ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Games Begin- Utah State

Would you guys agree that hedging and playing the pick in roll in general is difficult. To me I think we have to hedge on P&R bc it keeps us from switching which could cause mis matches. It's just a defensive philosophy so if we don't use hedging what should we do? Fight over top of the screens only? I too get a little frustrated at the hedging but for me I think we are hedging to long and not getting back quick enough. At least that is what I see on occasion.

One problem, or at least what I perceive to be a problem, is that not all P&Rs are equal in that you might not need to hedge to prevent the guard using the P&R from pulling up and shooting.

For example, with Fatts Russell, I'd NOT hedge, would go under the screen, and let him shoot jumpers all day long, as opposed to trying to hedge and getting our guard and big in scramble mode.

But we seem to employ just one strategy no matter what, and that is a semi-hedge (Golden and Grace don't actually extend out vertically to make the guard change direction or pass) until our guard can recover, and we hope to rotate to cover the roll. We're often late on the rotation. So I don't love our implementation.

But to answer the original question, it's absolutely difficult, and why I assume it is so prevalent at the highest levels of today's game.

One problem, or at least what I perceive to be a problem, is that not all P&Rs are equal in that you might not need to hedge to prevent the guard using the P&R from pulling up and shooting.

For example, with Fatts Russell, I'd NOT hedge, would go under the screen, and let him shoot jumpers all day long, as opposed to trying to hedge and getting our guard and big in scramble mode.

But we seem to employ just one strategy no matter what, and that is a semi-hedge (Golden and Grace don't actually extend out vertically to make the guard change direction or pass) until our guard can recover, and we hope to rotate to cover the roll. We're often late on the rotation. So I don't love our implementation.

But to answer the original question, it's absolutely difficult, and why I assume it is so prevalent at the highest levels of today's game.
Really fair assessment and great example with Fatts

I think we can hedge at times during games because it gives us a different defensive look and possibly throw a curve that the other team is not expecting. Problem is we hedge a lot, which makes it predictable, and other teams can game plan and take advantage of it, which they are. Utah State did that really well, throwing the ball inside or to the corners, taking advantage of our big man being out of position.

Would you guys agree that hedging and playing the pick in roll in general is difficult. To me I think we have to hedge on P&R bc it keeps us from switching which could cause mis matches. It's just a defensive philosophy so if we don't use hedging what should we do? Fight over top of the screens only? I too get a little frustrated at the hedging but for me I think we are hedging to long and not getting back quick enough. At least that is what I see on occasion.
playing the pick and roll has always been difficult. it's probably the most important thing for any defense to work on. I absolutely believe the best way to defend it is with a hedge. the screener's man can't sit back.

but like you I prefer the screener's man to pop up quick just to slow the ball for a split second and then instantly get back. alternatively you could aggressively double the ball. 3rd option is a switch but that can put you in bad situations athletically. I'd always switch if it's a guard to guard screen or big to big. just can't switch when a post screens a guard. 4th option is to just fight through which is great when you can do it but you're beat when you can't.

like you said ... against Utah State it seemed we would have both guys defend the ball but not aggressively enough to disrupt the pass to the screener. recovery is too slow. and if you count on rotations then you're scrambling and in trouble the entire possession.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
... against Utah State it seemed we would have both guys defend the ball but not aggressively enough to disrupt the pass to the screener. recovery is too slow. and if you count on rotations then you're scrambling and in trouble the entire possession.
I am not an expert on what the various tactics are called related to defending the P&R, but what the Spiders seem to do isn’t really a hedge because there is too much of a delay to truly call it that and it isn’t a strong double team either. It is some sort of ineffective hybrid that gives me the general impression that the big doesn’t know what he is really trying to do. Perhaps there is supposed to be two options and instead of choosing one based on the situation they just do both…lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT