ADVERTISEMENT

Randolph

depends on who he's passing to!

floaters are pretty but they're not that high a percentage shot for most. an open 3 is usually a better shot than a contested 2 from a 5'10" player. Nelson hits 46.6% of his 2's ... contested or not.
We shoot 36.4 percent from 3, so I like those odds better personally.

I don't think the 29 minutes of game time probably made much difference for Randolph vs. 0 minutes. But I think it would be silly to look over the preparation, mental and physical readiness, etc. that being on the active roster requires. For better or worse, a redshirt has no chance of playing and therefore the urgency that goes along with being ready to go in is missing.

Reactions: spider23
I will ask this.

You have 5 seasons of minutes.

Would you rather have 30, 300, 600, 900, 0
or 0, 30, 300, 600, 900?

I don't think the 29 minutes of game time probably made much difference for Randolph vs. 0 minutes. But I think it would be silly to look over the preparation, mental and physical readiness, etc. that being on the active roster requires. For better or worse, a redshirt has no chance of playing and therefore the urgency that goes along with being ready to go in is missing.
I agree with most of this, but would say you better show urgency every day in practice as a redshirt or your chances to ever get good playing time would reduce dramatically. Coaches would see right through who is giving their all every day and who isn't.

I haven't noticed a lack of urgency from Nelson. Far from it. Not sure why you would say that except it allowed you to throw in another Mooney cheap shot?
I didn't reply to you sarcastically, nor did I take a cheap shot at your opinion. It would show some maturity if you could learn to do the same. As far as Mooney, he makes one and a quarter million, wins just over half his games (career), and has an abysmal (3 for 18) NCAA tournament resume. He has earned all criticism that comes his way.

You didn't notice, fine, that doesn't mean that others share your opinion. I don't think it difficult to find a camp that feels as though Nelson's 50/50 performance in games is the major (not only) reason that the team is 7-7. I know from talking with others that I am not the only one who feels that playing with more urgency (purpose) and efficiency will make him better. We have seen too much unproductive time meandering with the ball (standing out front holding the ball is one example, and aimlessly dribbling about with no obvious intent is another). It is not uncommon for many of his passes to be 1) not in an advantageous location for the receiver, 2) not crisp, or 3) not on time for the receiver.

You know that the location and timing of a pass plays a large role in the receiver's ability to do something positive with it. Nelson isn't the only one whose passes could be a lot sharper, but he has the ball in his hands a lot, therefore he has a major impact on the offense. Less than great passing is also part of the reason that Roche can't get off more shots (I didn't say that Roche's limited shots were all Nelson's fault). If you haven't noticed, fine. I suggest that you watch for it over the next few games.

This post regarding Nelson's play thus far has nothing to do with bashing him, he has had some good games. I was one of the first on here to say that I think that Nelson will be a very good player. If you want to discover the overarching point of this response, you can go back and read my earlier sentiment as to why I think that more Randolph and less Nelson is what is best for the team at this point.

Last edited:
... you can go back and read my earlier sentiment as to why I think that more Randolph and less Nelson is what is best for the team at this point.
my issue is that as much as I like Randolph ... I don't see anything resembling a PG in his play. the young man has 6 assists. Goose has a little, but he's still not a PG to me. and Dji is out.

I know we're not a ball-dominated PG type team, but I do think we need to have a PG on the floor the bulk of the time. so I think we ride with Nelson.

Reactions: gcarter52
I agree with most of this, but would say you better show urgency every day in practice as a redshirt or your chances to ever get good playing time would reduce dramatically. Coaches would see right through who is giving their all every day and who isn't.
yeah, I agree with this. if you're not busting it as a redshirt player to make yourself and your teammates better, then you're not the right guy. and I don't think a guy with that attitude could even get to this D1 level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT