ADVERTISEMENT

In Flanders Field

spider fan

Spider's Club
Dec 4, 2003
Many of you are familiar with this poem and the tradition of giving out red poppies (crepe paper) to honor those who gave their all in service to our country. Memorial Day is a tribute to those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. It would be fitting to name Spiders who paid this price. I remember John Ranson, SAE, who died in Vietnam a few days before he was scheduled to return to the U.S. You can find more about him in the link below. In his memory and to all who paid the ultimate price the poem follows:

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial

spider fan..there are several names on that wall who were friends from Army training, high school,etc., but none that I am aware of who were at UR with me. However, one of my UR law school roommates was drafted(like me) and after OCS went to Nam and was seriously wounded. John Morrison, a KA at Hampden Sydney, (one of Billy Wayne's frat brothers), eventually recovered from his wounds and came back to UR to finish law school. He then entered law practice in Alexandria and became part of the committee that established the Wall. I expect that all of us who were in the military during the war have names on that wall who were friends that we think of on Memorial Day. The Wall is a great memorial to their service, sacrifice and memory. John Morrison, Mike Ferguson(our other roommate) and I got together at my house for a great reunion this Spring. I am sure that most veterans of Viet Nam who travel to DC make time to visit that moving tribute to those who did not come back.

war is hell, none of us really wants to be there but we do what we have to do. thanks to all the vets and those who made the ultimate sacrifice and a big shout out to those in harm's way currently, especially David, a green beret in afganistan, stay safe buddy

My age group was still in middle and then high school when you guys were on the frontlines. We knew (and the country knew) the war was wrong (your guys told us) and we (my age group) werent going to play. My year was the last year the Govt drew numbers. I remember sitting in drafting class and exchanging info about the lottery. RS and "underground" publications were read cover to cover. Canada was openly discusse. Our school had a large number of kids from military families and there was no anomosity but a mutual understanding. My dad is a WWII vet. To me Memorial Day is a time to remember those who died and question the necessity of armed conflicts since WWII.

shoot, WWII was discussed and many, maybe a majority, did not wish to get involved in europe again. roosevelt had pearl harbor, johnson had the gulf of tonkin and poof, we are at it again. saw the reasons for vietnam and at that time was ok with them and if we had stayed the course, they were on their knees and ready to throw in the towel, at least according to some of their generals. if we get involved in stuff, keep the politics out of it. tough to go anywhere and fight with your ankles taped and one hand tied behind you.

We live in a time when fewer people are associated with the military as about seven tenths of one percent currently serve on active duty. Fewer and fewer of our Congress are veterans. We owe a hugh debt of gratitude to those who have stood up for freedom and today pause and remember those who paid the ultimate price in service to country. "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

So Gen'l if the US had 'won' the War in Viet Nam would be the difference today? The Martinsville furniture factories would have been moved 20 years earlier?

it was one of numerous entities that the communists were attempting to invade, take over. one can look at anything in hindsight and see the warts but at the time democracy felt threatened by this aggression and even the UN stepped in on the korean peninsula. had the attack on pearl harbor had not take place, would we all be speaking german and japanese? respect your view of viet nam but many people died and were placed in prisons after we departed because communist regimes have to erect walls, kill to remain in power, who wants to live without freedom. if the gulf of tonkin, ahem, not taken place, haha, johnson would not have been able to escalate us into that deal.

Great job with "In Flanders Field". I do not normally hear that stated very often south of the border and for them it is usually around remembrance day in November.

We honor our vets for their great service to our Country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT