ADVERTISEMENT

Gill press conference at 1:30

This is somewhat minor, I suppose, but we come off looking like a high school outfit by having Gill standing during the press conference, no podium or table, with Bob Black and Scott Day holding a bunch of microphones for him. What the hell was that?

Yeah that was a bit weird. I think I heard him jiggling his keys in his pockets the whole time. I agree the biggest "news" was the 3 extensions over 4 years and that he and Rocco have a great relationship. He deflected and went back to his talking points for virtually the rest. Now some of that is to be expected.

It's all about the next hire.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Possible that the extensions were automatically triggered by getting to the playoffs? I seem to remember hearing that at some point.

Political speak and very good at dodging questions. Sure you and Danny are good friends and look forward to seeing each
other once a year. Now we heard it a commitment to top of line FCS football. I hope that is the one thing he said that is the
truth!!! He did not mention once that he and Crutcher negotiated hard with Rocco, he just said I spoke with him this morning and
he told me he was going to DE. Woody and JOC were drilling him on some points that the same answer was given but liked
the question about facility upgrades time table. "Yes we have 3 things we are working on, locker room, weight room and one other
thing." Was this recently decided? "No, we have been raising money for the past couple of years"

Interesting this was done standing up with no podium or sitting at a table. Not very impressive at all.

He kept mentioning that the future is bright and that the school has had tremendous success since 2000. This is not his best day. The enhancements had been "rendered", which means drafted by an architect, for 2 years.

Only a few legitimate questions asked at that "press conference" too. Lane asked a couple good ones, but no one pressed Gill for answers when he clearly avoided other questions.

Ole Gill isn't much of a public speaker and he needed a TelePrompTer. He sure hee'd and haw'd when asked about the search company after saying the search was initiated and interest was coming in.

I really want to change my avatar to an empty red golf shirt.
I wonder if KG clicked the heels on those red shoes three times.

No Power 5 school is going to want to even think about Gill as an AD. That press conference was embarrassing

Let' see if he had 3 extensions in the last 4 years and his contract would have run out in 2017, he must have had a 2 yr contract when he started. :rolleyes:

I really want to change my avatar to an empty red golf shirt.
I wonder if KG clicked the heels on those red shoes three times.
thanks for link!!!
He was clearly ill prepared and when asked about how they were looking into finding a coach he didn't have a clear answer. Kept to his narrative about winning program. I'm this case it might be inspite of real support from the AD department
However the most telling thing was his answers regarding the elusive additions to infrastructure. Stumbled on how long plans were on table and my favorite was he didn't know what the other improvements other than locker room and weight room. Hmm not the type of answer from a AD in control of his department. Clearly he is not strong and in a school like Richmond you need a strong AD who fights for ALl of his sports. Waste of time and ladies and gentleman that's how Danny and his coaches AND players feel about him. Nuff said!

Reactions: sdspider
His written statement again makes the "9 playoff appearances since 2000" claim. I count only 8. Does he really care so little not to check his own facts?

The interesting thing about the press release is the way it does not mention specifically that Rocco is leaving for another coaching job but instead says we thank him for his service. If you had not been following this saga you would have to guess what was going on.

As an avid newspaper reader, I have to say that I agree with Woody about 15% of the time. The other 85% I think he is way off the mark and being a jerk. This article is in the 85% in my opinion.

As an avid newspaper reader, I have to say that I agree with Woody about 15% of the time. The other 85% I think he is way off the mark and being a jerk. This article is in the 85% in my opinion.
Any of guys think John O'Conner fed this article to Woody to print? Woody would know none of this and O'Conner wouldn't have the guts to say it out loud. Just wondering.

Much like Rocco, Woody and O'Connor want Richmond to be this powerhouse football program that wins 5 straight football titles and builds massive state of the art facilities so that they can rise in their prestige for covering the program...just never gonna happen

Much like Rocco, Woody and O'Connor want Richmond to be this powerhouse football program that wins 5 straight football titles and builds massive state of the art facilities so that they can rise in their prestige for covering the program...just never gonna happen

I get that with a lot of "sports" guy. They want a part of the shine.

after watching this embarrassing presser, clear to me what danny put up with. gill is an unprofessional, no experience buffoon. he does not qualify for AD at the high school level. when we spore for about 20 mn. at costal Carolina 2 yrs. ago knew he was so far removed from boone/miller

Also not a positive that gill came from a school that didn't have football. It clearly isn't a priority to him and maybe not even a priority of the university.

Mack is in the house today!
Since he's graduating, he's got nothing to lose - I hope Crutcher and BOT talk to him.

Look we are all upset and I am pissed as anyone. Reading Woody's editorial made me realize that some of this fault falls on us the fans also. Yes,
what the hell has our marketing dept really done to put fans consistently in the stands to see good football? But why does our season ticket holders in
the Blue seats not fill them each week? Woody was so right about the fans commitment to seeing good football. After UVA we should have been clamoring
for tickets each week.

There is NOTHING wrong with the size of our stadium, or the level of play or the opponents who play UR. It is everything wrong with the fans not filling seats and
staying committed to the tickets they buy. I am sorry if I am pissing off some season ticket holders, but I don't give a rats patute! If we could fill City Stadium
half way with lousy parking and not great tail gating areas, then why can we not take advantage of beautiful lots and a scenic campus. Woody hit the nail on the
head for it is not the schools commitment to football, but us the fans. We got to get off our butt and support these programs with more then just our financial donations.
If you were the team or Rocco, what do you think they thought when they turned and looked at a supposedly sold out stadium to 50% full.

Shame on us.

Carolina, my 100% attendance record is feeling a little hurt. But you're absolutely right.

I don't know what the answer is, once they've sold out a game. Some thoughts:
Shut down the family fun zone from kickoff to halftime. There are hundreds of people down in that end instead of in the seats. I'm guilty of it too when I've got the youngsters.
Make it more painful to miss games. I'm talking against my own self-interest here, I know, but they could just make the STs more expensive. Or, impose some kind of incremental penalty for each season ticket not scanned that's automatically charged to the credit card.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT