ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterfinal Game Thread 1130 Thursday against St. Joes - USA network

Gonna have to hold the rage back on this one. F*ck chris mooney is the best way to sum it up. He’s a joke man idc what anyone says. Put all the money we put into basketball and pay him 2.5 million to be mediocre for the most part and piss down his leg when it matters. In what other business anywhere would this be acceptable? He’s soft as cotton and the team reflects that attitude, said it so many times. How about you take coaching basketball more seriously rather than your fancy suits your spending all that not hard earned money on? Get us a more serious coach man. Season is now a failure and if you view it as anything other than that I have to assume you have a losers mindset. Seems to be a common theme around spider basketball.

You need to go outside and take a breath. I’m about to go for a walk around the lake at my in-laws. I’m upset but this word diarrhea isn’t going to make you feel better and isn’t going to change anything. You’re the only one who can decide how you choose to react to this. We’re all disappointed but this vitriol doesn’t do any good to anybody.

I was hoping that Mooney would make a run in this tournament and win it so some sucker P5 AD would hire him away. After winning coach of the year it was the perfect time to parlay that into a bigger contract somewhere. We truly are stuck with him for life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
You need to go outside and take a breath. I’m about to go for a walk around the lake at my in-laws. I’m upset but this word diarrhea isn’t going to make you feel better and isn’t going to change anything. You’re the only one who can decide how you choose to react to this. We’re all disappointed but this vitriol doesn’t do any good to anybody.
Maybe we could just get rid of the guy and get a more serious coach? How is putting the money we put into basketball and getting these type of results acceptable? Not sure there’s another program that gets a worse return on investment than we do currently.

Our achillies heal, year in and year out. When you forsake offensive rebounds as practice, it should not be a surprise that the you are not as great on other end either.
UR finished 362 out of 362 ranked college teams in team offensive rebounding! I'm with you. You cannot count on winning consistently with a one shot offense.

Should have never cut the nets down against these guys. Save your celebrations for Brooklyn.
That was such a Mooney thing. Needs to bask is any success he can get. Very immature imo. I don’t think Dick would have celebrated like that before actually clinching the sole title. Certainly wasnt a motivator to want the big prize.

How in the world is this loss on Mooney to some of you? I’m no Mooney lover, but he didn’t tell the guys to go shoot 27% from 3 and 42% from the floor. We were only outrebounded on the offensive glass by 6. And we only gave up 4 fast break points to a team that wants to live in transition. The guys on the floor just did not play well enough.

Add to that Reynolds who played out of his mind

• Sad
Reactions: plydogg
Not going back to read the thread but thoughts from the game:

Figure out how to stop high ball screen last 25 possessions? Nah.

Quinn went to check himself into game unprompted at 10m mark and Moon had him wait for tv timeout instead of burning a TO to get him back in. Literally stood up unprompted and walked over and said I’m going back in. Call timeout and put him in! SJU hit a 3 while he waited. Would have been nice to get those points back.

I was hoping that Mooney would make a run in this tournament and win it so some sucker P5 coach would hire him away. After winning coach of the year it was the perfect time to parlay that into a bigger contract somewhere. We truly are stuck with him for life.

I didn't think I could get any sadder but you just found me another level. When your 75 you realize that he really will be coach for life.

How in the world is this loss on Mooney to some of you? I’m no Mooney lover, but he didn’t tell the guys to go shoot 27% from 3 and 42% from the floor. We were only outrebounded on the offensive glass by 6. And we only gave up 4 fast break points to a team that wants to live in transition. The guys on the floor just did not play well enough.

Because it’s a mindset thing. TeM reflects his mindset and we’ve seen it for years and are tired of it. His teams have never had a killer instinct and that has to do with him. How about the whole just no teaching rebounding thing? Can’t ignore that. Or even today look at when reynolds started going off because of those balls screens, maybe do something about that instead of trying the same thing over and over?

That was such a Mooney thing. Needs to bask is any success he can get. Very immature imo. I don’t think Dick would have celebrated like that before actually clinching the sole title. Certainly wasnt a motivator to want the big prize.

I said it was lame b4 the st joes game a week ago. Bad vibes. Most ok w it. Some other teams obviously do it but it’s different imo if u have a bid locked up or in a no doubt 1 bid league.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Because it’s a mindset thing. TeM reflects his mindset and we’ve seen it for years and are tired of it. His teams have never had a killer instinct and that has to do with him. How about the whole just no teaching rebounding thing? Can’t ignore that. Or even today look at when reynolds started going off because of those balls screens, maybe do something about that instead of trying the same thing over and over?
How would you have stopped Reynolds off the screens, coach? The rebounding went downhill when Bigelow got into foul trouble

Reactions: urfan1
A10 title is MEANINGLESS, a hollow victory. Mooney is just not a good sideline coach and never will be. The sad thing is the I'm not surprised.
I'm so tired of all the disappointments over the last 20 years. Might as well turn down the NIT to avoid another first round loss.
Hang on for raise and extension coming soon.

I think a bunch of us said, shooting does not go well at 11:30 in an empty Barclays, in a high pressure situation. Go to the cup.

Is any school trying to lure him away?
If we say it enough here, maybe some AI picks it up and the rumor spreads.

He was the coach of the year, which should be very attractive to a private school in a conference with a lot of publics (like the a10). /s

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Honestly, I'm glad we cut the nets down. We've never had a chance to do that before, and we won the marathon that is a conference season. Celebrate it. Not celebrating it would not have guaranteed us winning the tournament. So then what? You have a great season and don't get to celebrate any of it.

I think we all figured our odds of winning both the regular season and the tournament were slim, but we won something we had never won before, and I'm glad for the team's sake that they got to celebrate that (and those of us who were there got to enjoy it, too).

Every post you have screams "I'M A SPOILED, ENTITLED MILLENIAL".

You showed up with your new handle on March 4, and we are 1-2 with you re-emerging as an active poster. Thanks for ruining an enjoyable season.

On a positive note, vcu will not get to end our season.

Wish we had that chance but it was basically a 1 in 4 shot. They r usually in our heads. They’ll have little trouble w Joes if they get by Umass. Easy access to finals imo. I’m liking my 10-1 bet on vcu even tho I want it to lose.

Reactions: Ram Bal
I wonder what the odds r of having a double digit lead losing it completely getting another double digit lead and losing game. Add us to that small list. & as a 1 seed in conf tourney it has to be ridiculously rare. Ugh. Had to feel good after getting the 2nd one. Effort by the Spids was fine but brutal losing game like that.

This game was what we have thought and known for a while now, especially since we entered A10 play. If King doesn't lead us and score near 20 or more, we will have trouble. Doesn't mean we can't win - but it becomes very difficult. And I feel bad for King. He has been the A10 POY all season long, with the exception of his last 2 games - and unfortunately - those last 2 games really stung. Quinn had 21 - but it was all 2's, and every 2 he takes and makes is one less 3 someone else, especially King makes.

Then add on we got nothing from Hunt and Bigelow, and our bench was again not there - it was a struggle.

Overall good season. Lets just hope VCU doesn't win the A10 tourney, that would be the salt in the wound.

Reactions: Ram Bal and urfan1
Quinn played a very good game with the exception of the coverage on the high ball screens for Reynolds. HOWEVER, that is not all Quinn's fault, positioning him half way between the driving Reynolds and the basket set him up for failure on those drives.

Mooney was absolutely spanked today! Lang outcoached him by a million miles. Just a few examples:
1) Lang had a strong defensive game plan. Make somebody not named King beat you
2) Good coaching by Lang to put a big athletic defender on King. This has worked against King numerous times this year. Lang implemented the strategy
3) Have an athletic player face guard King in an attempt to keep him from getting the ball. Good coaching by Lang
4) Good coaching by Lang exploited Richmond defense with Reynolds high ball screen during key stretch of game. Spiders played it very poorly over-and-over (Quinn & others were absolutely abused) until the last few possessions when Mooney finally had Bailey tight trying to deny Reynolds the ball
5) Mooney has zero adjustments to try and help King. The keep it away from King defensive strategy has been deployed by opponents for the last third of season. Mooney had nothing
6) Reynolds and St. Joe were destroying UR with high ball screen. Mooney's defenders were caught repeatedly half way between driving Reynolds and hoop. Reynolds blew right by them time-after-time. Mooney had nothing until last couple of possessions, which at that point was too late
7) Around 6-minute mark (don't remember the exact minutes) St. Joe was making a run and gaining momentum, Mooney was literally standing mute on sidelines with both hands in his pockets (finger up his ass). Mooney literally had nothing
8) Around 4-minute mark (don't recall exact minute) Richmond up a couple. Quinn was gassed. He came lumbering late into huddle on dead ball. Would have been a good time to get him a minute / minute-half rest (with the lead) so that he would be fresher for last couple minutes
9) Fouling with 41-seconds left, 1-possession game, and needing a stop. That is questionable coach decision-making. If it works I guess you can celebrate, but it can rightfully be termed out of the norm coaching strategy. It didn't work
10) End of game execution poor for Spiders. Mooney had nothing

These are literally just a few of the coaching issues. The list could go on and on.

Some goofballs may have voted for Mooney for Coach of the Year, but that is a complete farce! Coach of the Year (laugh out loud) guided a good veteran team to a collapse when it counted the most. Sound familiar for a Mooney coached team?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why all the vitriol on Mooney now, this is not a surprise. This is wash, rinse, repeat every year but like 2. I felt pretty confident they weren't going win this game or if they did it would be very close. Quinn tried to carry the team today, but just couldn't do it.

At least I don't have to watch the rest of the A10 tourney.

I feel for you Rick, it is a Mooney world you will be living in. If I don't stop eating cheeseburgers he will probably be the last coach I see at Richmond too.

I know truther nation hates any criticism of Mooney, but I will say I was a big fan of his early when he was losing, and then when he broke through to the NCAA's but even then I always thought our model was to find the next guy. But we handed out a 10 year contract, he lost momentum - that is human nature.

He has put together good years 2 out of the last 3 years - even though really underachieved in the regular season with the NCAA team. So there is some hope he is figuring things out. I do like our young talent, and he has done pretty good in the portal - but still only one NCAA since 2011. Which I don't think is acceptable, but most here do. Hopefully McGlothin and Robinson are that guy and we can build around, but its tough in this landscape to expect too much with a young team.

9) Fouling with 41-seconds left, 1-possession game, and needing a stop. That is questionable coach decision-making. If it works I guess you can celebrate, but it can rightfully be termed out of the norm coaching strategy. It didn't work

Lots of great points but I really, truly want an answer on this one. We know we will never get it though.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT