ADVERTISEMENT

GW in Foggy Bottom Game Thread

What run??? We were down 17-10 when Nelson entered the game. Was that early deficit his fault? When he left 6 minutes later, we were down 5. Then, at the end of the 1st half, he came in when we were up 3, and we went to halftime up 2. In the 2nd half, I think he only played a couple minutes and we got outscored by 4. Wow. What a game changing run that was. So, he played maybe 2 of 30 minutes in the 2nd half and both OTs, we give up 72 points in those 30 minutes, and you blame Nelson for this 4 point, 2 minute run GW went on? Unbelievable.
Go back and watch the game…I never said Nelson was to blame for anything that’s you. I said what Adams said to a coach as he scored 3 straight times on drives. It was a team effort on the guards but when Dji guarded Adams and Bishop the only points that were scored was a 3. What I am saying and you obviously can’t read or comprehend was Dji defended his tail off NEITHER of the guards got off on him. REWATCH THE GAME and stop googling stats. I’ll make it simple the KISS method…Bishop scored ZERO when Dji was guarding him and Adams scored exactly 3 pts while Dji was guarding him…3 that comes before 4 and after 2 and certainly isn’t 35! So yeah he played his tail off you can’t stand it, yeah he’s a PG you can’t stand it. Some of things I said earlier in the preseason coming to fruition and you can stand it. Seek medical attention. Imagine a grown man trying tell a father what type of player his own child is🤡🤡but hey you’ve seen all you need to see😂 Hopefully you can teach yours Lacrosse or soccer bc basketball may not be in your strong suit.

• Love
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Matt Grace was outstanding! I'm not one of his biggest supporters, but, he has been very good offensively the last 2-games. Bigelow had a big night, but I cringed when he shot the 3-late. It was a prayer not answered. I thought Bailey played pretty well. He is def my starter. Nelson was absolutely abused when he was trying to play defense. I just don't think that he can be on the floor much at this point. Burton put in offensive effort in 2nd half, but, he has shown himself to not be a successful "game winner" type of player. He has failed on the last shot or two far more times than I can remember.

The Spiders kept trying to come back, but, bottom line, we ALL KNEW how it was going to end. It is Mooney 101. Mooney coached teams repeatedly lose in close, end-of-game situations. After 18-years of repetitiveness, it must just be bad luck, or a coincidence. Surely doesn't have to do with the way he prepares or coaches the team.
Did the Spiders lose in any of the 4 A-10 Tournament games or vs Iowa? Those games seemed pretty close to me. Just wondering.

Reactions: VT4700
Did the Spiders lose in any of the 4 A-10 Tournament games or vs Iowa? Those games seemed pretty close to me. Just wondering.
Some people need to lessen their expectations on this board. It is okay to be optimistic (I am), but also need to be realistic. Did Mooney miss Quinn's layup at the end of the first OT? Did he continue to go 1 for 2 from the line?

No, he didn't miss Quinn's layup. But he did coach this team into an overtime loss and 107 points surrendered against a team that just got destroyed by Duquesne and a team that frankly isn't very good. And he has coached this team to a 1-8 road record and continued to display a lack of urgency or preparation in keeping with years and years of similar problems, and he has coached it to a 21-20 conference record in the last three years.

Go back and watch the game…I never said Nelson was to blame for anything that’s you. I said what Adams said to a coach as he scored 3 straight times on drives. It was a team effort on the guards but when Dji guarded Adams and Bishop the only points that were scored was a 3. What I am saying and you obviously can’t read or comprehend was Dji defended his tail off NEITHER of the guards got off on him. REWATCH THE GAME and stop googling stats. I’ll make it simple the KISS method…Bishop scored ZERO when Dji was guarding him and Adams scored exactly 3 pts while Dji was guarding him…3 that comes before 4 and after 2 and certainly isn’t 35! So yeah he played his tail off you can’t stand it, yeah he’s a PG you can’t stand it. Some of things I said earlier in the preseason coming to fruition and you can stand it. Seek medical attention. Imagine a grown man trying tell a father what type of player his own child is🤡🤡but hey you’ve seen all you need to see😂 Hopefully you can teach yours Lacrosse or soccer bc basketball may not be in your strong suit.
You always go so overboard. You post so angrily. You have no idea who I am, who my kids are, and if they played sports. As a Dad, you say he played his tail off. As a fan of the team, I disagree. Maybe effort wise. I won't question that, but I saw zero offensive production. You get on me for stats and then you continue to throw this phantom they only scored 3 on Dji nonsense.

I still see nothing that tells me he is a PG. What I have seen is him often struggle with his handle when picked up full court 1 on 1. This has led to multiple turnovers this year. I haven't seen him drive to the left much and D2 guys can do that with ease. I've seen very little penetration, and setting up others. I certainly haven't seen any kind of outside shot, which makes life tough for any PG at any level. Did you not see them playing off of Dji at times last night? Do you not think that is a factor? How can a true PG play 29 minutes in a game where his team scored 105 and have 1 assist?

Anyway, guys post critical comments of our players all the time. You included. I still don't understand why I can't do the same.

You always go so overboard. You post so angrily. You have no idea who I am, who my kids are, and if they played sports. As a Dad, you say he played his tail off. As a fan of the team, I disagree. Maybe effort wise. I won't question that, but I saw zero offensive production. You get on me for stats and then you continue to throw this phantom they only scored 3 on Dji nonsense.

I still see nothing that tells me he is a PG. What I have seen is him often struggle with his handle when picked up full court 1 on 1. This has led to multiple turnovers this year. I haven't seen him drive to the left much and D2 guys can do that with ease. I've seen very little penetration, and setting up others. I certainly haven't seen any kind of outside shot, which makes life tough for any PG at any level. Did you not see them playing off of Dji at times last night? Do you not think that is a factor? How can a true PG play 29 minutes in a game where his team scored 105 and have 1 assist?

Anyway, guys post critical comments of our players all the time. You included. I still don't understand why I can't do the same.
Nobody cares. You are clueless. Go away.

Wait… I was told he was given those layups and the defense just let him go by🤔🫠 this can’t be right…interesting
Was he not in that highlight? Did that look like good D to you, or was that don't foul him D? Whatever. You will be you, and continue to take shots and post things like the cute little lacrosse comment, and I will be the one that continues to gets crapped on for I guess not agreeing with every single biased comment you make. You know, down 7 with 30 some seconds left there, we kind of needed a 3.....but whatever. We know that will never happen. You have all but told us that.

No, you took another cheap shot at a player saying he lacked a skill that DII players can do then I posted a video from literally last night contradicting that point. But I forgot, this message board is supposed to be about you, so you were probably right like you are about everything else.

I’ll admit to being wrong about something, I thought Luvsbugs was the worst poster in SpiderNation history, followed by those UNI guys, but I was wrong.

Of all the annoying things about last night's game was the fact that that Quinn was essentially iced for so long in between his free throws while they fixed the basket (and, by the way on that, a cheap shot from our Twitter account--schools whose staff work in glass facilities shouldn't take potshots at other school's equipment malfunctions).

If he had shot the second one right away and made it, most of the other annoyances would not have occurred.

it does, however, add to our "weird ways to lose" mystique. "The basket broke so we missed a free throw and ended up losing in double overtime.":rolleyes:

I was hoping for a foul for his sake bc it’s a 1 footer from your 7 footer for win. But yes it looked like the ball started coming loose out of his hand a bit. It’s happened b4 when he spins. Nice move but he’s had trouble completing anything after those.

The goose foul was bad & I get he’s lost benefit of doubt but u have to guard hard there u have to & bishop made good move & finish. Still 17 secs left up 1 at max.

As I mentioned above the underrated sequence was Burton missing Ft to not put us up 6. Habit of missing late ones. Then we have advantage defensively of them not being in bonus, u know they want to bang a 3 he sags in lane on weak side D, he can’t recover & they get good look for 3 top of key. Now it’s 2 pt game when maybe should be over.

But I don’t blame any 1 individual player for loss, GW made some tough shots too to their cred. But I always think reasonable to look at the most tenured coach in the A10 & why things keep repeating. Little surprised Roche didn’t get subbed in late for FTs. Dji & Goose made em but risky.
The Goose foul you almost excuse because “you have to guard hard”? Huh? In a tight game with a 3 point lead you either knock him on his a$$ and don’t allow him to get a shot off or you simply DON’T FOUL! That is a basic lesson learned in elementary school games. No excuse.

The 'Cuse game there was very little scoring in the last couple minutes of regulation. I do recall Tyler missing a free throw in the last minute or so that would have been the game winner though.

But yes Charleston we had a 3 point lead, Goose fouls their best shooter on a 3 point attempt and he sinks all three to force OT where we lost. Last night up 3 very late, Goose fouls Bishop for the And-1 which ties the game up and we lost in 2OT again.
Goose cost us two big games. He needs to sit the bench and let the young guys play.

Of all the annoying things about last night's game was the fact that that Quinn was essentially iced for so long in between his free throws while they fixed the basket (and, by the way on that, a cheap shot from our Twitter account--schools whose staff work in glass facilities shouldn't take potshots at other school's equipment malfunctions).

If he had shot the second one right away and made it, most of the other annoyances would not have occurred.

it does, however, add to our "weird ways to lose" mystique. "The basket broke so we missed a free throw and ended up losing in double overtime.":rolleyes:
Strongly agree with all of this - the basket absurdity plus the raspy overly loud announcer were insanely annoying ..

Reactions: Spiders4ever
No, you took another cheap shot at a player saying he lacked a skill that DII players can do then I posted a video from literally last night contradicting that point. But I forgot, this message board is supposed to be about you, so you were probably right like you are about everything else.

I’ll admit to being wrong about something, I thought Luvsbugs was the worst poster in SpiderNation history, followed by those UNI guys, but I was wrong.
Contradicting my point? I said "that much". I didn't say never. Maybe you need to read better. And, sorry, not sure how one highlight in garbage time would contradict a point.

Goose cost us two big games. He needs to sit the bench and let the young guys play.
Good thing that wasn't me that said this about someone. No worries for you, though. You won't get any angry replies.

Incredibly tiresome, repetitive, constantly bickering with anyone and everyone nightly (and daylight hours too), then slip into the martyr when you called out.

Have never in my years on this board put anyone on Ignore, but I shall you. A pity. You have a very good basketball mind. Can't stomach the unending argumentativeness (is that a word?)

Peace and good bye.

Contradicting my point? I said "that much". I didn't say never. Maybe you need to read better. And, sorry, not sure how one highlight in garbage time would contradict a point.
God you're obtuse; you followed that by saying “and D2 guys can do that with ease”. Guess I am just dumb and need to “read better”.

I’ll try harder, all mighty and all knowing message board king.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Goose foul you almost excuse because “you have to guard hard”? Huh? In a tight game with a 3 point lead you either knock him on his a$$ and don’t allow him to get a shot off or you simply DON’T FOUL! That is a basic lesson learned in elementary school games. No excuse.

Not sure they r teaching knock him on his a$$ in elementary school. Think what u say is an oversimplification. I said it was a bad foul but of the 3 plays I referenced Goose play was the most difficult imo. I want us contesting on D. I see that play happen in bball games a lot & even late. Saw it in a game Fri night. Grace came over to contest too. Honestly my first reaction was Grace fouled him. & I wasn’t upset at Grace either. Bad foul but it came in course of playing tough man on man D which I appreciate. Was Sam Mennenga to blame on the And 1 to Grace to give us the A10 championship. Not to me. Difficult spot guarded him tough couldn’t be soft & just got beat. Idk maybe Davidson fans crushed him I wouldn’t have tho.

Goose played 46 mins last night I don’t think he’s going to 10 mins like some of the nonsense I read on here sorry.

Not sure they r teaching knock him on his a$$ in elementary school. Think what u say is an oversimplification. I said it was a bad foul but of the 3 plays I referenced Goose play was the most difficult imo. I want us contesting on D. I see that play happen in bball games a lot & even late. Saw it in a game Fri night. Grace came over to contest too. Honestly my first reaction was Grace fouled him. & I wasn’t upset at Grace either. Bad foul but it came in course of playing tough man on man D which I appreciate. Was Sam Mennenga to blame on the And 1 to Grace to give us the A10 championship. Not to me. Difficult spot guarded him tough couldn’t be soft & just got beat. Idk maybe Davidson fans crushed him I wouldn’t have tho.

Goose played 46 mins last night I don’t think he’s going to 10 mins like some of the nonsense I read on here sorry.
It was a bad foul. It’s why we lose tight games. It wasn’t the only reason.

REWATCH THE GAME and stop googling stats. I’ll make it simple the KISS method…Bishop scored ZERO when Dji was guarding him and Adams scored exactly 3 pts while Dji was guarding him…3 that comes before 4 and after 2
Well, Adams made a 3 on Dji to make it 69-61 and then in OT, he hit a 3 on Dji to make it 87-82. And, the next possession he drew a foul on Dji and made both FTs. Would you like me to find more, or can you admit your 3 points nonsense was exactly that....a bunch of nonsense. Just look at how you post. It is unreal. And, your bias makes you wrong pretty much all the time.

Well, Adams made a 3 on Dji to make it 69-61 and then in OT, he hit a 3 on Dji to make it 87-82. And, the next possession he drew a foul on Dji and made both FTs. Would you like me to find more, or can you admit your 3 points nonsense was exactly that....a bunch of nonsense. Just look at how you post. It is unreal. And, your bias makes you wrong pretty much all the time.
Wrong..again…he hit only one! Dji was screened he came over the top and that turned into Matt’s guy with the help, who Matt closed out on but was a little just too late…KISS method- that’s why it’s called team man to man genius. Oh no Dji fouled a guy…I’m going to call the whambulance for you… If you think that’s on Dji then yeah…how do you say it?? “I’ve heard all I need to hear” Take your own advice from the other thread and leave the board and leave the basketball talk to the adults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong..again…he hit only one dummy! Dji was screened he came over the top and that turned into Matt’s guy with the help, who Matt closed out on but was a little just too late…KISS method- that’s why it’s called team man to man genius. Oh no Dji fouled a guy…I’m going to call the whambulance for you…stop being a weirdo, oh wait too late! If you think that’s on Dji then yeah…how do you say it?? “I’ve heard all I need to hear” Take your own advice from the other thread and leave the board and leave the basketball talk to the adults.
LOL. Dji was on him the whole time and that wasn't much of a screen, but sure, now it's Grace's fault. Never Dji's fault for anything.....got it. As for the foul, it was you who wrongly bragged about Dji only allowing 3 points all game to his guy. When your guy beats you and makes FTs because you fouled, who gave up the points? Let me guess..
....Nelson' s fault? Grace's? And, now you go the dummy and weirdo route. All acceptable with everyone of course.

And, if I leave the board, congrats, you will be the main reason. No, not because of the back and forth with you, because I have done that with others and sometimes like a good back and forth. And, not because of the arrogance and the lack of class you show with the constant "if you knew basketball" talk and all the attacks and name calling you send my way. I have been name called and attacked plenty and can handle that. But, the reason I would leave is because of how the board rallies around you and attacks me while doing so. How you and others can get on every other player and no one cares, but I say anything about Dji, the board constantly rallies around your obnoxious posts toward me. It's just one of the strangest and most pathetic things I have ever seen on a message board and would put anyone in why bother anymore mode.

Last edited:

If this was the first time, Goose made this mistake in an end of the game situation, he probably doesn't get crushed. But it's the 4th this year, hence why people are bringing it up. I'm not saying bench him, but to have him at an end of game situation right now is playing with fire.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
as our best perimeter defensive player, Goose has to be on the floor there. I don't know if the coaches have talked to him about these errors or gone through film with him. but yes, after this many he needs to improve on the mental part of situational defense.

GK, I absolutely want him to contest. but when he's beat and playing from behind the player, that's no longer a contest. Grace contested without fouling. swiping at his shoulder from behind was never going to result in a miss or a block. it was a bad foul. but he played a good game.

Reactions: gospidersgo
as our best perimeter defensive player, Goose has to be on the floor there. I don't know if the coaches have talked to him about these errors or gone through film with him. but yes, after this many he needs to improve on the mental part of situational defense.

GK, I absolutely want him to contest. but when he's beat and playing from behind the player, that's no longer a contest. Grace contested without fouling. swiping at his shoulder from behind was never going to result in a miss or a block. it was a bad foul. but he played a good game.

Fair. Said my 1st impression was Grace fouled, not that he did, & had he fouled I would have understood it. I've said it was a bad foul about 10 times now. I just put that sequence behind the Burton & Quinn ones.

If this was the first time, Goose made this mistake in an end of the game situation, he probably doesn't get crushed. But it's the 4th this year, hence why people are bringing it up. I'm not saying bench him, but to have him at an end of game situation right now is playing with fire.

yeah right u have been crushing him since offseason, u have been trying to bench him since then too. Lot of ppl predicted his mins would go way down. A select few of us said no way. he's averaging 30 and just played 46. He'll be back in there at end of game situations like that too. Hopefully it works out better.

Wrong..again…he hit only one dummy! Dji was screened he came over the top and that turned into Matt’s guy with the help, who Matt closed out on but was a little just too late…KISS method- that’s why it’s called team man to man genius. Oh no Dji fouled a guy…I’m going to call the whambulance for you…stop being a weirdo, oh wait too late! If you think that’s on Dji then yeah…how do you say it?? “I’ve heard all I need to hear” Take your own advice from the other thread and leave the board and leave the basketball talk to the adults.

He CANNOT throw the ball AND catch the ball

-- Gisele

He CANNOT throw the ball AND catch the ball

-- Gisele
Sesame Street What GIF by Muppet Wiki

"His 3 pt shot was atrocious,"
Yes... yes it was 😂 As soon as it left his hand I was like..... I'm praying Coach doesn't call him in today and take his scholly.
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

Didn't take his scholly, but he did get the famous and patented "immediate Mooney hook"

Reactions: SpiderDad75
HEEEYYY, that's my Gisele line. I do hear she is available now :):):)
Actually...

That line always reminds me of my encounter with her.
She was down here visiting the Verlanders' and having a girls' night out with Kate.
The exact line I heard was, now how does it go...
Oh yeah, they were both disappointed that I couldn't "pitch and catch at the same time".

I'm just glad we never steered too far off the topic of sports, unlike this thread...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT