ADVERTISEMENT

Match Up Zone

URWilk110

Assistant Coach
Oct 29, 2008
Please explain why we went back to this defense that can easily be exposed? St. Joe's exploited it so badly with no adjustment by Mooney.

What are you talking about? We've been running this defense all year, and we are in the top 30 nationally for defensive efficiency.

If you are saying maybe we should have tried to hedge the ball screen high with our big man (like Joes and Mason did to Jordan King), then I agree. But the defense has been the same structure all year long.

Yes, our defense has been very good all year. But the problem with Mooney is he doesnt adjust. A few years ago he went to a traditional man to man. Including in the one year in thr last 13 we made the NCAA tournament. This year we played matchup zone, switching every screen (at least during A10 play when I started watching more regularly). St. Joes took advantage of this today with Reynolds getting him favorable matchups OVER and OVER again and Mooney never adjusted. The failure to stop Reynolds cost us this game and is 100% on Mooney.

I agree with your sentiment that our inability or unwillingness to change how we defended the high ball screen in this game was a deciding factor.

That said, our personnel this year (and probably moving forward) is well suited to switching on perimeter players. Each of King, Hunt, Bailey, Tyne, Harris, Bigelow, and Roche was pretty good at switching and covering wing players, so we did it to great effect this year.

And not for nothing, but the way you defend high ball screens is to bring the big man out to hedge higher and then kind of flatten out the cut with the big man and the guard both semi-doubling the ball-handler until the ball-handler has to pass out of the double team, which often leaves the big man on the guard and someone else on the post player that is setting the screen. So it would have resulted in a more disadvantageous matchup due to switching, which you seem to not want to do.

Reactions: spiderman
you know your stuff, kneepad.

Reynolds hit some very tough shots over Quinn and others on switches. he was too good. at some point I'd have liked the high hedge double to at least get it out of his hands and taken our chances with the big man rolling.

Reactions: urfan1
you know your stuff, kneepad.

Reynolds hit some very tough shots over Quinn and others on switches. he was too good. at some point I'd have liked the high hedge double to at least get it out of his hands and taken our chances with the big man rolling.
Just think how good he would be if he hadn’t been unavailable For the game because of his arm…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT