ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer and Track and Field cut in Favor of Lacrosse

Wait, Leland Melvin is on the board? I had no idea...when did that happen?

Link provided to joint page from both soccer and track alumni.

There is a lot more to this recent athletics reconfiguration than has been covered in the press so far. Please invest a bit of your time to learn more and to voice your concerns to the administration . . . and more importantly the board of trustees.

http://carrytheflag.weebly.com/

Local CBS TV just reported teh BoT are meeting tomorrow to revisit the Soccer decision, any additional information available?

^^Interesting. Hopefully they come to their senses.

Is video of the CBS piece available?

I didn't see it online, but not familiar with their site. Lane Casadonte as part of 6:00pm sports.

as we all know, it is not just the cost of the soccer and track programs but what will it cost to add the women's sports needed to offset for title IX requirements. of course, we have to be very careful of the % of athletes to general student body or us new and world report might give us a downgrade. i lose sleep every night worrying about THE %, it is such an vital part of being a university of stature to idiotic academic pinheads. can't we be different than the pinhead template and just be the best WE can be?

One interesting thing to note, just to play devil's advocate is why wasn't there $3M pledged to men's soccer before it was formally axed if everyone was that enamored with it? Keep in mind I'm not being critical as I am a big soccer fan...

Because they were told they didnt have to fund raise and that the program was safe. Then low and behold, " a donor" pops off 3 mil for a vistor center and part of the deal is that lacrosse be bumped to varsity status.

I think your timeline is a little off. I had been told almost three years ago that if UR was to elevate Lacrosse, another sport would likely have to go, and it was likely to be Soccer. They made the decision that they wanted to elevate Lacrosse, but realized that it might take years to raise the necessary funds. Instead it took months, so the decision was announced much earlier than expected. I do not like all these unfounded rumors being spread that someone "demanded" soccer, or that a gift for a future building was tied into this decision. Lets stick the facts known, rather than spread nasty rumors..

RCSGA, you say you were told three years ago that to get lax, soccer would most likely go. were the soccer coach and players told that as well? if they were not, then not too good and if they were not, why were you told?

A, i know the prez's handle on here and it is not RC. hope he can answer the question though.

Approximately one month before the decision I asked the specific question of one that should have been in the "know" and was told that the decision was made and "no sports would be dropped".

Nope still in Boston.. I did not know that lax would be elevated, I was just told that if it were to be elevated then it would likely come at the cost of another sport. I guessed that soccer would be most likely to go, and this was basically agreed with. This was just casual discussions with people in the administration, nothing serious.

thanks RC, guess it just seems that they had these soccer guys out raising funds, etc and maybe kept them in the dark that they were in line to be chopped. obviously, did not know if it would happen but seems kind of lousy to have them out all excited about a new facility, etc., all the while knowing that they were going to chop them off at the knees, even if it was going to take a few years which turned into a couple of months. realize these things are not easy but just seems like you keep your coaches informed of what the thinking is so they can act accordingly.

I agree though considering the soccer coach quit before the season, who knows what he actually did know..

What rumors??? Both teams should have been given the same treatment. If Lacrosse some how comes up with a 3 mil then if Soccer and Track do the same, they should get the same treatment. They were blindsided and never given the chane to raise any money. Stick to the facts jack...Keep your head in the sand about the Queally donation as well..

I think they had a really good opportunity to send a positive message about what UR stands for today. I'm disappointed that they didn't take advantage of that opportunity.

I wonder how long it will be before the next request for a donation goes out in the mail.

I heard they stiffed board member Bobby Ukrop and didn't give him the opportunity to even speak...pay backs will be a bitch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT