ADVERTISEMENT

JOC's Top 20 of the Mooney Era

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
I agree with you - I would have moved up Gonzo and Geriot.

I may have removed Garrett and Quinn, and maybe add someone like Butler - which I think was Mooney's first recruit and jack of all trades for those back to back NCAA teams. I noticed they mention Bucknor, which if mentioned cross-over players - I might add Steenberge, who I think was an All-A10 player as well as Mooney transitioned systems. But again - very nitpicky at that point.

Garrett too high.
Lindsay too low. Same with Gonzo.

Id put Tyler lower. Great player but when he was "the guy" didn't really elevate the team the way others did. Gonzo was an assasin. As much as I love KA, I don't think he has the same career without Gonzo. Our first NCAA team was far better than our Sweet 16 we just ran into the Sandman and St. Mary's. None of our other PGs had a SG with his range.

Cedric Lindsay IMO is the most unsung Spider of the Mooney era. In-between KA2 and KA3 seems to have been forgotten by many. People forget we were in the NCAA conversation before he blew out both knees and still played scoring over 20+ at VCU during that game and our season predictably fell apart from there. All time GOAT that does not get nearly enough credit for what he did. I still get sad thinking how that season unfolded.

Always hard to do these top lists because if you want to add someone, who do you take off? I was looking for Nate on there, and would have him over Kevin Smith.

Garrett too high.
Lindsay too low. Same with Gonzo.

Id put Tyler lower. Great player but when he was "the guy" didn't really elevate the team the way others did. Gonzo was an assasin. As much as I love KA, I don't think he has the same career without Gonzo. Our first NCAA team was far better than our Sweet 16 we just ran into the Sandman and St. Mary's. None of our other PGs had a SG with his range.

Cedric Lindsay IMO is the most unsung Spider of the Mooney era. In-between KA2 and KA3 seems to have been forgotten by many. People forget we were in the NCAA conversation before he blew out both knees and still played scoring over 20+ at VCU during that game and our season predictably fell apart from there. All time GOAT that does not get nearly enough credit for what he did. I still get sad thinking how that season unfolded.
Loved Ced. Great player and agree his injury was crushing. He always seemed to make clutch shots and big plays for us.

I would put Kevin Anderson as #1 and Harper #2. Burton is a little too high for me but still top 10. I would put Golden in top 5 given all the all-a10 accolades received and records broken (even if in a stretch of 5 full seasons playing). King at #8 is interesting but am okay with. It’s hard to put someone who was only here for 1 year in the top 10, but the impact he made last year was incredible and he won A10 POY for UR’s 3rd time in history. If King was here all 4 years, I think an argument could be made that he would’ve ended up #1.

My top 10:
1. Kevin Anderson
2. Justin Harper
3. Jacob Gilyard
4. TJ Cline
5. Grant Golden
6. Kendall Anthony
7. Terry Allen
8. Jordan King
9. Tyler Burton
10. David Gonzalvez

Gonzo was an assasin. As much as I love KA, I don't think he has the same career without Gonzo. Our first NCAA team was far better than our Sweet 16 we just ran into the Sandman and St. Mary's. None of our other PGs had a SG with his range.
Yep, I'm a big Gonzo proponent. No back down in that guy. The more I think about it, the KA/Gonzo back court really may be my number one all time UR back court.

Also agree about Ced, he could play with anyone - you could drop him into an ACC line up and most teams you are not losing anything, probably gaining. And he was a clutch performer too.

paywall, can anyone summarize or list the 20?

thanks.

JOC list. Although he summarized accomplishments for each one in the article.

Harper
Anderson
Cline
Gilyard
Burton
Golden
Anthony
King
Francis
Garrett
Terry Allen
Gonzalvez
Quinn
Lindsay
Geriot
Shawndre Jones
Bucknor
Kevin Smith
Brothers
Sherod

I think Ced was top 3 in the A10 in points, assists and steals when he got injured. I think he would have been A10 POY.

Reactions: urfan1
I would put Kevin Anderson as #1 and Harper #2. Burton is a little too high for me but still top 10. I would put Golden in top 5 given all the all-a10 accolades received and records broken (even if in a stretch of 5 full seasons playing). King at #8 is interesting but am okay with. It’s hard to put someone who was only here for 1 year in the top 10, but the impact he made last year was incredible and he won A10 POY for UR’s 3rd time in history. If King was here all 4 years, I think an argument could be made that he would’ve ended up #1.

Yeah I would reverse KA and Harper. Hard to put KA who finished as #2 all time scorer in 4 years, and led back to back ncaas incl s16 not #1 imo. Harper was lights out & consistent senior year but KA overall moreso. Love Harp but think he may be elevated due to NBA draft pick status. JOC did acknowledge "best" is subjective how u interpret "best". also may be why JOC has King higher, I'd have him lower. Just 1 year and we ended up losing NIT first game. He was tremendous shot maker, really fun to watch, but there's value in more years imo. If was just 1 year best he'd be up there with his co A10 POY. But at 1 year to me he's not above Gonzo and Lindsay.

My top tier (in no order other than KA is always first) is:
Anderson
Gonzalvez
Cline
Kendall
Gilyard
Golden
Burton

These 7 guys always produced in their careers.

Level 2a
Harper - took him some time to establish himself and even junior year, struggled with his shot. Senior year - lights out, every game. (in comparison with Burton, Harp scored 200+ fewer points, despite playing in 14 more games than Burton.)
Ced Lindsay - what could have been but for his injury.

Level 2b -
Jordan King. Lightning bolt of offense. One season, but what a season. As fun a single season as I can remember.

Level 3 - The other 10. All good players, occasionally very good but not transcendent or consistent enough to make my highest levels.

Agree that Cayo has to make it on the list, likely at expense of Smith for me.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Wait, he legit had Harper over KA as the number 1 in the Mooney era. I want some of what he was smoking. Harper had one really good year, KA's number is retired in the rafters. KA is number 2 in our all time scoring list, he scored more than 700 points more than Harper (or more points that Harper scored his senior year). A-10 POY, hit the game winner against Vandy. KA to me is in a class of one, Gilly would be my number 2 on the list. I would frankly have Harper probably in the 8-10 range.

Also agree with everyone else that Gonzo needs to be higher, Ced needs to be higher. I love Garrett too but he is too high. He was a very unique player for us, but he was never the dude on any team he played on. Please don't tell him, I said that though, he is also number one of my list of players who could kick anyone's else ass. Love you Darrius.

Surprised a bit about Cayo, I would have him had over Sherod. Sherod's career just got derailed because of injuries. Smitty is on the the list for his dunking and for his singular ability to engage the crowd. Smitty has the longest highlight reel of any Spider. Period, bar none.

Yep, I'm a big Gonzo proponent. No back down in that guy. The more I think about it, the KA/Gonzo back court really may be my number one all time UR back court.

Also agree about Ced, he could play with anyone - you could drop him into an ACC line up and most teams you are not losing anything, probably gaining. And he was a clutch performer too.
Of all the players Mooney has had trouble replacing or finding, I think a player like Gonzo is his biggest struggle. Tall lanky SG who can handle, defend and has range. Put him on any of those teams that were close to NCAAs and would elevate them to a NCAA lock. You could argue maybe Darien Brothers, but there is quite a gap in that talent level that isn't present with KA2/KA3/CL/JK, TEEJ/Grant, etc.

1. Anderson
2. Harper
3. Cline
4. Gilyard
5. Golden
6. Allen
7. Ced L
8. Shawndre Jones
9. K Anthony
10. Gonzalvez
11. Geriot
12. Brothers
13. Burton(tie)
13. King(tie)
14, Francis
15. Quinn
16. Garrett
17. Bucknor
18. Sherod
19. Andre "Goose" Gustafson (best on ball defender of Mooney era)
20. Buckingham

Reactions: GKiller
Of all the players Mooney has had trouble replacing or finding, I think a player like Gonzo is his biggest struggle. Tall lanky SG who can handle, defend and has range. Put him on any of those teams that were close to NCAAs and would elevate them to a NCAA lock. You could argue maybe Darien Brothers, but there is quite a gap in that talent level that isn't present with KA2/KA3/CL/JK, TEEJ/Grant, etc.
And I would say another player that's been tough to find is the Ryan Butler type. Not a prolific scorer, but a good shooter, ballhandler, passer and a great defender who with his length could guard all 5 positions on defense back when the defense was switching on every screen.

Reactions: GKiller
Agree that the much maligned Ryan Butler should get some consideration. That group of players, along with K Smitty, KA and Gonzo were all just so mentally tough. Butler worked himself into a very very good all around player - and he was not afraid to take and make a big shot or pass. And he hates VCU, and maybe according to reports on here not so nice to Richmond fans. But he was a winning player.

Kevin Smith was the ultimate tone setter and competitor. And to 97's point was just a highlight reel that could motivate the fans and his teammates. SMitty would definitely by in my top 20. Oh i see he is in JOC's but I'll have to take a stab at mine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT