ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

hadn't looked at Torvik in a while. top 10 projected contributors seems pretty reasonable now, though light to me on B Artis, Glou ... and I think Tanner will be in the top 10.

but the total is over 71 ppg, so that's very reasonable. if you had to take some points away to give to others, who would it be?
I think 14.1 ppg is agressive for Hunt. and 9.8 ppg would be a heck of a year for Roche.
I believe AP will be in double figures scoring.

• Wow
Reactions: spiderman
hadn't looked at Torvik in a while. top 10 projected contributors seems pretty reasonable now, though light to me on B Artis, Glou ... and I think Tanner will be in the top 10.

but the total is over 71 ppg, so that's very reasonable. if you had to take some points away to give to others, who would it be?
I think 14.1 ppg is agressive for Hunt. and 9.8 ppg would be a heck of a year for Roche.
if we can rely on Roche to knock down three 3's a game that would be big time for us.

That works out to:
Abbreviation/minutes/points

DN/28/12.5
DH/32.8/14.1
JROC/26/9.8
JB/30.8/11,3
BMC/6/2.2
MT/27.2/8
MW/21.6/6.1
GW3/28/3.1
BAW/13.6/3.5
AR(AP)/2.8/.7

CT
, RS, JROB 0/0

I am not confident in any of the bolded minutes…

Last edited:
I could actually see B Artis leading us in scoring ... if he gets the minutes.
he has the potential to be the most "alpha" of our scorers in the mold of our previous smaller leading scorers.

problem is it's really crowded at guard.

he has the potential to be the most "alpha" of our scorers in the mold of our previous smaller leading scorers.

I agree, but I have sorted by Torvik points per minute…

He also has us going 11-13 by the A10 tourney but that is another thread…

You're really high on him it seems from this and other posts. I'm more hesitant. Looked at his stats last year, very weird but in no way give me a thought that he's a consistent guy we should look to night in and out, or could put up regular numbers the way a leading scorer does.

The good:
Four 20 point games last year (2 of which were OT and one vs a non-D1 team)
Fourteen games in double figures

The not so good:
Three games of zero points
Three games where he fouled out
After scoring 20 points in the opener, in the next eight games, he scored 34 points total.
In those eight games, he shot 5-34 from three.

The good (again)
In the next 5 games after those 8 terrible games, he scored 94 points

The not so good (again)
In the two games after those five good games, he scored 3 points total

Appears to have missed a month last year mid January to mid-Feb (injured?) Also appears to have missed the previous season altogether.

The good (yet again)
After returning from (presumed injury) he scored in double digits 7 of 8 games to end the year.

I'd say he gets a classic Moon hot/cold treatment.

I think Hunt will lead us in scoring, but White was 48-106 (45.3%) from 3 in his last 17 games last year, scoring in double figures in 13 of those 17 games, and 7 of his last 8. I can see why Sman is high on him.

Most players will have a few down games. It happens. Looking at Jacob's game log, you could say the same type of up and down stuff for him that you said about White.

Last edited:
I think Hunt will lead us in scoring, but White was 48-106 (45.3%) from 3 in his last 17 games last year, scoring in double figures in 13 of those 17 games, and 7 of his last 8. I can see why Sman is high on him.
yeah, he finished the season really strong. I just could see him building on that. but will depend on oppportunity which he has to earn.
I really like the way he's looked shooting the ball in the little clips we've seen.

Reactions: urfan1
Agree on Roche. Would love to see a fully healthy Roche out their knocking down a few threes per game, but I think with his injury history it will be a struggle to stay on floor and be effective in other areas, like defense.
I would go further and say we don't want Roche to be averaging 10 points per game. We know his game and his skill set. If he is playing enough to average 10 per game, that means he is playing starter minutes and also that lot of our other talent we brought in isn't what we thought it was going to be.

Mooney seems to see Roche as a 3 more than a 2 ... or at least he's said so before.
so Roche is probably competing with Tanner and Glou to start.
I think the starter at the 3 does score close to 10 ppg.
gotta think Roche has a pretty good shot at winning that battle.

Mooney seems to see Roche as a 3 more than a 2 ... or at least he's said so before.
so Roche is probably competing with Tanner and Glou to start.
I think the starter at the 3 does score close to 10 ppg.
gotta think Roche has a pretty good shot at winning that battle.
Well, especially in this portal era, I am usually leaning towards the guy with college production. But, again, I think our highest ceiling team is one in which Glou is that guy. I am still hopeful that is the case and he can be a big producer on the wing. If fully healthy I do see a "microwave" type role for Roche, but agree with 97 that we really need new guys (McGlothin/Glou/Robinson) (or Tanner) to be that guy. Roche is a solid player - and I know sman does not agree with this part - but has shown to be a bit of a liability on D.

GW3 is not a big guard. he's 6'2" in sneakers.
Big for us I guess. And athletic based on his tape. No idea if he will be a legit guy for us, but if he is truly a top 100 out of HS type guy, with that athleticism from the tape - and the other three guards are all good - I could see Mooney playing him with them. Mooney has been on record of wanting to run a Villanova (under Jay Wright) system. Which usually is three guards.

I’m still very high on Tyne. I know this comment is incongruous with my post about B. Artis streaky shooting, but Tyne -at the A10 level - did everything but knock down the shots as a true freshman. Hoping that is the improvement we see this season. If so, I see him at 10 ppg or above. If not, then wide open for whoever is a shooter.

Agree about Tyne. He came in as true frosh (one that re-classed, or maybe he had already re-classed and then un-classed), but either way was a freshman that showed some very good things, fearless, and can use his quickness to cause a lot of problems. I am optimistic he can take that next step and knock down 3's - but yes that is on him to prove and take next step. I like our guard room. I think Hunt if fairly proven (still TBD if can be that alpha scorer) and between the other 3 I think really good chance two more step forward to be consistent scorers and players.

I know a few of u didn’t like or agree with me early this summer when I called vcu a10 favorite with best backcourt, but my takeaway here is the dreaded expectations. Again vcu likes them. Asks for them. Mentality.

Their AD’s past “Henrico” comments r goofy, but check out…

“I typically don’t love to say that we have a very talented team, not to put expectations too high on the kids. But this is also a group that wants high expectations. They’re mature, they’re connected, and they really like each other," said VCU director of athletics Ed McLaughlin.

“I think we have the best combination of four guards in the entire country. I would challenge anyone to find any team that’s got four guards that are better than the four that we have.“

Yep seems to work for SDSU every year too. I linked an interview with Dutcher last preseason at MW media day. He was all in talking about expectations and being better, etc. I understand why Mooney does not talk the talk ( no pressure from admin or fans, looks good when we fuinally do make NCAAs etc), but it gets old. VCU has that spirit and expectation and it seems to work out way more often.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I seem to remember Mooney saying Jacob and Grant's class was the best senior class Richmond has ever had, and people on here jumped all over him for saying that. Then, we went 24-7 with that class and people on here still got on him about that comment. So, my reply to all of this is a simple "whatever".

Agree that vcu has high expectations. But the idea that those four are the best four guards on any one team in the country is just a clown statement from a clown. Reynolds and Brown at St. Joe's are better by themselves. Bamisile is way too undisciplined to be considered some elite guard, and Russell is a guy they didn't even want until the kid from Norfolk State decided he didn't want to be a lamb.

Reactions: gospidersgo
LOL. Right on cue. 2020: Jacob was a junior. Blake was a junior. Nick was a junior after redshirting. Nate was a junior. Grant was a junior after redshirting. No one in this class had been here 5 or 6 years when we went 24-7 in 2020. It's funny how many of our so called fans on here like to talk negatively about the successes we have had.

Reactions: gcarter52
LOL. Right on cue. 2020: Jacob was a junior. Blake was a junior. Nick was a junior after redshirting. Nate was a junior. Grant was a junior after redshirting. No one in this class had been here 5 or 6 years when we went 24-7 in 2020. It's funny how many of our so called fans on here like to talk negatively about the successes we have had.
Spot on!!

Best senior class ever is very achievable if they all have 5 or 6 years.
so tired of the 6 year talk. everyone in the country got 5. do you really feel Grant had some advantage by playing 68 minutes freshman year before collapsing on the court, not able to do anything again for months?

Reactions: VT4700
I know a few of u didn’t like or agree with me early this summer when I called vcu a10 favorite with best backcourt, but my takeaway here is the dreaded expectations. Again vcu likes them. Asks for them. Mentality.

Their AD’s past “Henrico” comments r goofy, but check out…

“I typically don’t love to say that we have a very talented team, not to put expectations too high on the kids. But this is also a group that wants high expectations. They’re mature, they’re connected, and they really like each other," said VCU director of athletics Ed McLaughlin.

“I think we have the best combination of four guards in the entire country. I would challenge anyone to find any team that’s got four guards that are better than the four that we have.“

Eddie is a douche. He is the guy at the cocktail party, you start talking to and then realize this guy only talks about himself all of the time.

That said, what I like about VCU is they are always setting very high expectations and creating positive media narrative for their program.

Contrast that to Hardt, who rarely does media, and when he does he always is making some kind of excuse as to why we can't. Most recently, it was complaining about our OOC schedule is going to be terrible because a couple schools back out of handshake agreements. Hardt is the excuse maker, the debbie downer at the cocktail party.

Don't know who this guy is, but he is not high on our freshman. He has Neskovic ranked number 3 transfer in A10, with B. Artis in honorable mention list. I think this makes sense based on their collegiate production, with GW3 and Glou not having many minutes at college level so far.

Our transfer situation and who will and won't play and how much they can contribute is really very interesting Two distinct groups of transfers. Three guys (Beagle, White, Nescovic) who were solid (but not spectacular) at lower levels and two guys who basically have no track record but come from blue blood programs. I really have no idea what to expect from any of them.

Can the three upward guys even be the same guys they were at last stops (much less pull a King and actually improve?) Can either of the downward two be an impact player at this level after doing zero at the last? No idea on any of it to be honest! And I'd say almost anyone on here who has an opinion - it isn't going to be the most well informed opinion because its really all guess work! Lots of hoping!

Beagle to me is probably the easiest to see his game translate. Assume he will rebound, shoot a good percentage and score a bit. Not sure at all about his defense or passing. But he's the easiest to me to see him being at least decent. But not even with that is it clear to me how much he contributes because I don't know that I see him being better than Walz. This is the one where I'd venture an educated guess that these two come pretty close to splitting time.

Nescovic probably has the best track record, but even that is hard to say. Predominately a shooter and that can sometimes not translate up against bigger and more athletic competition. I'd feel better about him if I knew he could just be a complementary scorer and play off a primary scorer. But I am still squinting trying to see a primary scorer for us! But if I am guessing (and to be clear we are all guessing) he's the one I'd slot for 30+ minutes.

White is the hardest of the experienced three to see how it will go. His best year was back in 20-21. He's had 5 seasons of college ball and they seem sorta all the same. No big step up, but seemingly solid. Just don't know how that translates when now he is in a new system for 1st time in 6 years and playing against better competition. He's the toughest for to see being a big contributor. The guard room is crowded. Hunt is clearly going to get good minutes. I also love Tyne. Think he has a chance to join the UR small PG legacy. He can (really!!) defend, he's tough, can handle etc. If he can step up his shooting and add a little bit of finishing, he can be really good and I think he can and will take a big step this year. If he does, White's opportunity will be limited.

And the downward two i have literally no idea. But I think we need to really hit on one! Walz and beagle should be OK in the middle. Neskovic will (hopefully) hold down a forward slot and there are options in the backcourt such that we should be ok - albeit lacking a King kinda guy). But we need a wing and we need a dynamic player of some sort. Tyne has a chance to be dynamic but might still be a year away from that and not sure anyone else of those mentioned is going to ever be dynamic. One of these guys two transfer down guys needs to be good for us IMHO. No idea which, but ideally its Roumoglu because of his size.

Mostly about the uncertainty surrounding the new transfers and I think we will live and die with how they do, but a big step from Tanner would go along way too. I am not mentioning Roache here because I just don't see him as part of a successful season. He is so limited (even when healthy) that I think its a bad sign if he is getting many minutes!

Also not sure what kind of identity we can create with this group. We were good last year because we were surprisingly really good on defense. We won with our defense. Quinn was a really good post defender, king was solid and Hunt, DJI and Harris were all excellent and Bigs was solid too. Not sure we can muster of that level of defense from amongst this group. This group I think is going to need to "old school" UR and be really efficient and smart on offense and probably need to have everyone be a threat and hope we can find a defense we can get by with. I am not so sure it will be the same version of man-to-man we saw last year - might need to a little more pack line style man and try to outsmart and outlast guys on our defensive end.

Biggest thing to me is what has already been mentioned a lot on the boards - - we don't appear to have a real dynamic player (an alpha in some other posts) and its going to be really hard to win a bunch without one emerging! Pretty sure its not any of the transfer up three. But, could be (and hoping it is) one of the transfer down guys and think it might be Tyne by seasons end if he doesn't end up being beaten down too much by having to be it too early!

I'm hoping that we have like 5-6 guys who can come on the court and be a threat to hit 3+ from deep in any stretch of play, thus opening up the floor considerably for the way we like to run the offense.

As for defense, Tyne and Hunt are pretty well known up top and stopping ball penetration is always facet #1 for avoiding the scrambling and resulting flying dutchmen when things are falling apart. Having multiple bigs inside helps for foul issues (thinking of our last Auburn game in Brooklyn...) As always, hopeful (but unsure) that we will rebound with Beagle, Walz, Nescovic, Glu all having size and Tyne and Hunt unafraid to mix it up.

Ready to talk this after months of schedule.

We saw last year that transfers can come in and immediately perform at an all A10 level. Will be interesting to see if Mooney can keep that up, his system had a reputation on this board for taking years to learn in the past.

I think Philly hit on the big area of concern, the identity and defense. That carried us last year. I do think Hunt and Tyne are + defenders and that is a very good start at the top of defense. But last season with Dji, Bigs and Harris we had three tough strong and quick defenders that would also rebound. Of all the newcomers I think Jaylen Robinson might have the most potential in theses areas.

I agree with Philly. Beagle right now is easiest to see game translating. Tho I think he was better than solid. AEC rookie of the year is no joke. The issue is it doesn't look like he'll get the same MPG at Richmond with Walz there. he was getting 30+ at Albany. I feel good about that duo at the 5. Arguably our strongest position. Walz is an Ox and I like his developing game. If they are that, probably best if we could get them some time together on court. tbd if feasible. not sure if either can play the 4. We've had a non shooter in Cayo before tho. Cayo was a better ball handler. I'd like if 1 of them can show the forward skills because I feel like split time at 5 we might not be getting all they bring. Possible 1 owns that spot and takes more time too.

neither has what looks like perimeter offensive or defensive skills to play forward, imo.
I didn't like Grace at the 4 but at least he was a shooter.

neither has what looks like perimeter offensive or defensive skills to play forward, imo.
I didn't like Grace at the 4 but at least he was a shooter.

I agree that's my guess too. but I'd like to see Beagle play to be sure. if they r two of our better players ideally u don't want 1 sitting all the time. But I definitely get the square peg round hole thing. they'd have to prove it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT