ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Facility

Nowhere in this thread have we discussed the facilities – or lackhereof – for our championship quidditch team. How much longer will those student-athletes be overlooked?!?

Reactions: SpiderK
Eight, all kids want now is an X-Box/Play Station facility. Bridge and Chess are out.

Nowhere in this thread have we discussed the facilities – or lackhereof – for our championship quidditch team. How much longer will those student-athletes be overlooked?!?

Did we win the national championship! Where are we hanging the banner?

the quiddich team has an imaginary practice facility.

Major improvements need to be made to the weight room and training room. I think there are plans in place to renovate these (hopefully soon), but those need to be upgraded before a practice facility. We are severely trailing behind other schools in that regard.

This week, i'll be hearing about the soon to be announced Capital Campaign and can report back. I'm excited to hear what's coming.

We should all re-watch "He got Game" to re-familiarize ourselves with the D1 basketball recruitment process. Nowhere did any of the HOF coaches talk about the practice facility. Emphasis was on the arena, the campus, and the young ladies. We have a great story to tell with the first two items, we just need to put renewed focus on the third leg of the tripod. We need to find attractive, sociable Westhampton women who are willing to give their all for the team!

Reactions: mojo-spider
Problem with that premise of watching "He Got Game" is that movie was from 1998. Times have changed. It is just an arms race. There was a time when all teams flew commercial to away games, then private or charter flights became the latest and greatest thing. I would guess now that the majority if not all power six conference schools fly charter and a good portion of your mid-major programs (ourselves included) use charter flights on a frequent basis. Sure - schools make the argument it gets kids back to school quicker, but we all know that is not the main reason for charter flights and the added expense. Now - I think the "in" thing is just practice facilities. It just another "thing" to dangle in front of recruits when they come for a visit and you try to pick a school. 10 years from now - it will be something else - especially with schools providing stipends, I am sure that will cause some "arms race" in a way.

No kid is picking a school based on the practice facility - that is ridiculous. They are picking based on the total package. And when your trying to pick schools with all things being equal - but maybe School A has better locker rooms, weight rooms, and a practice facility and School B does not have all those new things - there will be kids where that sways the decision.

And I agree with the young ladies sentiment - does anyone know if UR basketball uses "hostesses" when recruits visit?

1998 or not, I think the top 3 items (arena, campus, and ladies) are still the top 3 items. Perhaps quality of food has a place as well. Practice facilities may not have been in vogue or even a factor in 1998, but my point is that the practice facility is probably outside the top 5 decision factors for recruits in 2015.

We should be actively trying to improve that third decision factor.

Reactions: SpiderK
1998 or not, I think the top 3 items (arena, campus, and ladies) are still the top 3 items. Perhaps quality of food has a place as well. Practice facilities may not have been in vogue or even a factor in 1998, but my point is that the practice facility is probably outside the top 5 decision factors for recruits in 2015.

We should be actively trying to improve that third decision factor.
You guys are missing the top two reasons that players pick a school:
1. Is the team any good/will the recruit get playing time
2. Does he like the coach(es)

All that other stuff is window dressing. Edge cases might push a guy either to or from a school where all else is equal, but overall, I think they pick on the quality of the program and how they feel about the coach.

I should have specified the top 3 "tangible" reasons...

Plus there is a bit of sarcasm in my post(s), can UR realistically improve the "female" factor for hoops recruits, probably not.

Tbone - those are without a doubt the top 2 reasons, with playing time being a big number 1 I think these days. The other parts are window dressing - but they are important parts as well.

Its like buying a car - you find the car you like, you could just get the base model with none of the upgrades because 1) You like the car 2) You know its reliable. But then maybe one dealership throws in the fancy wheels, sunroof, sound system, leather seats, etc. While the other salesmen at the other dealership, who you like a lot - sticks to the base model, or maybe throws in one upgrade.

All these coaches out there that recruit - at least the good ones - can sell their school to anyone and formulate a good relationship with a kid. That is why these kids always seem to have 4-5 good options to choose from. So what makes a kid choose school A over school B, when he likes the coaches at both schools and thinks he can play at both schools. It might just be those fancy wheels and leather seats.

I don't think playing time is a factor at all. every one of these kids believes he'll earn playing time. I think #1a and #1b are the reputation of the program and the reputation of the conference. i.e. street cred.
very few kids turn down the program that makes the all the people in their town and everyone they've played with and against go "Wow!". you think we missed on AW because of playing time or how much he liked Bill Self?

Playing time matters, if there are a bunch of guys ahead of you on the roster, the player evaluates if they will only play a lot senior year vs earlier.

But overall agree, they are picking best program.

I do think the coach matters. Again these are more likely edge issues where a really good personality pulls you in or conversely a bad one drives you away. My only point was that the practice gyms of the world probably influence a very small portion of the recruits, particularly our recruits.

I agree with most of the posters on this thread. I don't think UR needs a practice facility if the team isn't having any issues practicing in the Robins Center. UR, at least currently, doesn't need to spend money on something that may or may not attract recruits. You guys have high standards when it comes academics, not excluding the academics of your recruits. The recruits that are invested in academics will find UR very appealing due to the clout of the degree if they aren't able to make it to the next level.

Very impressive looking ~$30M Capital Campaign for athletics does not include a hoops practice facility. If you think we need one, I suppose they'd accept your private donation to fund it in its entirety. We can probably revisit this conversation in 15-20 years.

When are they going public with the campaign? From what I've heard, some very nice upgrades for nearly all sports, although our most successful A-10 program is once again being shortchanged.

When are they going public with the campaign? From what I've heard, some very nice upgrades for nearly all sports, although our most successful A-10 program is once again being shortchanged.
You mean the badminton team isn't getting new nets???

Reactions: VCUPal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT