ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney

The only difference is that the 20-loss teams could claim youth and inexperience, even though both were direct results of Mooney screwing things up. But this team is the most experienced in NCAA history. That excuse won't fly.
At this point I don't think excuses nor logic matter. The decision maker(s) are gonna do what THEY want...period. Betting line is coach for life.

Reactions: whampas
I know some of you don't want to jinx yourselves, but at the current rate there's no chance Mooney gets extended. it's a weak A10 so there's a chance we get on a hot streak. but if we go say 9-9 in conference with 23 year olds, there's no chance he's extended.
You'd like to think so, but have you met John Hardt?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
You'd like to think so, but have you met John Hardt?
nope. but I do think this year will be the final straw unless we suddenly go on a roll.
nothing crazy has happened with injuries or Covid. it's tough to defend the status quo again if a team with 4 super senior 1,000 point scorers doesn't play in the postseason.

nope. but I do think this year will be the final straw unless we suddenly go on a roll.
nothing crazy has happened with injuries or Covid. it's tough to defend the status quo again if a team with 4 super senior 1,000 point scorers doesn't play in the postseason.
I thought the final straw would have been any of the past 7 years or so (save 2019). I don't think their is a final straw. I think they just don't give a damn frankly. I hope you are right, obviously though.

Keep calm and carry on!

The Robins Center in January, more life altering than a week long South American vacation.
No you’re judged by wins and loses….that’s why they keep score. Not to long ago I’d be wearing some Spider apparel traveling, airport etc. and people would recognize it as the original Cinderella team ,over achievers, upset kings…….no more. No 20 something has any clue who the Spiders are

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
I,
I agree 100%. Whenever I travel I wear Spider something and I have UR luggage and carry on.. My kids joke with me about trolling for spiders. Shows my love of my school, an unrequited love. Last five years, I’ve had no bites. Have flown/and traveled to CA, Co three times with a side trip to AZ and NM and this year three times to Texas (not my choice but got to see active duty son). Not one comment. Before with a success in fb and bb always at least a bite. It’s just the cold hard truth showing the failure of our gimme, gimme gimme, deaf to alums, athletic department. A gimme with no return.

Also NYC, Brandywine Valley, OBX and The Holy City. Ha, did run into some fellow Spiders in Blacksburg this Fall game weekend, The conversations were refreshing in our commiserations.

You are never going to get your heads MBB coach on an expiring contact. Never. Any coach and his agent is going to rightly bring up that their recruiting is hamstrung if they can't tell players they are under contract for their 4 years.

So, 2 years is as low as it is going to go. This is as good as it gets for us. Trap is right, if we don't can him at the end of the season, we are going to have to extend him. It would be the ultimate capitulation by Hardt after saying when he extended him last time that the program was not at the level he nor Mooney expected it to be at and then 2 years of failure later, he is gonna extend him again. Damn, his credibility would be shot.

But, but 97, I have been told numerous times that we do not fire coaches. So this seems to be the ultimate catch 22 - WE HAVE to extend him, but we cannot fire him????

I don't see anyway out, someone please provide help.

I guess it was a different era when we just let Dooley's contract expire. But I agree, two years left is the best it will get for us in terms of pulling the plug. Especially with what should be a very friendly buyout since Hardt held all the cards.

I,
I agree 100%. Whenever I travel I wear Spider something and I have UR luggage and carry on.. My kids joke with me about trolling for spiders. Shows my love of my school, an unrequited love. Last five years, I’ve had no bites. Have flown/and traveled to CA, Co three times with a side trip to AZ and NM and this year three times to Texas (not my choice but got to see active duty son). Not one comment. Before with a success in fb and bb always at least a bite. It’s just the cold hard truth showing the failure of our gimme, gimme gimme, deaf to alums, athletic department. A gimme with no return.
Just go to New England bro, they love us up there.
Of course, they don't even know we have a football or basketball team. Their kids like to go to Richmond because it is diverse and cheap!

Yeah, cheap compared to most of their schools. Besides, they're rich kids...

LOL, we're within a rounding error of all of the elite schools up there...everybody is in the $70–80,000 range depending on what exactly is included in their figure.

We're only $2,000 less than Harvard overall, but that's because their housing prices are high. Our tuition is $7,000 higher than theirs.

Worse, he has become the brand.
At this point anyone who advocates for him to remain the head coach is a Chris Mooney fan not a Richmond Fan. No NCAA tournament appearances in a decade, only 2 appearances in 16-17 years, no regular season A-10 titles, routine early exits from the A-10 tournament. I've given up a long time ago believing that our Athletic Department and some of our more prominent fans/boosters really care about being the best program we can be or about winning championships. I see much more effort put into making excuses for Mooney's performance and silencing any criticism than I see a true vision for the future.

At this point anyone who advocates for him to remain the head coach is a Chris Mooney fan not a Richmond Fan. No NCAA tournament appearances in a decade, only 2 appearances in 16-17 years, no regular season A-10 titles, routine early exits from the A-10 tournament. I've given up a long time ago believing that our Athletic Department and some of our more prominent fans/boosters really care about being the best program we can be or about winning championships. I see much more effort put into making excuses for Mooney's performance and silencing any criticism than I see a true vision for the future.
All the reasons you listed are valid. Unfortunately those who who put Mooney in safe territory and put the program on a perpetual path of mediocrity have been overly generous and accepting of levels of performance that strong companies would never accept for such an extended period. But UR operates in a space devoid of realistic matter.

Salute to you, Captain. Expressed my personal beliefs better than I am capable. Post is spot on.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I met Hardt, first week on the job. Chatted a bit and soon realized he was clueless regarding diehard fans. I shook his hand, direct eye contact and said good luck. His facial expression I’ll never forget. He said, why would you say that. You’ll soon find out, and walked away. He doesn’t have a clue, or a plan. Show me!

Hard to know who was worse, Gill who seemingly had more freedom to do what he wanted but what he wanted to do just wasn't good...or Hardt, who seemingly is a Queally puppet/placeholder whose lack of action can't truly be blamed on him but who also may just be completely inept.

I,
You will need to fly to New Jersey or China now.

• Haha
Reactions: GKiller
When you look at who runs the school there are a number of groups that have input with the most influential being the faculty. They are basically a unionized group that can't be fired and the school can not operate without them. I would think they do not put a lot of importance on athletics.

Next you have the administration, which historically has been run by an academic. I have met Kevin Hallock a couple times and think he is a great guy. I do not know him very well, but I would think he wants our teams to do well, but it is not going to have a major impact on admissions and moderate on fund raising.

Next you have the board of trustee, which is made up of a big group of people with the 2 most influential rolling off the board (Paul Q and Susan Quisenberry). Both of them were big sports fans. Not sure who will replace them. The board has a lot of priorities and Sports is probably lower on the list. I suggest you take the time to read the bios of our board members and it will tell you a lot about what they are interest in.

All of this is my opinion and I could be wrong.
I think it is wrong, at least the first point. I get that you don’t like the faculty or unions, but what do they have to do with the fact that we pay over $1 million for a mediocre coach? We pay our basketball coach more than most schools do, and receive little in return. Do you think the faculty is pressuring the school to keep Mooney? It isn’t a lack of spending that’s causing our poor performance in basketball as we have seen with our new practice facility. It’s the failure of our athletic director and board to move on from Mooney.

You are a few steps behind again. We are in a catch 22 here. Mooney needs to he fired, but he cannot be fired because he has two years left. But he cannot have 2 years or less because recruiting. So he needs to be extended. Rinse, repeat.
You missed the secret clause in the fine print. Coach Mooney gets an additional five year extension, every time a fan's head explodes at the mention of his name. He receives a ten year extension if his likeness appears on a billboard.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
I hope I am wrong, but still think it is much more likely he is extended than fired. As we have discussed, winning is not the priority.
Fits right in with the schools new moto. Overpay for mediocrity

Yikes, I found it:

Looks like we are locked in on Mooney ball for two more seasons after this one. Grant and Gilly will be really old by that time.
I can only hope the extension had a reduced buy out. If not, whomever signed this should be fired for incompetence. Where was Mooney’s alternative offer?
Overpay for mediocrity

Where you been bruv?
I needed a break from Spider Sports once the football team imploded its season.
I figured if I waited until 2022, the most experienced team in college basketball history would be nationally ranked and in first place in the A-10 and I could come back to a happy place.

I haven't looked yet - all that has happened, right?

Correct Broccoli. I will fill you in: We are currently ranked 17th in the AP poll, with blow out wins over Drake, Utah State, and a nice rally to beat Maryland. Mooney is getting talk for national coach of year, Dji Bailey is averaging 12 points per game and shooting 37% from 3, stabilizing our guard rotation. We just garnered a commitment from a 6'9" stud, who had offers from Iowa, Purdue, and Clemson. Please let me know any other information you may need to come up to speed on.

Also, please check out cameo.com if you have birthdays, celebrations, bar mitzvah's, etc - or any celebration.

Every day with Mooney is a gift!!

Test Negative.

Fits right in with the schools new moto. Overpay for
I needed a break from Spider Sports once the football team imploded its season.
I figured if I waited until 2022, the most experienced team in college basketball history would be nationally ranked and in first place in the A-10 and I could come back to a happy place.

I haven't looked yet - all that has happened, right?
The guy with the little white Dixie cup is still there, so No, none of that happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT