ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Graham - 2023 Walk-On Commit

MDspider8

Starter
Apr 11, 2018
This comes a bit out of nowhere - a few weeks ago, it was posted in the recruiting thread that we contacted Jack Graham, a 6’4 senior wing out of Rhode Island. He was originally pledged to High Point but decomitted after coaching changes. We apparently had also offered, as Jack has now committed to UR.

Welcome to Richmond, Jack!

Last edited:
Definitely has range as a shooter. Personally I’m happy the Spiders landed another freshman. Hopefully Mooney can weave together another strong team culture and you have to start with the young guys.

Reactions: plydogg
Not sure what to make of this. High Point was at the top end of where he was being recruited and after opening back up, it was all the same level still so I don't think it was that he exploded after signing. Coaching change there for sure, but never know when that happens who initiated the decommit.

While I have never seen him so much as take a dribble (highlights here and there excluded); I can't help but be worried this is just a signing to fill an open spot. We have seen this before and it generally doesn't go well!

No way he's a walk-on with over half a dozen scholarship offers. Lower-level ones, yes, but he's not turning all of those down to come to UR.

Feels a little like pistokache part deux but he has decent size for a guard and has some range on the 3 ball. I think given the openings we still had I’d rather fill the spot and hope he develops into a contributor.

Not sure what to make of this. High Point was at the top end of where he was being recruited and after opening back up, it was all the same level still so I don't think it was that he exploded after signing. Coaching change there for sure, but never know when that happens who initiated the decommit.

While I have never seen him so much as take a dribble (highlights here and there excluded); I can't help but be worried this is just a signing to fill an open spot. We have seen this before and it generally doesn't go well!
I’m excited for him, they said the same thing about Julius Ervin back in the day. He will have a chance to prove himself and us wrong, until then he deserves his place in the sun!! Go Jack, Go Spiders 🕷️🕷️🕷️

Welcome to the Spider family Jack!

No idea how he will turn out for us, but it's definitely not a good look to be taking shots at him in his commitment thread the day he announces. Plenty of other threads exist to critique Mooney's recruiting, which I've been plenty critical of, just feel this isn't the place or time.

I totally agree, you need to to find a whole to just into. You leave a bad taste in my mouth. Some people just don’t know what to say, sign of a lack of understanding and home training.

Reactions: VT4700
Reminds me of Goos , but looks like a better shooter. Does use either hand well and has quick release
and like Goos, some decent jumping ability.
Agree, looks like he has a good handle, which makes sense when considering his late growth spurt. He was likely the main handler on his teams when he was under 6'. His shot looks good, and he does look athletic. Should keep getting better and better.

High Point was at the top end of where he was being recruited and after opening back up, it was all the same level still so I don't think it was that he exploded after signing. Coaching change there for sure, but never know when that happens who initiated the decommit.
decommitted with the coaching change (not unusual) and clearly blew up with a 23/4/4 NEPSAC A championship game (6 3's) and a 42 point semi game (11 3's). grew late.

NEPSAC is great ball. AAA are the monster teams, but going 29-2 in A and being named Class A POY is nothing to sneeze at.

Graham added a bunch of PL level offers recently. clearly a big time shooter and has a handle. dunks easily ... which doesn't prove lateral athleticism ... but supposedly a good defender. I like the signing even if I didn't see another guard as a position of need. we need shooting. and this is a 4 year guy. welcome to Richmond, Jack!

tons of talent in NEPSAC.

sman, agree about Nepsac. Went to an A league game a few years ago. Bunch of D1 guys on the court, one guy went to Dayton, one UNLV, a few Patriot league, one P6.

Couple positives, when I watch tape I feel like I can see guys that are listed over or below their height. This guy looks 6'4 plus to me.
He seems to have kept the skill level to go along with growth spurt. Could be another Ryan Butler, looks a bit more athletic than that though. I agree with this move in general. Not thrilled with some of the portal names, a bunch just looked like a bad fit. Rather get Jack in here and hope he develops in a year or two and then has loyalty and sticks around then some of these portal names.

Welcome aboard Jack.

David Gonzalvez played at Notre Dame Prep in the NEPSAC. so that is a pretty high bar in terms of Richmond career. Something for Jack to shoot for. I know I had discussed for years that we should be pounding the NEPSAC circuit, lot of good players. I know we were in on some pretty high profile big man last 5-6 years, with the Ivies our main competition. Like Tanner, I do like getting guys that are playing vs high level comp in high school.

Jack was Class A POY

AAA Player of the Year: Elmarko Jackson (South Kent) committed to Kansas
AA Player of the Year: TJ Power (Worcester Academy) committed to Duke
A Players of the Year: Jack Graham (Milton Academy) committed to Richmond and Trevor Mullin (St. Sebastian’s) committed to Yale
B Player of the Year: Jayden Ndjigue (Rivers School) committed to UMASS

I don't think this kid is Kovien, Kovien was in a class all by himself. We all know Mooney's late spring signings out of the blue are usually of the roster filler variety, so I think it is a natural reaction to say here we go again.

That said, he decommitted in mid April and was immediately offered by 8 D-1 schools. Mainly Northeastern based schools that were probably pretty familiar with him already. So, there was instant demand for him among schools that were probably either recruiting him or recruiting players he played against.

I like that he was the NESPAC Player of the Year for his class, led his team to the state championship, scoring 42 in the semi-final and 26 in the final, against what appears to be some pretty good competition.

Also like that he went from 5'11 as a sophomore to his current 6'3, so late bloomer, maybe he grows a bit more. And you watch his game and I think he fits what we want to do on the offense. Really good shooter, he has some hops and can take it to the hole, his coach says he can guard multiple positions.

Does this all translate to an impact player in the A-10, I don't know. But I think it is worthy of a flyer, particularly as we sit here in late May with a couple open scholarships.

I like the signing even if I didn't see another guard as a position of need.
now that I look at it, positionally it's a good fit in his class.
Smith (PG)
Graham (SG)
Tanner (SF)

and the class before has Noyes (F) and Walz (C).

let's bring back Burton and a 6'8"+ guy and start working.

The fact that 8 teams jumped in with offers as soon he reopened his recruitment is a positive sign. Welcome aboard, Jack! We are glad to have you as part of the Spider family!

Reactions: spiderman
It was a legitimate question. We've had plenty of these happen before, a kid on no one's radar posts that he has committed to us. Usually it ends up that he is a walk-on. Sorry that I asked a question.
You should have done your research first, you are forgiven. We all are guilty in one way or another.

I'd be very surprised if that's accurate.
I wouldn't be shocked. He's attending a high school that costs $64,800 a year to attend. I assume he comes from money, in which case paying his way here isn't a big deal and maybe he would rather try to compete at a level higher than the other offers he had.

I wouldn't be shocked. He's attending a high school that costs $64,800 a year to attend. I assume he comes from money, in which case paying his way here isn't a big deal and maybe he would rather try to compete at a level higher than the other offers he had.
Please don't assum anything .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT