ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterfinal Game Thread 1130 Thursday against St. Joes - USA network

I didnt grow up in Richmond. Why would I hate VCU? They are a good program that cares about winning very much, and I respect that. Its a program to be proud of if your a fan. Hard to say that about Spider basketball under Mooney and 1 bid since Ive been watching since 2012. I root for UR because my son went there.
I'm not from Richmond. I attended and graduated from the University of Richmond. I cheer for Richmond not Mooney or any other coach. You wouldn't understand, maybe your son would.

I'm not from Richmond. I attended and graduated from the University of Richmond. I cheer for Richmond not Mooney or any other coach. You wouldn't understand, maybe your son would.
Once UR is out of it, you dont root for other teams? OK. I like CBB too much to stop watching and rooting. Im an underdog guy so any mid major I want to win, and def any team from the A10.

Once UR is out of it, you dont root for other teams? OK. I like CBB too much to stop watching and rooting. Im an underdog guy so any mid major I want to win, and def any team from the A10.
I’m from Southern California and went to University of Richmond. There are plenty of other teams I root for come tournament team. There is only one school that courses through my veins and is a part of me. I understand that you’re a fan by proxy, but to some of us Richmond is the one team that we have a true connection with and the only one we want to see succeed.

None of this “not a real fan” business. I’ll take all the Spiders fans we can get. But the Spiders are the one team for me. There’s nothing like the pride I feel when we win and the agony when we suffer defeat. For me rooting for VCU would feel like treason.

Didn't say that. Love sports, root for many teams. 361 others, just not that one. I have a nephew that got his graduate degree from VCU. He gave me a VCU hoodie for Christmas one year. I took it outside and burned it and gave him his money back. Fvcu.

Didn't say that. Love sports, root for many teams. 361 others, just not that one. I have a nephew that got his graduate degree from VCU. He gave me a VCU hoodie for Christmas one year. I took it outside and burned it and gave him his money back. Fvcu.
My step daughters boyfriend went to vcu (she went to VT)...she came over wearing a vcu rugby shirt, I told her to change or leave, she changed.....my daughter's friend left a vcu shirt at my house, I threw it away.....hate runs deep!

My dead friend left me his sports shirts collection in his Will.
It included a VCU shirt, I kept it to honor him.

But it has never seen the light of day…

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I want VCU to win it again. Sorry local Richmonders. It will show just how much more they want to WIN than UR and how much better their program is. Of course, it won’t light any fires under the UR administration to expect better, but it should. VCU does not accept mediocrity.

The number of VCU at-large and overall NCAA appearances compared to CM is laughable. Mooney has one at-large in 19 seasons. 12 total bids to 3, and many were at large bids. I hope they make it 13.

Cutting the nets down before actually winning the championship, with photos like they won the NC, then to play abysmal basketball after that speaks volumes about what he cares about.
If you honestly think that anyone associated with the team was fully satisfied with a regular season co-championship and said, "well, our job here is done", I don't know what to tell you. This is inane.

That is one observation that has driven me insane many times this season. There have been too many times he (and Walz too - which again points to coaching/system) at the elbow, the defender is literally at the block/charge line under the basket - and no look at the basket. First move is to move away and look for next pass. And yes I think our offense has been pretty efficient - but why not take what the defense gives you. Was very happy a few games back when I saw defense sag off Walz - I didn't think Walz noticed - but then he turned and swished the 12 foot shot. YES!

A good, scrappy team got let down (again) by poor coaching. It was the key factor that cost them the game and thus a possible bid.

Yes, teams win and lose games; but, this theme is nauseatingly consistent. Anyone with higher aspirations for the program and the players is once again sick on their stomach. It should not be acceptable.

Well - VCU got everything they need to win it - Loyola and Dayton knocked out. The A10 title is theirs to lose in my mind.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Not sure why anyone would expect them to beat St. Joe's if the Hawks play like they played against us, or Bonaventure, which has swept them already this year, or Duquesne, who beat them at vcu this month.

Not sure why anyone would expect them to beat St. Joe's if the Hawks play like they played against us, or Bonaventure, which has swept them already this year, or Duquesne, who beat them at vcu this month.
St. Joes will be tough. But this is where depth really comes into play and I think VCU just has a little more depth than St. Joes and that might be the difference - especially when your playing multi games in back to back days.

Then once you get to the finals - anything can happen.

vcu's depth beyond Bamisile and Lawal basically is Nelson, who is useless at this point and likely will cost them the game if he has to play very many minutes, and Wheeler, who almost fouled out in 5 minutes with 0 points.

• Haha
The problem with living in Richmond and being a UR graduate, is that many many thousands of VCU students and alumni live here. Year after year I get bombarded with VCU sports on tv, billboards, and countless people wearing their apparel. Walk in to Dicks and nothing but VT, UVa, and VCU junk. Look hard and you might find one UR tee shirt on the clearance rack (size extra small). The VCU crowd loves to brag, and I don't blame them.
But I don't have to like it.

St. Joes will be tough. But this is where depth really comes into play and I think VCU just has a little more depth than St. Joes and that might be the difference - especially when your playing multi games in back to back days.

Then once you get to the finals - anything can happen.
St. Joes, Duquesne, Bonnie's, I believe all were picked towards the Top of the A-10 preseason. So, they all have the talent to win it all. I don't think VCU is prohibitive to win it, all of these teams are fully capable of beating a VCU team that ended the season on 3 game losing streak.

I think what we saw yesterday is this:

1. The talent differential in the Top 10 teams in the league is neglible. All 4 of those games were pick-ems in my mind. I think the teams that played the day before had some momentum and came adjusted to the tourney and arena.
2. Dayton is the biggest paper tiger. They are probably still a single digit seed. They are going to be one and done in the NCAA. Their guard play is subpar and outside of Holmes, literally no one else on that team scares me in the least.
3. Any of the 4 remaining teams can win the league. Rooting for Duquesne cause they have never won it.

That is one observation that has driven me insane many times this season. There have been too many times he (and Walz too - which again points to coaching/system) at the elbow, the defender is literally at the block/charge line under the basket - and no look at the basket. First move is to move away and look for next pass. And yes I think our offense has been pretty efficient - but why not take what the defense gives you. Was very happy a few games back when I saw defense sag off Walz - I didn't think Walz noticed - but then he turned and swished the 12 foot shot. YES!
CM just doesn't adjust to take advantage of his advantages. Quinn could have scored 40 if he was on the block and looking to score. Make Joe's double Quinn to open up 3s. I know he has his system, but hood grief we had a legit 7 ft player who spent the majority of the year floating around the 3 point line.

is it that different to shoot in a bigger arena like Barclays?
feels like the entire league shot horribly yesterday. I know defense travels, but there were plenty of good looks.

That was really a strength when we had Cayo working low block. No he was not going to hit many 3's but when he and Golden had that high/low going and Cayo was doing damage, it really opened up the 3's. The ideal 4 is Justin Harper. After the big man camp between junior and senior years, he came back with a very nice low post game. And could step out and hit 3's. Bigs probably my favorite player this season, but his game was more 3's and cutting to the hoop - with of course the fade away jumpers :).

feels like the entire league shot horribly yesterday. I know defense travels, but there were plenty of good looks.
I think it is. I remember playing in U hall at UVA in the state championships (round of 4) in high school, it seemed all the teams shot terrible and I remember people talking about it. Heck I remember guys from our 30+ league - when we played at our middle school there was a big empty space behind the one basket. A couple guys that had played college hoops would talk about the sight lines and warm up at that basket to try to get adjusted. I think the empty seats and space definitely affect.

Reactions: spiderman

I do. Vegas does. They r now betting favorite. They get the revenge tour which I've always thought had merit. It's why the Goo Moo/Umass could have been our best path.

Look at VCU's A10 record that has been posted. They get it done. It brings me great pain to say. Heck I put a decent amount on 10-1 ticket for VCU to win it all and I'm actively rooting for me to lose. But u get 10-1 on VCU in A10 that's a no brainer.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
That was really a strength when we had Cayo working low block. No he was not going to hit many 3's but when he and Golden had that high/low going and Cayo was doing damage, it really opened up the 3's. The ideal 4 is Justin Harper. After the big man camp between junior and senior years, he came back with a very nice low post game. And could step out and hit 3's. Bigs probably my favorite player this season, but his game was more 3's and cutting to the hoop - with of course the fade away jumpers :).
This is completely revisionist. We had reams of threads dedicated to the fact that Cayo was such a non-threat from the three point line that it was killing our offense because his guy would just camp in the lane.

Reactions: SpiderRick
I am talking about his ability to score down low. Once he became a low post threat it really opened things up. YES, when he was on the wing, he did not have to be guarded. AT SOME POINT, moon FINALLY put him down low, it was a good move and opened things up. Not revisionist.

He almost never played with his back to the basket down low. He would start with the ball on the wing or short corner and then drive with like fifteen pivots and fakes. He wasn't parked on the block waiting for entry passes almost ever.

I guess you dont believe in the power of psychology.

It's a thing u r right. a coach is part pyschologist/part motivator. I think there was a hangover after St Joes reg season net cutting. 19 A10 games. The only game out of 19 i questioned effort was the Goo Moos game. Came right after St Joes no surprise. And I think part of that was we were not locked into at large. Mooney says he does not talk about it. Maybe bc the admin doesn't put ncaa expectation on him. I think the players look at sites but u need a vet coach to validate sometimes. such as this can be done, bigger prize ahead, must win game. We exhaled. Wait a couple more weeks then exhale.

He almost never played with his back to the basket down low. He would start with the ball on the wing or short corner and then drive with like fifteen pivots and fakes. He wasn't parked on the block waiting for entry passes almost ever.
Pull the tape. One game I went it at URI that year he got fed in the block quite a bit. Yes he also got it about 10 feet out on the extended block and never faced the basket just backed in. When rhody couldn't stop him with their 6'9 guy we gir wide open 3s.

The problem with living in Richmond and being a UR graduate, is that many many thousands of VCU students and alumni live here. Year after year I get bombarded with VCU sports on tv, billboards, and countless people wearing their apparel. Walk in to Dicks and nothing but VT, UVa, and VCU junk. Look hard and you might find one UR tee shirt on the clearance rack (size extra small). The VCU crowd loves to brag, and I don't blame them.
But dont you think there is a reason for that? VCU is the bigger/public school I know but success builds a fan base. If the records were flipped I bet their would be a lot more UR merchandise being sold.

Reactions: SpiderRick
How in the world is this loss on Mooney to some of you? I’m no Mooney lover, but he didn’t tell the guys to go shoot 27% from 3 and 42% from the floor. We were only outrebounded on the offensive glass by 6. And we only gave up 4 fast break points to a team that wants to live in transition. The guys on the floor just did not play well enough.

Add to that Reynolds who played out of his mind
How many points did we give up by not getting the offensive
Not sure I know what they have to brag about

This why we had a huge advantage. Place Quinn down low so you don’t have to rely on outside shooting, especially when the whole league is chasing around king and daring Quinn to beat them.

Death, taxes, Eight Legger kiss of death.

I do. Vegas does. They r now betting favorite. They get the revenge tour which I've always thought had merit. It's why the Goo Moo/Umass could have been our best path.

Look at VCU's A10 record that has been posted. They get it done. It brings me great pain to say. Heck I put a decent amount on 10-1 ticket for VCU to win it all and I'm actively rooting for me to lose. But u get 10-1 on VCU in A10 that's a no brainer.

For the record I doubled down on vcu at +200. Normally when u got something at 10-1 the play may be a hedge bet against. No hedge. Double down instead. That’s how confident I am. I’ve seen this story play out too many times.

For the record I doubled down on vcu at +200. Normally when u got something at 10-1 the play may be a hedge bet against. No hedge. Double down instead. That’s how confident I am. I’ve seen this story play out too many times.
Different team, different year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT