ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Jones

I'M applauding the school for keeping in house incidents out of public opinion court especially since it did not involved some sort of real legal actions. School administration and team policies doesn't warrant any disclosure to speculation minds. Right now JJ image is what going to move him forward in any endeavors he will pursue so no need to tarnish it with boo birds in opinion court.

Last edited:
this is for my own info, nothing to do with Josh......when the honor council meets, decides the fate of a student brought before them, does that decision become public, in the the Collegian or is it private. not sure, just know that when a student was kicked out by the council, in my days as a student, we all knew.

The bottom line here is that the speculation (i.e. "court of public opinion") probably hurts Josh's reputation more than the actual facts of the case. There have been a number of posts here in this forum that have associated Josh with certain acts that could be derogatory to his character, and may very well not be true.

There are lots of things that take place on campus that have legal and moral implications, and involve both athletes and non-athletes. I feel that in many cases, the University is more concerned with preserving it's own reputation than it is about the reputations of the students involved. I believe that is a big reason why we don't hear about them, because when the word gets out about sexual misconduct, drug distribution, or ABC violations, it makes the school look bad.

It seems to me that JJ may have gotten a raw deal. But we will never know unless the actual facts come out. In the meantime, people here and in general will continue to speculate, and in most cases, assume the worst.

Yes, spinner, in my day if a student was expelled by the Honor Council, everyone knew that the kid was kicked out, and knew what the kid did.

But in most cases, the school is legally prevented from releasing such information.

It would be interesting to know how many non athletes on scholarship are dismissed in any given year, regardless of the reason.

does this mysterious title XI committee handle all male vs female situations or only those involving athletes? can one discover who created this committee, who sits on this committee and does it have any oversight or they can do as they please? this sounds like a committee that should have light shined on it from all aspects.

If no one is in possession of anything factual, why is this thread so long? I think it best, to let it go, and wish Josh the best for his future.

Reactions: fan2011
He gets the benefit of the doubt, which perhaps isn't the case if details are spilled. Let it go.

FERPA may not even apply in this case, I thought it only applied to institutions that get federal funding from the US Department of Education. Many private schools do not get money from the federal government.

And I'm not sure JJ gets any "benefit" of the doubt. It seems to me that in his case, the speculation appears to be worse than the reality.

And I'm not sure JJ gets any "benefit" of the doubt. It seems to me that in his case, the speculation appears to be worse than the reality.[/QUOTE]

+1. Don't see the "benefit" of the doubt for Josh, he has already been tried, convicted, and sentenced for whatever transgression he did. All some of us our questioning is if the punishment fits the crime and based on what those who are in the "know" regarding the situation, it appears Josh got an excessive punishment.

I don't need to know what Josh did, however, what I think is fair to ask in this forum, is was he treated fairly/equitably as to what other universities or players in similar situations have been treated. That seems to be the great question right now.

Nearly all schools accept Education Department funding, though yes, there are a few exceptions in a handful of very conservative religious schools. UR certainly does...they're quite proud of the number of Pell Grant recipients they have in the student body.

my concern, interest, at this point, is not about Josh or David but about future situations with our male athletes and this so-called title XI committee which is new and meting out their justice. feel it is in all of our interest to be educated on where it came from, when, who serves on it and what powers, oversight, does it possess.

^^Agreed. The recent proceedings of the "committee" seem more like a McCarthy era operation.

that is my fear, some group has been awarded power and now they are going to use it, right or wrong. an agenda, right or wrong. want to be educated on this by my school.

so ask them. but maybe it's not something that should be posted on a message board for the world to see.

not about the two individuals but about the committee. why should we just give it a pass? we should all want to know what is going on with our students, our school. this message board is about our school too.

sorry. lost track and thought we were still taking about Josh. but if you really want to know ... ask them.

it is about Josh and David, who both fell into the arms of this committee. i will ask and see if we have an open discourse on our campus or if this is carried on behind closed doors without any openness or transparency. get a bad feeling about this....

well, that article referred to the "HEARING BOARD" not a title XI committee, although title XI was mentioned several times. these types of issues are so complex and very little way of knowing who is telling the truth so very difficult to come to any exact solution if a he said, she said type of incident. having had a daughter on a college campus, am extremely aware of the probs almost every school faces numerous times per year. will probe to see if there is yet another board or committee not mentioned in the article.

Why would any woman who was raped first report it to the Title IX office? She should first report it to the police. The same goes for any alleged criminal activity. I feel like this committee doesn't need to exist. If someone has criminal claims to make against another student, they should be made to the proper authorities – not to a group of people on campus. To me doing it any other way trivializes the entire matter.

If a female student were shot by a male student, would she have to report it to the Title IX committee first? WTF.

so they can be convicted and booted off teams even if there is zero proof of anything and the legal system wouldn't even try them....that sounds fair..not.

not sure UR is to blame for what is going on, they are running scared of the feds on this, as are many, many, other schools. this is a hot issue nationally with lots of abuse on both sides, see the uva debacle this year, the duke lax fiasco and many others. if you have a daughter, you realize the probs she may face but if you have a son, he may get caught up in a complete cluster f$#k as well. between the drinking age being 21 instead of 18 and this sex deal, would not want to be in college administration at this moment.

I'm not even sure I understand how the school, or any school, has authority to institute a committee like this that has any type of oversight on potentially criminal matters. I'm sure there is something I'm missing. Otherwise it would be like a business setting up a committee and telling all of its employees, If anyone is assaulted, attacked, robbed or otherwise violated by a coworker, come report it to us and we'll decide where it goes from there.

Reactions: spiders13
All of it concerns me but this may be the most concerning: “Our role is building a criminal case,” McCoy said, “and once reported, we work with the commonwealth attorney to build the best case as possible for prosecution.”

R, that sentence frightened me as well. nothing about innocent or not innocent, only building a case.

Seems like this is an attempt to punish someone, pardon the cliche, when there is a report of smoke but no evidence to prove a fire.

I didn't realize this committee had the appropriate training to investigate and build criminal cases. Doubt they do. Perhaps they should leave this to the professionals within our police department and criminal justice system.

agree 97 but feel that the feds are involved now so the school, every school, better have some sort of process set up to at least make it look like they are trying.

All of it concerns me but this may be the most concerning: “Our role is building a criminal case,” McCoy said, “and once reported, we work with the commonwealth attorney to build the best case as possible for prosecution.”

Well McCoy is the Chief of Campus Police, not a member of the University Hearing Board. His job should be investigating and building a criminal case...

Sounds like a sort of Star Chamber to me. Very troubling. I wonder where the University got their legal advice that this is a good thing. Criminal matters should be left solely to the police and Commonwealth's Attorneys. If it falls short of probable cause to prosecute, the school should not have authority to discipline. I'm particularly concerned if the committee has the right to question the accused, who might incriminate himself by what he says, if as previously stated the purpose is "to build a criminal case." If I were a prosecutor, this process would possibly taint any chance I could proceed in the courts.

As Spinner stated, I'm sure UR is doing this in response to the Federal DOJ probe into many colleges "failures" to appropriately respond to instances of sexual assault in the past. This entire things seems like an extra judicial process though, that to me leaves the University in more vulnerable to lawsuits on both ends of the spectrum.

Suppose a women takes a complaint of rape to the board and they find no merit in her claim and thus nothing happens. Does that not leave the school really vulnerable to be sued by an accuser for not responding adequately to her claim of rape. Similarily, suppose someone is wrongly accused but found "guilty" by this committee, could that person not come back and sue the school as well.

This is why all of those should be handled not by the University but by the police and criminal justice system. We have a pretty darn good judicial system in our country. This just sounds like a really bad idea and it would seem like a great case for some constitutional law attorney to take on.

it is one thing to have a committee to determine if the honor code was broken, quite another to determine if a sexual assault, a felony, took place. agree that our deans,faculty and administrators should not be acting as attorneys, judges and jurors in these instances. again, am sure a reaction to the feds and am sure they have contacted and discussed with legal minds as to the best way to handle this kind of deal.

The bottom line here is that the speculation (i.e. "court of public opinion") probably hurts Josh's reputation more than the actual facts of the case. There have been a number of posts here in this forum that have associated Josh with certain acts that could be derogatory to his character, and may very well not be true.

There are lots of things that take place on campus that have legal and moral implications, and involve both athletes and non-athletes. I feel that in many cases, the University is more concerned with preserving it's own reputation than it is about the reputations of the students involved. I believe that is a big reason why we don't hear about them, because when the word gets out about sexual misconduct, drug distribution, or ABC violations, it makes the school look bad.

It seems to me that JJ may have gotten a raw deal. But we will never know unless the actual facts come out. In the meantime, people here and in general will continue to speculate, and in most cases, assume the worst.

Yes, spinner, in my day if a student was expelled by the Honor Council, everyone knew that the kid was kicked out, and knew what the kid did.
Keefusb, what makes you think josh is getting a raw deal? You've said it multiple times which seems awfully speculative given his full suspension and subsequent dismissal.

I'm not big on disclosing this kind of stuff, I don't think it behooves anyone having it out in the court of public opinion.

Title IX is federal and not new. Given UR's history fighting it, we should expect to be in front lines for being investigated. This is not about athletics. Potential downside here if we don't comply is end of times sort of stuff. We all know the Feds won't pull funding for a UVA or Duke, but we don't have that backstop.

Agree - thread should be off basketball board or closed.

There is more information on the private board for members to read and discuss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT