ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Guy

Still they’re a bunch of choke artists. Last two games were handed to them on a silver platter.

Of the current players who would you put your money on to make 3 free throws in a row in the final seconds of a game? Any? How about any player ever. Johnny of course.

Lots of missed calls if you're going strictly by the rule book. One ref missed the double dribble but the other had the stones to call an obvious foul. I've never been a believer of swallowing the whistle at the end of a game. If it's a foul in the first seconds of a game, it's got to be one in the final seconds. Give UVA credit for not ever quitting. Wow.

gosh, bennett did the same ole coaching trick of trying to milk the clock and then throwing up trash to let them back into the game but most coaches do that same thing with a lead and the game winding down. not sure of the % but bet very high of basketball refs calling a foul on what they think happened as opposed to what they actually saw happen, a very, very, tough game to call, as are most sporting events

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Auburn body and hand check all night ,correct foul call, before Jerome loses ball his jersey was grabbed like was happening all night. Very good coaching both teams , good adjustment by UVa start second half strong to rim.

Reactions: SpiderK
I must say, UVA had very favorable calls. The refs need to be consistent in the tournament. They tend to call things differently in the final four.

The foul on 3 pointer was correct but the refs just cannot miss a double dribble in that situation in the Final 4. But uva is at least a clean program & has classy coach while Auburn is the antithesis of that across board so possible karma.

The foul on 3 pointer was correct but the refs just cannot miss a double dribble in that situation in the Final 4. But uva is at least a clean program & has classy coach while Auburn is the antithesis of that across board so possible karma.
The refs missed the call period. But in all honesty how many fans and observers recognized the double dribble? The announcers missed it, the Auburn bench wasn't jumping up and down yelling "double dribble!! Correct me if I am wrong but how many like situations of that kind did you observe this past season? I don't recall one.

refs, umps, miss things, make mistakes, part of the game and yes, usually balances out over the course of a season. just get magnified in playoffs and in important contests and one can cry, whine, get angry but guess what, it is over, live with it and don't beat the kids or kick the dog.

The refs missed the call period. But in all honesty how many fans and observers recognized the double dribble? The announcers missed it, the Auburn bench wasn't jumping up and down yelling "double dribble!! Correct me if I am wrong but how many like situations of that kind did you observe this past season? I don't recall one.
Yes it seemed line a loose ball at that point. Also, as Fezz noted they didn't call the foul then, they waited until the second time. Great mentally tough players all around. Championship game should be a grind but I will love it.

Best tournament I've seen in many years. VA vs TT. Wow, TT just doesn't allow anything easy. They rotate and switch like a machine. Very impressive holding that team under 55. If State hadn't trooped to the line so many times in the last 10 minutes it would have been a 20 point game with State under 45.

Interesting in that I thought poor free throw shooting early on might doom UVa down the stretch, but in the end, it was free throw shooting that sealed the deal. The importance...hmm...of free throw shooting can't be minimized.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
Best tournament I've seen in many years. VA vs TT. Wow, TT just doesn't allow anything easy. They rotate and switch like a machine. Very impressive holding that team under 55. If State hadn't trooped to the line so many times in the last 10 minutes it would have been a 20 point game with State under 45.
Agreed the Sweet 16 weekend to yesterday have been some of the best games I have ever watched.

Not the only VCU Lamb to foul a three-point shooter in the NCAA's and lose the game (recall JeQuan Lewis foul vs SFAU).

Simply the gift that keeps on giving and bringing joy to Spider fans everywhere!

Auburn body and hand check all night ,correct foul call, before Jerome loses ball his jersey was grabbed like was happening all night. Very good coaching both teams , good adjustment by UVa start second half strong to rim.
Not sure why they abandoned Hunter going to the basket after the first 4 minutes of the second half. It was working well. Of course he did miss the free throws.

Not sure why they abandoned Hunter going to the basket after the first 4 minutes of the second half. It was working well. Of course he did miss the free throws.
Was wondering the same thing. That mismatch was there all night.

Yes it seemed line a loose ball at that point. Also, as Fezz noted they didn't call the foul then, they waited until the second time. Great mentally tough players all around. Championship game should be a grind but I will love it.
I knew it was a dd the moment it happened. Totally obvious and an absolutely horrible no call that a cyo ref would have seen. Not confusing at all, it hit off his own leg very obviously. The ref was right there. Terrible terrible no call and that ref should be embarrassed.

Observe a guy dribble a ball off of his leg and then retrieve it? Is that the question? If so Ive seen it happennoften but the player either keeps the dribble or plants and passes. You are right to say you dont often see the player double dribble the ball because it is so obviously wrong to do.

Good ole Virginia choked the end of the game just like the Spiders did over and over and.....no wait, UVa WON the game...
Never mind

The ending of the Auburn/UVA game reminds me of The Drive in football against Northern Iowa in the 2008 playoffs. 104 seconds , 62 yds, no time outs against a stout defense. Win or go home. One of those come from behind, improbable wins in college sports that you always remember.

Last edited:
It wasn’t the Hoo's fault.
Very true but it is not reasonable to diminish the horridness of that call. Everyone who considers themselves knowledgeable about bball saw that as a double dribble immediately. The double dribble is the easiest and most obvious infraction to see in the whole game. The fact that three refs missed it is unfathomable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT