ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Air Force guy. Good read on his philosophies here. Sounds like he has been a run-first type with his "Orbit Series." Not sure how, or if, that will figure in here.

Lobotzke

Can he lend any offensive strategies for our basketball program?That would be a tremendous help prior to commencement of Spring football.

When Wake Forest had a good QB and receivers combo, Steed was good and WF was in top of league with offensive stats. Steed was there when WF knocked off Clemson, Va Tech and FL State at home. I think he went to WSSU cause at the time wanted to stay in town with young kids, and WSSU was desperate for OC when Maynor left for Hampton. It was noted by WSSU coach that he probably would not hold onto Steed very long.

I think if you give him some good skill players, he will perform. Even when WF had Tanner a very young QB, Steed kept them competitive but they just did not have a defense that could stop anyone. I personally am excited about this hire and think our offense will be wide open with hopefully a more successful running attack.

Welcome Coach L!

This post was edited on 1/2 2:44 PM by CarolinaSpider

One other take on Steed Lobotzke is that he will show emotion down on the field with his players as I remember him calling plays from the field. Secondly, rarely has WF been a run first team over the years, but Lobotzke did mix it up very well. When he had Rilley Skinner as QB, he had good receivers and RBs and came at you from a lot of different schemes.

With Lauletta, and a good RB and WRs returning he is in a similar position. WF use to utilize their TEs a lot also besides just blocking. WSSU had two QBs and mixed their play calling up pretty good, but ran more cause they had such a big OLine.
I don't think his system will be tremendously different though he also used wide splits with the OLlne.

Good hire with mix of good experience and creativity.

I hope he comes up with the offense that smashes the Barneys, dominates the Indians, and captures conference and national championships!

Steed was at Wake with Grobe where we got to know him pretty well. Was not always the OC. Run first guy. Not the most original. Wake connection is how Rocco would know him. Trying to jump start his career again. Groberobably put a word in for him. Nice guy, should fit in well. Opposite in style from Streeter.

One Putt during time Riley Skinner was QB Wake had a good mix of passing and running. I agree not as wide open as Streeter with QB under center more, but that Wake team put up a lot of yardage. Frankly I would love to see a lot more balance in our offense, but big question will be ability of our OLine to block.

This post was edited on 1/3 12:05 PM by CarolinaSpider

guys, won't DR tell him what he wants and then he will implement that? am sure the head coach knows what type of O he would like to run and it is up to this guy to find a way to do it. right? wrong? somewhere in the middle?

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
guys, won't DR tell him what he wants and then he will implement that? am sure the head coach knows what type of O he would like to run and it is up to this guy to find a way to do it. right? wrong? somewhere in the middle?
Middle. Streeter had a lot of freedom, but they had also been together a long time.

Carolina, some of that is true but I will be more specific. I played golf with two guys on that staff, one very regularly and still do, most recently 12/23. Once he became OC it was a matter of time before he was released. Wake alumni stayed on him and Gobe for sticking with him. He did better with Skinner at QB. After that it was a struggle. In his defense he did not have much to work with after Skinner. He may do wonderful and he does believe in more of a balanced attack. Most of the comments I got from the Wake staff were from the defensive coaches. He will be a good fit at UR and with the current staff. He's as nice a guy as you'll ever meet.

One Putt after Skinner Wake never had a strong QB and seemed to drop a little in quality of recruits. I have heard some friends who had kids at Wakes camps and they thought the world of Steed and how he interacted with the kids. Sounds like a good guy! But do hope he proves a valuable asset to the program.

He is a great guy. He recruits well and kids will like him. Just gotta see how he runs the offense. UR is a good fit for him and he fits Rocco's style.

what you run and how you do offensively, is all about what you have upfront.

Spinner that is it in a nutshell our success on offense will depend on the big guys up front.

Agree with you guys. Bill Dooley, the football coach who turned Carolina into a decent football school in the '70's, always went out and recruited the best offensive linemen first. Then he turned them over to Pat Watson, who was the finest offensive line coach in America, IMHO. They never faltered on offense, because they could always run over people. I can't even estimate the number of All-ACC and consensus All-Americans they had. Hope we can do the same.

not the kind of offense people want to see today though wisconsin and arkansas fans might disagree. having a very good offensive line allows you to run any type of offense not just a run first type and hope we can gel upfront so that we can be successful. at our level and really most levels now, your O has to be able to score at least 30+ points per to win a lot of games. not sure what new hampshire averages per game but imagine over 30 and they are in the playoffs every single year. defense is still darned important but you have to be able to score a lot of points to win in fcs.

Comparing Lobo to Dooley is a stretch. Agree it does all start with the o-line however we had a good o-line this year and our running game could stand improvement.

I'll take a Wisconsin oline and a Melvin Gordon any day.It was a thing of beauty to see firsthand at Outback Bowl.We don't have a Melvin Gordon.Not many teams do.Who needs a passing game when you get 7.5 yds/carry and 251 yds?Gordon backup ran for 110yds vs Auburn.Badger QB was mediocre,at best.He knew how to execute handing off ball to Gordon and his understudy.He threw 3 picks.

This post was edited on 1/5 10:39 PM by 32counter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT