ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Graham - 2023 Walk-On Commit

can't give partials in hoops or football.
Not in FBS football, but FCS is an equivalency sport. The 63 schollies can be divided among up to 85 guys, but in practice I don't think it happens very often for teams offering at or near 63. You'd rather aim to get the best 63 guys you can by offering full rides than try to get more guys with lower amounts of aid.

Just info and do not know the details of how it might work for basketball, but good friend's granddaughter has verbally committed to play golf at a public D1 university. They do not have a scholarship left for next year but have promised the last three years. Due to high academics record she will attend her freshman year on an academic scholarship and walk-on and the boosters will take care of room and board for freshman year, if I understood correctly and yes I could have misunderstood.

Have no idea what might be happening here, but however he is attending, welcome aboard.

I suppose I know the answer to this, but if the kid is a mathematical whiz, are we
allowed to give him any type of scholastic scholarship?

It's extremely difficult. The school has to demonstrate that the award has been made without any regard for athletic ability, so they would need to measure up to other students receiving similar awards.

The NCAA requires some combination of a top 10% high school class rank, 3.5 high school GPA, or 1270 minimum SAT for any student athlete's academic scholarship to not count, but obviously the bar for any sort of academic scholarship at UR is considerably higher than that.

It's extremely difficult. The school has to demonstrate that the award has been made without any regard for athletic ability, so they would need to measure up to other students receiving similar awards.

The NCAA requires some combination of a top 10% high school class rank, 3.5 high school GPA, or 1270 minimum SAT for any student athlete's academic scholarship to not count, but obviously the bar for any sort of academic scholarship at UR is considerably higher than that.
Thank you for your explanation.
Now, maybe he’s a mathematical savant that can shoot the hell out of a basketball, based on his
mathematical determination of the correct arch, speed,, and percentage of possibility of the shot
falling… LOL

Thanks for info SF. I wondered how it might work, so what you posted now makes sense.

The young lady I was referring to above has never had a B in high school in a private school her whole academic experience, so I would think she has to fall in your explanation above.
And yes, I did mention UR many times while she considered schools, because I knew she would breeze right past the academic requirements. She wants pre-med and on to medical school post grad, besides the school making her the offer was also her Mom's school, so I gave up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT