ADVERTISEMENT

Oddo to the ville

He still hasn't clarified the scholarship offer/non-offer; hopefully he will soon.

Noah is a hustler, glad he's on the Richmond beat. If up to me should have just asked Oddo if returning to UR was ever under consideration.

Broc what to clarify on ship? he was only on ship for half semester. I have same understanding as 23. If we were giving a 1.5 year ship to Oddo that by itself would be a fireable offense. Granted we haven't filled that last ship even tho we have big need for grad transfer. So when it goes unfilled then I can see it going to a walk on and presumably Oddo would have again been in line for it, but only as a last resort. Maybe I'm out of the loop here.

Not that it matters either way, but the obvious question here is why would he leave a program that he loves and has been part of for four years, a coaching staff that he loves, teammates who he loves, a team that he thinks is going to make the tournament this year – and a team on which he could play some minutes – for a team where he knows no one and will never play? If he really wanted to go to Louisville for the sports management program, couldn't he wait a year to do that? It just seems odd. More power to him, of course – it's his decision. Just strange that the biggest Mooney supporter would jump ship when he thinks things are about to get really good.

another great job by Noah. and good luck to Keith. he sounds excited.
on the Louisville board, they're saying this is a walk-on grad transfer. doesn't cost them a roster spot.

Yep. I meant the guys that have been at their school a few years and are looking to transfer, but I didn't say that so good catch. I would think it would be a little easier as a freshman to tell your teammates "my fault for talking transfer, I want to come back" than as a junior or senior.

GK, I just want to know if he was offered the open scholarship to stay. You're probably right - "no" - but we're all guessing, and it should be easily verifiable for a reporter with the kind of access Noah has, in order to close that loop.

As EL said, it is a bit curious to leave now. "There's nobody that's better for the job [making the NCAA tournament] than Coach Mooney."

He seems genuinely excited to be able to play in the ACC for a season (even if he never sees the floor in an ACC game). Who wouldn't be?
If he wants to coach in the future, it's a great opportunity to sit on the bench and observe a more successful one. The Masters in SPAD is probably unnecessary; he'll learn more from Mack.

Yep. I meant the guys that have been at their school a few years and are looking to transfer, but I didn't say that so good catch. I would think it would be a little easier as a freshman to tell your teammates "my fault for talking transfer, I want to come back" than as a junior or senior.
as a walk-on I don't think it would be an issue at all.

as a walk-on I don't think it would be an issue at all.

Probably right. Every situation is different. But, Keith was so well-liked, and so positive about our program, it seems to me it would be a little strange even as a walk-on to turn around and say you want to come back. But, I hear you. It likely would not have been that big a deal.

Chop, we're on record as still trying to fill the last spot. we may not, but we're trying. so safe to say Keith wasn't offered it.
Keith was granted his extra year in March, and also made his transfer announcement then. That we're trying to fill the spot in June doesn't preclude us from having offered back in March. But yes, it seems unlikely. Either way, it seems to be an easy thing for Noah to report.

on the Louisville board, they're saying this is a walk-on grad transfer. doesn't cost them a roster spot.

Was Top 10 Louisville giving a guy who played 41 minutes in 4 years at Richmond a scholarship even a question? & Oddo said he was a walk on is his own announcement.

Reactions: Eight Legger
GK, I just want to know if he was offered the open scholarship to stay. You're probably right - "no" - but we're all guessing, and it should be easily verifiable for a reporter with the kind of access Noah has, in order to close that loop.

As EL said, it is a bit curious to leave now. "There's nobody that's better for the job [making the NCAA tournament] than Coach Mooney."

I agree Noah could have asked about a return in general to UR. No offense to Oddo but if Mooney actually offered 1.5 years of ship to a guy who played 41 mins in 4 years we're officially off the reservation. And just go back and retroactively fire Mooney.

I feel the ship was a possibility ONLY because we can't fill it, and if I'm Oddo I'm like damn I got like a 80% chance at full year ship b/c I don't see Mooney getting it done with a grad transfer, on top of all the valid reasons EL mentioned.

Anyway it's no big deal about Oddo on a micro level. It's just more precedent for our guys with eligibility grad transferring. ANO, Khwan, Oddo. Trey Davis stayed but that was really b4 grad transferring became so widespread. Next year we have 3 guys in that boat. We're going to go 3/3 in keeping them? Nobody would take that bet straight up. How you prevent it is a winning culture. And 1 other reason why I advocated for big hat no cattle Hardt to make change in March. A change then would have given the best odds to keep everyone 2 years. Because they would have seen up close the benefits to that new culture. Now Mooney just gotta win big. And we should.

NCAA or bust.

I really thought Oddo would end up at Va Tech or Radford, since he is from that part of Virginia. Glad to see him getting his start in coaching. He’s a very nice and intelligent young man. Good luck to him.

Reactions: coach fezz
I really don't care what a 4 year walkon will be doing...
But like EL stated, why would Mooney's biggest supporter leave NOW?

I really don't care what a 4 year walkon will be doing...
But like EL stated, why would Mooney's biggest supporter leave NOW?
for the big time ACC basketball experience. plus he'll make more contacts.
not sure why this is hard to understand.

Reactions: VT4700
I agree Noah could have asked about a return in general to UR. No offense to Oddo but if Mooney actually offered 1.5 years of ship to a guy who played 41 mins in 4 years we're officially off the reservation. And just go back and retroactively fire Mooney.

I feel the ship was a possibility ONLY because we can't fill it, and if I'm Oddo I'm like damn I got like a 80% chance at full year ship b/c I don't see Mooney getting it done with a grad transfer, on top of all the valid reasons EL mentioned.

Anyway it's no big deal about Oddo on a micro level. It's just more precedent for our guys with eligibility grad transferring. ANO, Khwan, Oddo. Trey Davis stayed but that was really b4 grad transferring became so widespread. Next year we have 3 guys in that boat. We're going to go 3/3 in keeping them? Nobody would take that bet straight up. How you prevent it is a winning culture. And 1 other reason why I advocated for big hat no cattle Hardt to make change in March. A change then would have given the best odds to keep everyone 2 years. Because they would have seen up close the benefits to that new culture. Now Mooney just gotta win big. And we should.

NCAA or bust.

I would take that bet. I would already be up a bet because a lot of people on here didn't think we would have all three this year.

I would take that bet. I would already be up a bet because a lot of people on here didn't think we would have all three this year.
I don’t recall many people thinking we would lose players this year, I think the concern is more about next year when there will be some grad transfer eligibles.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
I don’t recall many people thinking we would lose players this year, I think the concern is more about next year when there will be some grad transfer eligibles.

There was a whole thread about it. It got so bad I think the moderators took it down if I remember correctly.

Your optimism is unprecedented. Of course, you did not say at what odds you would make such a bet, nor the amount. Perhaps you are thinking of the Duke brothers bet in Trading Places.

There was a whole thread about it. It got so bad I think the moderators took it down if I remember correctly.
Maybe, I don’t recall that being the sentiment but my memory isn’t razor sharp with all the bong resin clogging it up.

Reactions: SpiderRick
for the big time ACC basketball experience. plus he'll make more contacts.
not sure why this is hard to understand.

Well, given the fact that he was one of the team members who tried to shame some of this program's most loyal fans, I think my question is valid. But I do have to agree that sitting on the bench at Louisville is probably light years better than sitting on the bench on Mooney's team.

Ok sure what do u want to bet?

Those 3 realistically couldn't transfer btw. All took redshirt years so they'd lose year of eligibility if they transferred. Would have made no sense when they had the grad year option coming up 1 year later. I've long said that was another reason for Jabba the Hardt to replace Mooney, those 3 couldn't go anywhere and they get a year to see what new coach is all about. I won't speak for rest of board but u would be up zilch with me. However I did propose a bet to you once - remember when you went on & on about how last years schedule was so similar to a one about 3-4 years ago? You declined the bet saying something about this is just a simple message board it's too hard to bet. You can look it up if needed but I know it was a lot of typical whining. But hey good thing you didn't bet it u would have lost miserably with that joke of a schedule we put out last year.

Anyway since you have completely changed your philosophy on message board betting I'm up for it.

I would take that bet.

giphy.gif

I think it was a class act by Mooney to give Oddo a scholarship for half a season to reward him for hard work and dedication to the program. I do not believe Mooney ever intended for the scholarship to carry over to the following year and don't consider Oddo a transfer by a scholarship player.

I am also happy for Oddo. He seem like a nice kid and if you have to ride the bench (BTW, you still have to be a pretty good player) with no chance of going pro as a player, it makes sense to transfer to a top 10 team if they will take you. I think he is going to have a long career somewhere in the basketball industry.
It's a tremendous move for him. He's a a hard worker and great kid. He gave one of his jerseys to a neighborhood kid who reached out to him. I wish him success and good wishes. Go Oddo!

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
Ok sure what do u want to bet?

Those 3 realistically couldn't transfer btw. All took redshirt years so they'd lose year of eligibility if they transferred. Would have made no sense when they had the grad year option coming up 1 year later. I've long said that was another reason for Jabba the Hardt to replace Mooney, those 3 couldn't go anywhere and they get a year to see what new coach is all about. I won't speak for rest of board but u would be up zilch with me. However I did propose a bet to you once - remember when you went on & on about how last years schedule was so similar to a one about 3-4 years ago? You declined the bet saying something about this is just a simple message board it's too hard to bet. You can look it up if needed but I know it was a lot of typical whining. But hey good thing you didn't bet it u would have lost miserably with that joke of a schedule we put out last year.

Anyway since you have completely changed your philosophy on message board betting I'm up for it.

I don't even know what the bet is. I thought you were saying Grant, Nick, and Jacob would not all be here next year (since there was a whole since deleted thread about that for this year). But, then you say that those 3 couldn't realistically transfer, so, sorry, but I have no idea what you are even talking about here.

Anyway it's no big deal about Oddo on a micro level. It's just more precedent for our guys with eligibility grad transferring. ANO, Khwan, Oddo. Trey Davis stayed but that was really b4 grad transferring became so widespread. Next year we have 3 guys in that boat. We're going to go 3/3 in keeping them? Nobody would take that bet straight up.

In a day when grad transferring numbers are out of control, you use 2 examples of guys who played the past 5 seasons as a way of saying we have a grad transfer issue? Seems like this would mean we are one of the few schools that doesn't.

In a day when grad transferring numbers are out of control, you use 2 examples of guys who played the past 5 seasons as a way of saying we have a grad transfer issue? Seems like this would mean we are one of the few schools that doesn't.
What he seems to be saying is, starting with the 2013-2014 season how many players have we had get their degree and still have eligibility left? How many played at Richmond after getting their degree? And how many will have that choice to make before the 2020-2021 season?

Reactions: GKiller
how many do anywhere? honest question as I have no idea. seems there are a ton of grad transfers every year though. I wouldn't think that many guys graduate and still have eligibility.

how many do anywhere? honest question as I have no idea. seems there are a ton of grad transfers every year though. I wouldn't think that many guys graduate and still have eligibility.
True but if we have 3 in that situation in one year, Golden, Sherod & Blake, we need to plan on how to handle it.

not sure there's a plan other than to deal with it if it happens. Grant transferring would leave a gaping hole, unless we land a true big this fall like Matt Zona or Burke Smith.

so that would be my preemptive plan ... sign one of those two guys. because while losing Nick or Jacob would hurt, we have contingencies at those spots.

Reactions: bb3831

Grad transfer is a loss leader for us that's a fact. Take out Oddo & we still lost ANO and Khwan. We gained Yates who wasn't close to their level, along with Kwesi and JMA who were closer to YMCA level. Next year will be a big barometer. Better win big this year or the odds for keeping our next 3 grads decrease.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I don't even know what the bet is. I thought you were saying Grant, Nick, and Jacob would not all be here next year (since there was a whole since deleted thread about that for this year). But, then you say that those 3 couldn't realistically transfer, so, sorry, but I have no idea what you are even talking about here.

You can't figure out the bet? You should go work in our athletic department. Heck you sound like big hat no cattle Hardt other day on radio.

Yes the bet was about Grant Nick and Blake (not Jacob who I hope can't graduate after 3 years) after next season when they have ability to grad transfer. In spring of 2020. I asked who would take that bet straight up that we'd go 3 for 3 in keeping them. You said you'd bet with me. That seemed as straightforward as possible at the time.

I also said those 3 could not realistically transfer after this past season in spring 2019 (which is why good timing & another good reason on top of others to make a coaching change then).

I'll let you name the stakes.

Last edited:
You can't figure out the bet? You should go work in our athletic department. Heck you sound like big hat no cattle Hardt other day on radio.

Yes the bet was about Grant Nick and Blake (not Jacob who I hope can't graduate after 3 years) after next season when they have ability to grad transfer. In spring of 2020. I asked who would take that bet straight up that we'd go 3 for 3 in keeping them. You said you'd bet with me. That seemed as straightforward as possible at the time.

I also said those 3 could not realistically transfer after this past season in spring 2019 (which is why good timing & another good reason on top of others to make a coaching change then).

Agree, this guy 4700 must work closely with Hardt or the hoops program, the way he twists things and dodges the truth of underacheivement.

Reactions: wr70beh

I fully expect all 4 guys you mentioned to be here next year. Am I betting with you, especially after the way you have been posting with so much anger? No chance. Posting with someone like you on a message board is one thing, but actually meeting them to collect a bet? No thanks. Just look at some of your posts. Geez, man. Chill a little.

Your optimism is unprecedented. Of course, you did not say at what odds you would make such a bet, nor the amount. Perhaps you are thinking of the Duke brothers bet in Trading Places.

My guess is I am far from alone, and a lot of people agree with me that not only Blake, Nick, and Grant, but all 5 starters will all return and be here next year as well. Yes, I would take that bet and even give odds to people I know, but, sorry, I just don't think betting with people you don't know on a message board is the smartest thing to do out there, especially as angry as people get on here.

I'll bet with you guys, I think we have pretty tame posters and good UR alumni on here. In fact I know a good number's identities offline. I only feel we get one or two every so often that have AD connected agendas, most are just fans that are expressing opinions, joy, frustration (mostly lately) with the program.

I fully expect all 4 guys you mentioned to be here next year. Am I betting with you, especially after the way you have been posting with so much anger? No chance. Posting with someone like you on a message board is one thing, but actually meeting them to collect a bet? No thanks. Just look at some of your posts. Geez, man. Chill a little.

LOL. Typical walk back like our AD.

About a week ago you say “I would take that bet” and a week later I’m too angry? Sure. I’ve been posting the same way for a while well before you claimed u wanted to bet it.

I’m frustrated for sure but i’d put my loyalty and support for UR hoops up against a Rent a Fan like u any day of the week. If you’d been here for more than a cup of coffee u would know I’ve posted positively a lot in past.

Also this is 2019. You don’t have to meet on the street corner to pay off a bet. 05 and urfan1 both know who I am. We can send them $ to hold and then they can pay off electronically later. I’d guess they’d be nice enough to facilitate. We can also do a board bet something like choosing the others avatar or putting something in signature for period of time. Been done before.

I’d like a real man $ wager myself. But it’s clear u were full of it. That reply of yours was an all timer.

LOL. Typical walk back like our AD.

About a week ago you say “I would take that bet” and a week later I’m too angry? Sure. I’ve been posting the same way for a while well before you claimed u wanted to bet it.

I’m frustrated for sure but i’d put my loyalty and support for UR hoops up against a Rent a Fan like u any day of the week. If you’d been here for more than a cup of coffee u would know I’ve posted positively a lot in past.

Also this is 2019. You don’t have to meet on the street corner to pay off a bet. 05 and urfan1 both know who I am. We can send them $ to hold and then they can pay off electronically later. I’d guess they’d be nice enough to facilitate. We can also do a board bet something like choosing the others avatar or putting something in signature for period of time. Been done before.

I’d like a real man $ wager myself. But it’s clear u were full of it. That reply of yours was an all timer.

You are unreal. Why are you like this? Why get so angry? Sure, let's do a board bet. How about whoever is wrong starts a thread and titles it "I was wrong and (the correct person) was right." Look at my posts on this thread and yours. If you think I am problem here, you are even more out there than I thought.

And, I am "full of it"? Full of what exactly. An opinion that says this year's starters will be back next year? Or, was it the opinion that felt the since deleted "If Mooney stays, Grant and Jacob transfer" thread was not accurate? Wow, good one. That sure does make me "full of it", doesn't it?

You are unreal. Why are you like this? Why get so angry? Sure, let's do a board bet. How about whoever is wrong starts a thread and titles it "I was wrong and (the correct person) was right." Look at my posts on this thread and yours. If you think I am problem here, you are even more out there than I thought.

And, I am "full of it"? Full of what exactly. An opinion that says this year's starters will be back next year? Or, was it the opinion that felt the since deleted "If Mooney stays, Grant and Jacob transfer" thread was not accurate? Wow, good one. That sure does make me "full of it", doesn't it?

You’re getting angry.

Full of it - in regards to bet. U r welcome to your opinion as am I thus the whole reason for bet. But it’s become clear u weren’t serious. Silly me for thinking so after u said you’d take the bet. I gave some reasonable options.

Meeting on a street corner? Come on that says it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT