Mikkel Tyne - Player Eval

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Strengths
Very quick, strong on ball defender.
Hit the ground running and stepped in very well as a true freshman when Hunt went down with injury.
Fearless going to the hoop and beating man off the dribble, and has shown ability to hit layups over taller defenders with a variety of one handed scoop shots.
83% FT shooter
I was very impressed with his ability to come in as a freshman and not just try to "run the offense" but rather look for opportunities to score, or drive the lane and make an opportunity for himself or teammate.
Needs Improvement
3 PT shooting - Shot 27% on the year. He had a few hot games, shot 5-7 from 3 vs Florida.
Overall FG % was 32% - half his shots were 3 pointers pulling this down. I think his shooting in general will improve with another year adjusting to college game. While he does not appear to have Kendall Anthony's shooting touch, I think he can be an upper 30's % from 3. I am very hopeful that all the experience and adjustment to the speed and size of the college game will translate into improved shooting this season.
Passing / Assists - Averaged 2 assists per 40 minutes. Needs to be better at finding open man, that is a low assist number. I do think he can create opportunities with his speed with the ball.
Outlook:
Lot of fun watching Mikkel this season. He came in and beat out Smith from Day 1, he looked like he belonged and had a few really productive games. Also had some struggles scoring and making plays on offense. Mooney brought in plenty of competition at guard this offseason, and seemingly White would impact his minutes the most, and possibly GW3. Big key is taking that next step to consistently make shots. I think he gained a bit of confidence with Mooney early and that will carry over - will have plenty of opportunity. Would love to see the summer and fall practices. As much as I like his potential to score at this level, he already is a good defender and ball handler. Would be beneficial for him to focus a bit more on his playmaking and facilitating as well. Not counting him out at all for starter type minutes, but definitely not a given with the talent in from the portal and Hunt returning.

Great write up. Agree with all of that, 23. He had a lot of open looks from 3 last year, and needs to knock more down. His shot looks good, so it's certainly possible to improve his % pretty good from there. He has a great handle, and I could see his assists per 40 min rising as he gets more and more comfortable with things. He is super quick and plays good defense. Overall, he did solid for a true freshman and should be a key piece of the rotation again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT