ADVERTISEMENT

Jack D'Entremont - Grad Transfer Commit

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Agree EL, no problem with the move. I think these walk ons add a nice element to the program. I used to chat with a local D3 coach when our sons were on same AAU team. He told me he would take as many guys like this as possible on the roster - as long as they understood their role coming in and would be positive teammates.

Reactions: gospidersgo
This is a very solid walk-on. While unexpected, I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually gets some playing time at the 3. Yes, the competition is certainly much lower at the ODAC, but college ball experience is still a big thing. Also big difference in terms of physical development of a 17-18 year old and 21-22 year-old. Lots of players go unnoticed at lower levels who can actually do well in D1 level. Jack Gohlke (guy who made 10 3s against Kentucky in NCAA tournament) was a grad student at Oakland after playing at D3 Hillsdale college and was Horizon league 6th man of the year last year. Jordan King was initially a walk-on at Sienna College before getting a scholarship.

15 ppg senior year, career 33% 3 point shooter, career 75% free throw shooter, 2 time ODAC selection. That’s a solid resume. At minimum, he will be a great addition to compete against in practice. At best, I can see him getting some meaningful game time minutes here and there.

Reactions: urfan1
This is a very solid walk-on. While unexpected, I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually gets some playing time at the 3. Yes, the competition is certainly much lower at the ODAC, but college ball experience is still a big thing. Also big difference in terms of physical development of a 17-18 year old and 21-22 year-old. Lots of players go unnoticed at lower levels who can actually do well in D1 level. Jack Gohlke (guy who made 10 3s against Kentucky in NCAA tournament) was a grad student at Oakland after playing at D3 Hillsdale college and was Horizon league 6th man of the year last year. Jordan King was initially a walk-on at Sienna College before getting a scholarship.

15 ppg senior year, career 33% 3 point shooter, career 75% free throw shooter, 2 time ODAC selection. That’s a solid resume. At minimum, he will be a great addition to compete against in practice. At best, I can see him getting some meaningful game time minutes here and there.

I hear what you are saying but we have 13 scholarship players, many of which are under classman who we want to retain. I find it hard to believe that we are going to be giving meaningful game time to a 5th year grad transfer who will only be with us this year.

We all are a bit obsessed with the Gohlke kid for what he did last year, most notably against Kentucky in the NCAA. I don't know how many D3 transfers there were last year to D1 and then how many of them made a significant impact at the D-1 level (particularly at the level we play), but I have to imagine that number is pretty darn small.

I think he will most likely get garbage time minutes with the other walk on and not much more.

I hear what you are saying but we have 13 scholarship players, many of which are under classman who we want to retain. I find it hard to believe that we are going to be giving meaningful game time to a 5th year grad transfer who will only be with us this year.

We all are a bit obsessed with the Gohlke kid for what he did last year, most notably against Kentucky in the NCAA. I don't know how many D3 transfers there were last year to D1 and then how many of them made a significant impact at the D-1 level (particularly at the level we play), but I have to imagine that number is pretty darn small.

I think he will most likely get garbage time minutes with the other walk on and not much more.
Realistically, you’re probably right. Still, as far as walk-ons goes, he’s pretty solid. Competitive practices, elevate the whole team. He has one year of eligibility left. Not sure what went into his decision making for UR, but with his numbers I’m sure lower level D1 programs would’ve given him more of a shot at playing time. Matt Becht, from D2 Southern NH, visited our campus as a transfer. 2 of our best players on the baseball team this past year were from D3. All I’m saying is talent is out there. Like you said, the A10 is much different level though. l wouldn’t have wanted to use a scholarship on him, if we had one available, but if he wants to come as a walk-on, great! Especially with his experience. This will be valuable on the team from a leadership role. So, is he realistically going to play meaningful minutes? Most likely not. But he can still contribute on the team as a practice player and, who knows, maybe he does see some game time.

Last edited:

If he's good enough to help us win, play him, just like anyone else. Win the game you're playing. Sitting a better player to play an underclassman who might transfer anyways doesn't make sense.

WSU's Jaylen Wells came from DII Sonoma State, averaged 12.6/4.6. Colorado had a DII kid several years ago who was their best player. Happens more than you might think.

Not unheard of for a walk on to get time at UR. Still the odds r low for all of them but I’d give this guy the best chance of the 4 this year.

Reactions: urfan1
When a kid comes out of high school and plays his freshman year
we don’t expect it. This kid is coming from a lot higher level and experience than high school.

I’d love to know the story how he ended up here. Was he attracted
by our business school? I can think of several reason we would put
him on the team.

Interesting note, though right handed shooter he almost exclusively shoots with his left on close shots, drives and layups in this clip. I used to be a bit like that in high school because I could jump a little better off my right foot and had a little element of surprise. Slow guy trick.

Obviously D’Entremont is an antonym for detriment…

I don't see him getting important minutes, but he is an intriguing walk-on. They’re def players at the D3 level that can contribute to D1 programs. UAA is littered with kids who don’t need athletic scholarships and are in it for the Academics. Especially when you go outside the revenue sports.

The ODAC is the best conference for hoops in D3 IMO. Had multiple ranked teams this season. Their non conference winning percentage was upwards of like 75% this year. I actually watch this guy carve up my Panthers one night and thought to myself it was one of the few guys who could play at the D1 level although not A10. His numbers vs. Davidson are pretty good considering who he was playing with.

I’m bias here but Chris Warren and Billy Wagner come to mind about dominant D3ers who went on to stellar pro careers.

I would say if he was putting these numbers up as a freshman he'd absolutely be getting some PT. He has some offensive moves but is a bit slow and I didn't see much defensively there in the tape. That being said excited to see us bring him on.

Speed is the main difference between a D3 player and a D1 player for sure, assuming similar physical size of course. Everything moves faster at this level. But the kid obviously has some talent.

I don't see him getting important minutes, but he is an intriguing walk-on. They’re def players at the D3 level that can contribute to D1 programs. UAA is littered with kids who don’t need athletic scholarships and are in it for the Academics. Especially when you go outside the revenue sports.

The ODAC is the best conference for hoops in D3 IMO. Had multiple ranked teams this season. Their non conference winning percentage was upwards of like 75% this year. I actually watch this guy carve up my Panthers one night and thought to myself it was one of the few guys who could play at the D1 level although not A10. His numbers vs. Davidson are pretty good considering who he was playing with.

I’m bias here but Chris Warren and Billy Wagner come to mind about dominant D3ers who went on to stellar pro careers.

I would say if he was putting these numbers up as a freshman he'd absolutely be getting some PT. He has some offensive moves but is a bit slow and I didn't see much defensively there in the tape. That being said excited to see us bring him on.
Happy to have him as a walk on. Watched him in high school and don’t expect him to get any significant playing time given the lack of athleticism in comparison to the A-10. He was a walk on for a reason. If there were other, similar teams he could have played for with a scholarship, I bet he would have chosen them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT