ADVERTISEMENT

Oddo to the ville

From the Noke to the Ville?

Does he get Kimble's spot?

Oddo, who has ambitions to coach after college, will join the Cardinals as a non-scholarship player in 2019-20.
“Thank you to Coach Mack and the University of Louisville staff for this unbelievable opportunity,” Oddo wrote on Instagram. “I can’t wait to start my Masters degree in Sports Administration this coming week.

So he wants to coach after playing. I guess he learned everything he could under Mooney and now will take it a step further. Of course sometimes you learn a lot from witnessing mistakes that have been made. Oddo now goes to a more positive learning side of coaching. Good for him!

Nice UR-to-Louisville pipeline we are setting up here. Let's hope Grant, Nick and Blake aren't paying any attention to it...

Reactions: coach fezz
Let's hope this is the last installment payment Mooney owes Mack (for what purpose I am still investigating), but I fear that one or more on EL's list may be next.

Malcolm Bernard.....Fore.....Oddo.........

Let's hope Mr. Mack is done with us for the near future.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I'd like to see Noah follow up on that. So far he has only tweeted his congratulations.
I would find that an interesting story. Guessing he probably wasn't getting the warm fuzzies (or an actual $cholarship offer at the D1 level) and changed gears. Louisville being picked top 10 next year I believe, so should be an exciting ride, and gets to learn from one of the very best in the business. Mack comes off as the anti Mooney.

Let's hope this is the last installment payment Mooney owes Mack (for what purpose I am still investigating), but I fear that one or more on EL's list may be next.

Malcolm Bernard.....Fore.....Oddo.........

Let's hope Mr. Mack is done with us for the near future.
I have the strangest feeling there are some here who would be ok if he poached a certain 6'6" 46 year old...

I would find that an interesting story. Guessing he probably wasn't getting the warm fuzzies (or an actual $cholarship offer at the D1 level) and changed gears. Louisville being picked top 10 next year I believe, so should be an exciting ride, and gets to learn from one of the very best in the business. Mack comes off as the anti Mooney.
agreed, 23. plans change based on opportunity. might have decided he'd rather be part of a winning power conference season than play a lot on a low major team.

agreed, 23. plans change based on opportunity. might have decided he'd rather be part of a winning power conference season than play a lot on a low major team.

Yeah & really had to be d2 or d3 to get real playing time anyway. Sounds like Oddo will be a grad assistant in a way but he gets to practice and sit on the bench instead while experiencing a surefire ncaa year and gets to see a different coaching style under Mack. I don't think VT4700 or 05 are going to tell us this time how Louisville's ncaa chances are non existent or less than zero. That school deserves about a decade of futility after employing Pitino & Petrino at same time but u can see good replacement hires can overcome.

Don't know either, but it seems like Mooney had no backup plan for Oddo leaving, since we left his scholarship open...

I still have no idea how that program avoided the death penalty.

Agree. I think they are still looking into things, so they are not safe yet. Funny how a walk-on senior transferring turns into more negative Mooney talk. Just think what the reaction on here would be if Mooney would have accepted a walk-on grad transfer who is not expected to play. Not sure how this has anything to do coaching. Couldn't Oddo have left 4 years ago if he wanted to? Can't we just get through one simple thread without it turning into anti-Mooney?

Agree. I think they are still looking into things, so they are not safe yet. Funny how a walk-on senior transferring turns into more negative Mooney talk. Just think what the reaction on here would be if Mooney would have accepted a walk-on grad transfer who is not expected to play. Not sure how this has anything to do coaching. Couldn't Oddo have left 4 years ago if he wanted to? Can't we just get through one simple thread without it turning into anti-Mooney?

I didn't realize this was an anti-Mooney thread. The only mention of Mooney is that he seems to have had 2 of his players graduate from UR and transfer to Louisville to play their last year of eligibility. Nothing negative about that. I'm as anti-Mooney as anyone, but there's nothing here.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
I think it was a class act by Mooney to give Oddo a scholarship for half a season to reward him for hard work and dedication to the program. I do not believe Mooney ever intended for the scholarship to carry over to the following year and don't consider Oddo a transfer by a scholarship player.

I am also happy for Oddo. He seem like a nice kid and if you have to ride the bench (BTW, you still have to be a pretty good player) with no chance of going pro as a player, it makes sense to transfer to a top 10 team if they will take you. I think he is going to have a long career somewhere in the basketball industry.

While it isn't much I'd agree with VT4700 there are a couple anti-mooney posts. However as we know Jabba the Hardt could have made a 180 narrative switch but didn't. A Fish rots from the head down. It's going to trickle into most everything on here and shouldn't be a surprise.

I think everyone wishes Oddo well. What I wonder is after his own "playing time reason to transfer" changed well presumably he could have been a grad player walk-on back here and still play with his closest friends and try for the elusive Spiders ncaa bid. No doubt the staff would have liked him for leadership etc as walk on. Heck because Mooney is not able or refuses to fill the last ship with a decent player, he had a good chance of staying on scholarship since it would be unused! So free grad year. Yet now paying for grad year at Louisville. I doubt it's much about the actual sport management offering, a master of education that we offer is more useful imo and still helps his goals. We get the other reasons & he also likely heard great things from Khwan, I don't know. Just saying after the playing time thing went away I presume we were still an option.

I think it was a class act by Mooney to give Oddo a scholarship for half a season to reward him for hard work and dedication to the program. I do not believe Mooney ever intended for the scholarship to carry over to the following year and don't consider Oddo a transfer by a scholarship player.

I am also happy for Oddo. He seem like a nice kid and if you have to ride the bench (BTW, you still have to be a pretty good player) with no chance of going pro as a player, it makes sense to transfer to a top 10 team if they will take you. I think he is going to have a long career somewhere in the basketball industry.

Agree, and that is exactly why I think post 18 was such a strange, anti Mooney post.

How is post 18:
A) anti Mooney the man,
and B) wrong?

Do you really think Mooney should be worried about having a backup plan for Oddo leaving, and left his scholarship open because he was giving it to Oddo again this year? Really?

While it isn't much I'd agree with VT4700 there are a couple anti-mooney posts. However as we know Jabba the Hardt could have made a 180 narrative switch but didn't. A Fish rots from the head down. It's going to trickle into most everything on here and shouldn't be a surprise.

I think everyone wishes Oddo well. What I wonder is after his own "playing time reason to transfer" changed well presumably he could have been a grad player walk-on back here and still play with his closest friends and try for the elusive Spiders ncaa bid. No doubt the staff would have liked him for leadership etc as walk on. Heck because Mooney is not able or refuses to fill the last ship with a decent player, he had a good chance of staying on scholarship since it would be unused! So free grad year. Yet now paying for grad year at Louisville. I doubt it's much about the actual sport management offering, a master of education that we offer is more useful imo and still helps his goals. We get the other reasons & he also likely heard great things from Khwan, I don't know. Just saying after the playing time thing went away I presume we were still an option.

We are all guessing right now, but I think he announced he was leaving because he wanted more playing time. Then, maybe realized finding a good fit for playing time was not as easy as he thought, and decided to find the best spot as a walk on, even if it meant pretty much no playing time. I don't think coming back here was ever an option because once you announce you are transferring, how can you really turn around and try to play with the same teammates you just said you were leaving?

We are all guessing right now, but I think he announced he was leaving because he wanted more playing time. Then, maybe realized finding a good fit for playing time was not as easy as he thought, and decided to find the best spot as a walk on, even if it meant pretty much no playing time. I don't think coming back here was ever an option because once you announce you are transferring, how can you really turn around and try to play with the same teammates you just said you were leaving?

Gonzo

I'm told there is a financial arrangement that results in KO paying very little for 2 years of grad school. Wish him well in the future, few times I spoke to him he seemed to be a sharp young man.

I think smart plan by Oddo for resume for future yes?

also I thank everyone for always the new words, like a fish rots from head down and the big hat no cattle , what is one that uses chicken?

I think smart plan by Oddo for resume for future yes?

also I thank everyone for always the new words, like a fish rots from head down and the big hat no cattle , what is one that uses chicken?

You’re welcome Fezz. Hardt is a walking magnet for these words. Big hat no cattle. A Fish rots from the head down. Comes so easily u should really thank Jabba.

Bet you the ranch he’s also a close talker.

I wouldn’t look too far into this one. Oddo wasn’t playing here and wanting to be a coach I can’t blame him for going to power conference with very good NCAA chances.

Better to put on resume NCAA participation in P5 league than middle of pack A10.

Good luck to him.

Good news is this possibly opens scholarship. It’s late but maybe we can find something out there

Follow-up video from Noah; audio is poor at times, it almost sounds like KO has something blocking his mic. Kudos to Noah for getting more details about the decision.

He still hasn't clarified the scholarship offer/non-offer; hopefully he will soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT