ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey

SpiderFan26

Team Manager
Mar 11, 2012
Mickey Matthews is calling our game on Saturday, so he was at practice today. It was nice of him to not sport any purple, but it was a little strange to see him walking around and watching. After seeing what Withers did in his first year, I wish JMU would hire him back.

Withers won't be around long. Maybe one more season. He is going to figure out how hard it is to win in the CAA.

Yes, Mickey still lives just outside of Harrisonburg. I ran into him recently at a local restaurant. I know we have all have made fun of his antics, etc., however one on one he is an extremely personable guy. He always recognizes me and has something to say about me being a Spider.

he passed up some promotions to remain there and something to be said for that. know he loves the area and hope he is enjoying some relaxation and really hope his son is doing well.

Well I know how he responded when Radford the punter snapped his leg in a game against JMU as Mickey showed a lot of concern and made contact to check up on the player. From a competitive standpoint I find it interesting him having to do our game. It is almost like Hubert Davis having to do a Duke game. Will be interesting to hear some of his stories from previous UR/JMU games while he broadcasts. On similar note I totally disliked Al McGuire as a coach but really liked him as a commentator/play by play guy.

KC Keeler between Blue Hen and Sam Houston gigs did a nice job on ESPN3 and Comcast games.He did a few of Spider games and did an objective job.Expect same from Mickey.

I assume Mickey has spent most of the season learning about football so that he would be intelligent enough to broadcast games on TV. Good for him!

laugh.r191677.gif

the mickster must have lucked his way into that national championship, so easy to do.

Mikey is not a bad announcer. He seems more like a good ol boy chatting up football and throwing in some golf references for good measure. A little unpolished but that can be good sometimes.

MM is a good coach and from all I have heard is a genuine good guy. He's a little loud & brash (Texas roots) but he knows what he is doing. If you told me we could get him now I would send in a check to help with Rocco's buyout.

We should have hired Mickey to work in our coaching booth.He saw everything happening perfectly.He was low key and surprisingly pro UR and Danny.

would bet that most of the caa coaches like each other and respect each other, they know how tough it is to do what they do but they love what they do and have a passion for it and for the players.

Hate to disagree but I thought MM was bad. Dull sounding and unprepared. He needs to get back in coaching and not depend on TV work. Just my 2 cents worth

agree that he was not polished but thought he was very insightful, added some humor and was not dull.

I thought Mickey did a good job. He was knowledgeable and fair in his observations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT