally aimed at Hilary Clinton and Barney Frank.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of us born before 1980 have told worse jokes. I know I have. glad nobody took notes. I grew up watching Eddie Murphy and Sam Kineson do stand up.

as for the “black, brown and regular students” comment ... that's bad but I'm confident unintentional. nobody would say that on purpose. Biden misspoke at least once too, with his "poor kids are just as bright as white kids" comment. it happens. UR put out a statement that:
“The Trustees in attendance at those meetings strongly disagree with the characterization of Rector Paul Queally’s words, tone, and intent. The conversations were candid and passionate but in the spirit of mutual respect. We are saddened, but hear clearly, that some parties interpreted certain comments as disrespectful.”

I choose to believe that.

The latter was definitely worse and I would say is not something that a person typically says, even by accident, unless he or she has those thoughts privately. It’s just not a normal way to think of people… Black, Brown and “regular?” Come on, Paul.

The latter was definitely worse and I would say is not something that a person typically says, even by accident, unless he or she has those thoughts privately. It’s just not a normal way to think of people… Black, Brown and “regular?” Come on, Paul.
so you think Biden privately thinks "poor kids are just as bright as white kids"?

Reactions: SpiderDogg
I appreciate what M&M PQ have done for the University, even if it did lead to the dismantling of M Track & Soccer. And I know i have said things I wish I had a reverse tape on.

But I do think the University needs to do a better job of having multiple major donors so one does not have so much individual control.

I appreciate what M&M PQ have done for the University, even if it did lead to the dismantling of M Track & Soccer. And I know i have said things I wish I had a reverse tape on.

But I do think the University needs to do a better job of having multiple major donors so one does not have so much individual control.
I am going to go w/ alumni in Q's financial capability has seen what has happened to him and will donate elsewhere.

I am going to go w/ alumni in Q's financial capability has seen what has happened to him and will donate elsewhere.
It’s a double edge sword. Those with the ability to donate Quealy type money, may not have agreed with Quealy
and had held back until now.
Keep in mind, Quealy may have had a long term plan on his support of the University, and is now able to do it
more anonymously.

Yes, we want as many donors as possible. The issue is that there are different levels of major donors. PQ is the 2nd highest donor in the history of the University. The university is lucky to get one his level every 40 years. As mentioned before, I think highly of Bobby U, but it takes 30 people at Bobby's giving level to equal one Paul.

Yes, we want as many donors as possible. The issue is that there are different levels of major donors. PQ is the 2nd highest donor in the history of the University. The university is lucky to get one his level every 40 years. As mentioned before, I think highly of Bobby U, but it takes 30 people at Bobby's giving level to equal one Paul.
I wonder if there is a list? I personally know a lady that literally flys all over the country to get donations for Johns Hopkins University. Keep in mind, Michael Bloomberg is their Quealy.
i‘ll never forget one of the men I worked part-time for in Richmond. He was already in debt for over a million dollars back in the early 70’s. Now he’s worth millions He always said, “it takes money, to make money.”
My point being, do we have a professional and aggressive fund raising department?

I wonder if there is a list? I personally know a lady that literally flys all over the country to get donations for Johns Hopkins University. Keep in mind, Michael Bloomberg is their Quealy.
i‘ll never forget one of the men I worked part-time for in Richmond. He was already in debt for over a million dollars back in the early 70’s. Now he’s worth millions He always said, “it takes money, to make money.”
My point being, do we have a professional and aggressive fund raising department?
Yes, we have a large development team that has done a very good job over time, although we recently lost 2 of the strongest members of their team.

I would hope so…we’ve got about 50 people on staff focused on raising money.

Random comment on something that jumped out to me and not judging whether it is good or bad....but seems as though 80 to 90% of staff is white female. Strikes me as odd when DEI seems to drive so much of our school's focus now.

Again, no judgments attached, just seems out of sync with who we say we want to be.

The folks who make the real money for UR are:

Spider Management Company, LLC

University Of Richmond - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT