ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly minutes

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
This might not be a popular opinion, but why in the heck does Gilly get 39 minutes every single game. Over the last 5 games, he is shooting 23% from 2 and 13% from 3. He wasn't exactly lighting it up before that. For an offense centered around being able a great shooting team who can knock down open shots, having a PG who can't score is a huge liability. Other teams have picked up this, they now give him space and know that when he does drive, he is probably not going to even look to score but rather dish out.

I know he is a great steals artist out there and plays with tremendous heart, but to me probably the biggest reason we are 9-6 right now is because our All A-10 PG is not playing anywhere up to his potential. Maybe sometime on the bench will do him well.

He’s not producing offensively but what’s the alternative? More time for Wilson? The only other active roster guys who have played PG are Gus and Dji and I don’t think Nelson is going to burn the redshirt.

Reactions: Spider2020
There was one play when he stole the ball (great play) at mid-court, then had a run out on offense and he pulled up from three (missed) while Burton was streaking toward the basket - not the smartest play from someone who had played as many games as he has.

He’s not producing offensively but what’s the alternative? More time for Wilson? The only other active roster guys who have played PG are Gus and Dji and I don’t think Nelson is going to burn the redshirt.
I hear you, but Gilly is a misfit for Mooney's offense which requires the point guard to be a primary scoring option. Think of his PG's, Kevin Anderson, Lindsey, Kendall Anthony, SDJ. All of these guys could light up the scoreboard and now he has a PG whom offensively is not that at all, but yet he treats this PG just like these other scoring PG's. It isn't working.

I disagree that Gilly is not the problem. I think he is one of the primary problems. It's not Gilly though, its Mooney usage of Gilly that is the issue.

Bottom line is we cannot start 3 guys who aren’t shooting well. We know Cayo is not a shooter, Wilson and Gilyard have not been shooting well. When teams don’t have to defend us to the 3 point line, it clogs the lane for Grant and Cayo. Just not sure what the solution is other than Gilyard playing better - we don’t really have any other options at point guard that have proven they can shoot.

We just are not a good shooting team when push comes to shove. Some games we are great, other games we suck at it. There's no consistency. I'd rather be slightly above average every game as a shooting team -- at least you could scheme around that. But we rely on the three so much that when we aren't making them, we're doomed. It's our default. And when we miss them, it's usually a one and done possession since we can't get offensive rebounds.

Bench him. Bench all 5 year guys. Start the rebuild right now.
Over the top. But Mooney cannot keep rolling him out there for 39 minutes a game. Give him 30, until his offense comes around. Let Dji, Goose, Crabtree take up those extra minutes. All 3 are deserving of more minutes and Gilly is deserving of less right now.

Gilly adds huge value with his ball handling skills on offense. He is terrific at assists and has one of the best assist to turnover ratios in the NCAA. We need him on the court. Not sure what is going on with his shooting. It might be psychological. Hopefully he gets out of his shooting slump soon.

We just are not a good shooting team when push comes to shove. Some games we are great, other games we suck at it. There's no consistency. I'd rather be slightly above average every game as a shooting team -- at least you could scheme around that. But we rely on the three so much that when we aren't making them, we're doomed. It's our default. And when we miss them, it's usually a one and done possession since we can't get offensive rebounds.
And the irony is that almost all of Mooney's System is based upon offense & good shooting. Let's face it, our defense & guarding the paint is an afterthought.

I hear you, but Gilly is a misfit for Mooney's offense which requires the point guard to be a primary scoring option. Think of his PG's, Kevin Anderson, Lindsey, Kendall Anthony, SDJ. All of these guys could light up the scoreboard and now he has a PG whom offensively is not that at all, but yet he treats this PG just like these other scoring PG's. It isn't working.

I disagree that Gilly is not the problem. I think he is one of the primary problems. It's not Gilly though, its Mooney usage of Gilly that is the issue.
Jacob has demonstrated he is very capable of scoring. I think Blake the last two years was terrible for JG’s perception of his role and confidence scoring the ball.

He has to recover the mentality that he’s both facilitator and scorer.

Completely agree with the above. And I don't blame Blake or even Jacob for that -- is just the way things went. Jacob deferred to Blake and now he's not quite able to go back to what he was before. I thought he had gotten back to that in the NIT last year, but we haven't seen signs of it this year. It's a shame, because he was a dominant scorer for us early on in his career.

Completely agree with the above. And I don't blame Blake or even Jacob for that -- is just the way things went. Jacob deferred to Blake and now he's not quite able to go back to what he was before. I thought he had gotten back to that in the NIT last year, but we haven't seen signs of it this year. It's a shame, because he was a dominant scorer for us early on in his career.
Agreed, he has an absolute fear of going inside other than to pass, and has zero confidence in his outside shot. He gets mad at himself in warmups for missing so many 3’s.

Reactions: GKiller
Bench him. Bench all 5 year guys. Start the rebuild right now.
Not a bad idea to bench the current starting 5 and let them watch 5 guys that care play for a while. Little humility may go a long way here. They are embarrassing themselves either way.

Go big. Bailey, Gustavson, Crabtree, Burton, Golden. Might as well have some fun with it (unless the goal is now the NIT).

Thinking out loud, I wonder how many games this 5th year group has won in which they were the underdogs? Maybe SF has that in his notes somewhere....

Reactions: SpiderK
Had the same thought, Rick. And take it a step farther: How many times in Mooney's entire career here have we done that? And how many of those times came when Kevin
Anderson was in the team?

I know we have an ok record against P5 schools, but that's because we play Vanderbilt and their ilk. We never upset anyone in the a10 tournament. We beat lower seeded teams and lose to higher seeded ones, almost religiously. We upset vcu a few times when they are ranked, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

But generally speaking, everything about this program is incredibly predictable.

Had the same thought, Rick. And take it a step farther: How many times in Mooney's entire career here have we done that? And how many of those times came when Kevin
Anderson was in the team?

I know we have an ok record against P5 schools, but that's because we play Vanderbilt and their ilk. We never upset anyone in the a10 tournament. We beat lower seeded teams and lose to higher seeded ones, almost religiously. We upset vcu a few times when they are ranked, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

But generally speaking, everything about this program is incredibly predictable.

I knew your were going to say that! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
There was one play when he stole the ball (great play) at mid-court, then had a run out on offense and he pulled up from three (missed) while Burton was streaking toward the basket - not the smartest play from someone who had played as many games as he has.
No, but he is human. I hope he uses that play as a teachable moment.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT