ADVERTISEMENT

Learfield Sports cuts 10 year-$20M deal with Broad St Community College

Last edited:
I'm a biz guy, and I'm with ulla on this...just a general comment that we give too much mindshare to the sheep on here.

JOC is teeing up a puff piece on us now stating we cut a $21,000,000 deal with Learfield.Upsmanship.Love it.
Only kidding.We don't need to be clever.We're rich.

JOC is teeing up a puff piece on us now stating we cut a $21,000,000 deal with Learfield.Upsmanship.Love it.
Only kidding.We don't need to be clever.We're rich.

I hear you but they've essentially done what we did with IMG College. Their GM happens to be their annoying PxP guy. Ours is a UR grad with an advertising background.

Has the Learfield affiliation put Duquesne on some new plane?

What exactly is the big deal? We've had img doing the same thing for us for years. No clue what our $ agreement is

Happy when very smart deals are done even by the dreaded arch enemy or anyone else.Some people on the board get extremely defensive about mentioning this shameful enemy in any sort of positive light.Very mature.If I had a youtube of the deal I would post it.I confess.

Who cares. VCU got an article on Page 7 of the RTD sports section in mid June when nothing else is going on. Complete non-story. Only question I have is how long before Robby Robinson annoys the living crap out of these Learfield guys.

Don't know about that but our deal with IMGCollege comes with an as needed Bombardier 8000.No one can top that not even Big Hair Ed.

Last edited:

Thanks for your experienced insight.Downtown Ed didn't pimp his brand.He put it out for bid.Downtown U is gonna pay each of its student-athletes $4,100 per year
as supplemental stipend monies beginning Fall 2015.Uptown U will pay a stipend to only its basketball team members.We are rich.They are not.Uptown U has wealthy alums even though the Spider Club only raises about $1.25M.
We engaged with IMGCollege since 2007.There are NO guaranteed monies associated with this deal.Has there been any real benefit from this deal?Downtown U gets $2.0M per year GUARANTEED monies for 10 years.Downtown U gets to pay for its stipend monies to all its student athletes.They do not have the luxury of siphoning additional endowment funds or increase student fees to pay its COA.
We have that luxury.We are rich.Downtown U has a recognizable brand.Not so much for Uptown U.Downtown U has done quite well up to now without Learfield or IMGCollege assistance.
This deal was EASY money and came at a time when Big Hair Ed needed a source of guaranteed income to pay for bennies and other goodies in his department.That's why it's a clever deal.No other mid major has this deal.

Maybe TJ's Dad can cut a similar deal with Uptown U in 2 years.

More money for the government employees of RPI to pilfer and misuse. I am always so happy when any government institution gets more money. :(

Spider fans cannot help talking about VCU. As stated earlier, who cares? Why continue? Kill this thread.

They needed to do something after the main benefactor of their practice court filed for bankruptcy after employing a pay-for-play business model that the government didn't view too kindly. Tsk tsk.They thought they had hitched their wagon to a star, and they did...but when they got too close, they realized that star was the sun, and they got burned.

They needed to do something after the main benefactor of their practice court filed for bankruptcy after employing a pay-for-play business model that the government didn't view too kindly. Tsk tsk.They thought they had hitched their wagon to a star, and they did...but when they got too close, they realized that star was the sun, and they got burned.

That deal was 400k/year over 10 years, which is significant - but no where near the "sun" and VCU is no Icarus. Now $2 million a year (which is somewhat comparable to the deal Georgetown signed this week with Fox Sports - $1-3 million/year based on performance) is a tidy sum of money for a basketball only school. I'm glad TJ's dad valued VCU's brand that high.

^^Your reading comprehension issues aren't altogether surprising. I would have hoped 32 was able to notice that Cline works a territory out west.

And if he did have something to do with it, I'm glad Nancy left him. Hopefully she took him to the cleaners too.

Reactions: Ulla1
^^Your reading comprehension issues aren't altogether surprising. I would have hoped 32 was able to notice that Cline works a territory out west.

And if he did have something to do with it, I'm glad Nancy left him. Hopefully she took him to the cleaners too.

I'm sorry all I read was the post, didn't bother to click on all the links in this thread.

Disparaging others seems like your M.O., Mo - Classy you are not.

"TJ Cline's Dad is a Senior Vice President at Learfield Sports. "

No deal at that level of financial commitment or magnitude gets by any SVP at either IMG or Learfield.A Committee likely signed off on that deal.I think Mr Cline takes medium starch in any case.If he was indirectly(not directly)involved in the deal but obviously aware of the deal,I am sure he gave the Marketing personnel housed in the Robins Center a heads up after the deal was signed off by both parties.Hopefully,we answered his phone call.That would seem to be a reasonable and businesslike approach by Learfield.I think our deal with IMGCollege expires in 2 years.As they say in the rough and tumble world of doing deals,biz is biz.

Last edited:
To read the man's profile that you posted yourself, and accept it at anything more than how it reads is a jump to conclusions.

Generally speaking, many of the URLs which 32Counter shares with this board point to a video or article which contains 100 times more information and substance than 1000 of the verbal posts of many subscribers to this board.

I guess they can use some of proceeds from this new deal to offset the million dollar contract they gave to Will Wade. Could have signed him for half the price.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT