ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

So then Dayton, right? 🤣

The coach’s goal in this crazy day and age would be to get the best team together, a new team every year. You can’t rely on Dji coming back, but you’d be dumb not to welcome him back based on his past year. And at the same time, if you fill his spot, so be it, that’s the game in the portal world.

So then Dayton, right? 🤣

The coach’s goal in this crazy day and age would be to get the beat team together, a new team every year. You can’t rely on Dji coming back, but you’d be dumb not to welcome him back based on his past year. And at the same time, if you fill his spot, so be it, that’s the game in the portal world.
😂😂 def not

Why did u tell me to stop and let his go??? You even liked the post he made after the one that told me to shut the **** up. Come on, man. Do better.

I get the bias and always hope our guys stay, but don’t agree that Burton or Fore made the wrong choice. They both graduated with Richmond degrees and chose to get a graduate degree somewhere else, be it for a different experience, a different degree program, more money, etc.

I think a lot of people on this board can relate to making a similar decision for grad school, though admittedly not with the basketball element involved. I wish they had all stayed (and hope Dji stays), but don’t begrudge them for wanting to try something new/take more money/etc.
This is just not right.

There’s no way Burton left because he wanted a better grad program. I suspect the same for Fore though less clear.

similarly if golden left for Kentucky, he would’ve done so for basketball reasons. I’m glad, and I’m sure he is too, that he decided to stay at UR.

But I suppose we can ask ask SpiderDad. Is the primary reason Dji is entering the portal to find the right masters program or to find the right basketball fit?

This is just not right.

There’s no way Burton left because he wanted a better grad program. I suspect the same for Fore though less clear.

similarly if golden left for Kentucky, he would’ve done so for basketball reasons. I’m glad, and I’m sure he is too, that he decided to stay at UR.

But I suppose we can ask ask SpiderDad. Is the primary reason Dji is entering the portal to find the right masters program or to find the right basketball fit?
For the record, I focused more on different experience/more money. And I would still say that Burton and Fore didn’t make the “wrong decision”.

But I too would be interested from SpiderDad (if it’s ok to answer), what part of wanting to go to the tourney next year is factoring into the decision.

You can call it adapting, but I call it possibly hurting your program. If you are fine with guys entering the portal and maybe coming back, no worries, but that is not how I would want to run a program. One player is a bad enough look, but what about 2 or more? Maybe you think it would have been fine for us as a program if Bigs and Quinn entered the portal last year and said they might come back, but I wouldn't want that at all. So we can agree to disagree here.
Gonna disagree with this one and agree with the Spiderman one that immediately follows it.

First off, I think it can actually help your program and your culture in certain circumstances. So a loved and well respected (by his teammates) graduating 4 year Senior who goes in and talks to the coach about entering the portal and why he might want to etc. and that person being told - - hey you are one of the family and will have a spot here if you decide that's what's best for (with some understanding that this is true as long as a spot is there but cant hold it) to me promotes the family culture and care for players we are trying to sell to both recruits and our existing players. The message isn't "hey everyone go out and see what you can get" as VT implies - - its hey let me give this program my best and they will do the same for me and players will absolutely notice and understand.

That's totally different than a kid coming in after his freshmen year and just looking to grab the next best opportunity for himself or a guy who transferred in looking to enter the portal again after being here a year etc. or some selfish kid who the players don't love any way just using UR for his own good.

So as Spiderman said, its case-by-case and while its well documented I am not a big Mooney guy, I will say this - - - he's been excellent at team culture and buy in etc. (including with DJII) and I'd totally trust him to make these decisions on that case-by-case basis with little to no chance it opens up doors that every other kid in the program will be portaling with an option to stay on the table. First and foremost, DJii has this option, if and only if, Coach gives him this option. DJII didn't just decide this was an option for himself and throw it out there and somehow UR is stuck with it. All the others won't line up to do the same as you fear because Mooney won't give them the option. I guarantee you that the players on the team know DJii's goals etc. know the conversations he had and what was said in both directions. This is not a precedent setting move. Its just this situation, at this time, for this guy. Every situation will be different!

DJii's time here is a total win/win for school and player. Good kid, perseveres through adversity and struggles, emerges as key player and leader (on and off floor from what I hear) on a team that significantly over achieves etc. etc. Let's not undo that for either side with talk that that his having UR as an option (which was discussed with the coach) is somehow bad for the program because it sets some mythical precedent that will have all these other players entering the portal to check things out every year with an option to come back. Mooney needs to do all the same things to keep guys out of the portal as he did before this DJII situation. Nothing more and nothing less regardless of whether DJII uses the option or simply moves on.

Given the source here and the history with DJII in these forums and the blatant attack on Dad in this string, , this quoted part above and earlier posts reads a little bit to me like criticizing DJII's decision as being disloyal and hiding behind saying saying this is "just what you'd do as a coach" instead of coming right out and saying it. You seem mad that DJII apparently has stated this is an option for him - one that Mooney absolutely gave him. If this is just what you'd do as coach, where is the post critical of your favorite coach for what he HAS IN FACT DONE doing this. If you in fact believe its bad (or possibly bad since you used the word possible) for the program, where is negative post on Mooney or "Mooney screwed up" post? A post that focuses on the coach's mistake (that you in your mind admittedly think he has made ) and not one that certainly seems to read like you are unfairly down on the kid (again!) for reasons that honestly have and continue to elude me.

To DJII and Dad - - a sincere thank you both for your time at the school and on the court (for DJII) and here in these forums (Dad) and as members of the family. You should be proud of all that happened while part of the UR family and and I hope you in fact are - - - detractors notwithstanding. Best of luck with the next stop in life (especially if we are fortunate enough to see that deferred for one more year).

Gonna disagree with this one and agree with the Spiderman one that immediately follows it.

First off, I think it can actually help your program and your culture in certain circumstances. So a loved and well respected (by his teammates) graduating 4 year Senior who goes in and talks to the coach about entering the portal and why he might want to etc. and that person being told - - hey you are one of the family and will have a spot here if you decide that's what's best for (with some understanding that this is true as long as a spot is there but cant hold it) to me promotes the family culture and care for players we are trying to sell to both recruits and our existing players. The message isn't "hey everyone go out and see what you can get" as VT implies - - its hey let me give this program my best and they will do the same for me and players will absolutely notice and understand.

That's totally different than a kid coming in after his freshmen year and just looking to grab the next best opportunity for himself or a guy who transferred in looking to enter the portal again after being here a year etc. or some selfish kid who the players don't love any way just using UR for his own good.

So as Spiderman said, its case-by-case and while its well documented I am not a big Mooney guy, I will say this - - - he's been excellent at team culture and buy in etc. (including with DJII) and I'd totally trust him to make these decisions on that case-by-case basis with little to no chance it opens up doors that every other kid in the program will be portaling with an option to stay on the table. First and foremost, DJii has this option, if and only if, Coach gives him this option. DJII didn't just decide this was an option for himself and throw it out there and somehow UR is stuck with it. All the others won't line up to do the same as you fear because Mooney won't give them the option. I guarantee you that the players on the team know DJii's goals etc. know the conversations he had and what was said in both directions. This is not a precedent setting move. Its just this situation, at this time, for this guy. Every situation will be different!

DJii's time here is a total win/win for school and player. Good kid, perseveres through adversity and struggles, emerges as key player and leader (on and off floor from what I hear) on a team that significantly over achieves etc. etc. Let's not undo that for either side with talk that that his having UR as an option (which was discussed with the coach) is somehow bad for the program because it sets some mythical precedent that will have all these other players entering the portal to check things out every year with an option to come back. Mooney needs to do all the same things to keep guys out of the portal as he did before this DJII situation. Nothing more and nothing less regardless of whether DJII uses the option or simply moves on.

Given the source here and the history with DJII in these forums and the blatant attack on Dad in this string, , this quoted part above and earlier posts reads a little bit to me like criticizing DJII's decision as being disloyal and hiding behind saying saying this is "just what you'd do as a coach" instead of coming right out and saying it. You seem mad that DJII apparently has stated this is an option for him - one that Mooney absolutely gave him. If this is just what you'd do as coach, where is the post critical of your favorite coach for what he HAS IN FACT DONE doing this. If you in fact believe its bad (or possibly bad since you used the word possible) for the program, where is negative post on Mooney or "Mooney screwed up" post? A post that focuses on the coach's mistake (that you in your mind admittedly think he has made ) and not one that certainly seems to read like you are unfairly down on the kid (again!) for reasons that honestly have and continue to elude me.

To DJII and Dad - - a sincere thank you both for your time at the school and on the court (for DJII) and here in these forums (Dad) and as members of the family. You should be proud of all that happened while part of the UR family and and I hope you in fact are - - - detractors notwithstanding. Best of luck with the next stop in life (especially if we are fortunate enough to see that deferred for one more year).
Appreciate that Philly 🙏🏼❤️🕷️🏀

I could not have been more clear here...."if I were the coach". My goodness, pretty much every post from me on this says "as a coach, I......". Even the one you posted from me with your reply above says "that is not how I would run a program". So, yes, I am not agreeing with Mooney if he allows guys to come back after entering the portal.

As for my REPLY to SDad, you, like most everyone else on here, always gets on me for what I say BACK to him, but gives him a free pass regardless of what he says and how he says it. I guess I'm supposed to just accept everything he says and never reply back because he's a player's Dad? I have sat back and taken A LOT of SDad's taunts and jabs on here, and continued to praise Dji for having a great year, but sometimes I hear enough where I do want to reply back to him. You guys see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear.....like your post wondering why I didn't criticize Mooney when I have on pretty much every post with this.

I think many of us were expecting this move with Dji.
Hoping we don't have any unexpected transfers and we can have a good portal season. We had a lot of players exceed previous seasons production this year. We will need that again this season. I think guys like Walz, Tyne and Roche could do this. If Soulis is healthy I think he can be a surprise.
I'll be very interested to see where he lands and what type of role that brings.

We are supposed to applaud you for a couple of complimentary posts about Dji after ripping on him for 3 years? Alrighty then!
He lives in an alternate world. He’s crapped on Dji since we got here. He still thinks he right on everything. Imagine a guy telling a parent what his kid is and isn’t…🤡 behavior. Imagine telling the dad he was wrong on things that were told too and seen in practice the last 4 yrs and then tell him, ah ha you’re wrong. Imagine thinking posting a video of your son working on his 3pt shot and thinking it was solely about someone else and not bc he wants to get better…🤡 behavior. I also have taken critical comments but just not from a hater who constantly bashed Dji. I have really enjoyed the board and met some really good Spiders from here but that guy is just plain silly. Now let me get back to enjoying Key West and Cozumel and stop waisting energy on that guy.

Last edited:
He lives in an alternate world. He’s crapped on Dji since we got here. He still thinks he right on everything. Imagine a guy telling a parent what his kid is and isn’t…🤡 behavior. Imagine telling the dad he was wrong on things that were told too and seen in practice the last 4 yrs and then tell him, ah ha you’re wrong. Imagine thinking posting a video of your son working on his 3pt shot and thinking it was solely about someone else and not bc he wants to get better…🤡 behavior. I also have taken critical comments but just not from a hater who constantly bashed Dji. I have really enjoyed the board and met some really good Spiders from here but that guy is just plain silly. Now let me get back to enjoying Key West and Cozumel and stop waisting energy on that guy.
After a long season, some "me time"

Nothing wrong with that.

BTW- Have you guys ever met Mr. Kelsey?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Allow me.to say I will be glad when you are gone from here. It was most of your ridiculously biased " my son is all world" comments that made me "crap on Dji". Imagine thinking your son is better than everyone. Imagine saying you can handle criticism, and then gojng off on someone if they aren't making all positive comments about your son. Funny how you can criticize players, but no one can ever criticize Dji. Funny how people on here can attack some of our players relentlessly ( 97 with Grace, several posters with Sal, and a few other posters who do nothing but get on our players) and all is fine, but no one can attack Dji because his Dad was on the board. Congrats on finally being a little more accurate about minutes in year 4, while I was right in years 1-3. So, 75% accuracy for me, 25% for u. But, whatever, keep being you.

Allow me.to say I will be glad when you are gone from here. It was most of your ridiculously biased " my son is all world" comments that made me "crap on Dji". Imagine thinking your son is better than everyone. Imagine saying you can handle criticism, and then gojng off on someone if they aren't making all positive comments about your son. Funny how you can criticize players, but no one can ever criticize Dji. Funny how people on here can attack some of our players relentlessly ( 97 with Grace, several posters with Sal, and a few other posters who do nothing but get on our players) and all is fine, but no one can attack Dji because his Dad was on the board. Congrats on finally being a little more accurate about minutes in year 4, while I was right in years 1-3. So, 75% accuracy for me, 25% for u. But, whatever, keep being you.

I don't know what all that means, but Dji definitely doesn't suck. Far from it. He played great this year. And, got his degree. Big time congrats and good luck to him.

I don't know what all that means, but Dji definitely doesn't suck. Far from it. He played great this year. And, got his degree. Big time congrats and good luck to him.
Maybe back to Wake - they had a decent year this past year and just missed the NCAA tourney. He left there when Manning was fired, but maybe seeing how the new coach has done - he returns? Helps get them back in NCAA tourney?

Maybe back to Wake - they had a decent year this past year and just missed the NCAA tourney. He left there when Manning was fired, but maybe seeing how the new coach has done - he returns? Helps get them back in NCAA tourney?
No, I remember sdad made some comments about Forbes, doesn't seem like would be an option. But if sdad and Dji changed their mind - I promise not to have SF look up said comments :)😎

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
*cough*

Reactions: spider23
That’s my bad, sometimes I forget about the age differences in here and wrongly assume people are in my same generation. I thought it was funny but this one bombed big time, for sure.

Wake's top 4 guards return and all 4 were really good from 3 with high volume. Guards really need to knock down the 3 at that level. I think they need to at any level. Offense can go stale at times with non shooting guards out there. Just ask UVA.

Sallis 75-185 ( 40.5%).
Miller 38-103 ( 36.9%).
Friedrichsen 50-137 (36.5%).
Hildreth 40-114 ( 35.1%).

By the way, I almost didn't post the post above because it could be seen as a negative by some people. But, you know what.....screw that. We should be able to post things without worrying about that. I remember saying the same thing about Khwan Fore and his lack of 3s and all heck didn't break loose on here when I did. It got old a long time ago worrying about what we should post or not post. And at the same time I was wondering if I should post something or not, I see all these negative posts on here about some of our players with no angry feedback at the posters for saying them. So, whatever....I will post what I want, when I want. Put me on ignore if it bothers you, and fan1 can let me know if I say something unacceptable.

Reactions: spider23
*cough*

Too funny SF. I can remember some things, if not the exact sequence of when Gonzo threw an oop to Kevin Smith against VA Tech.

Arrogance and know-it-all attitude historically gets little respect from most of Spidernation and
you are correct, we have the ability to block.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Good luck to Dji. All the local sports casters believe he would be best served to stay at UR. They agree has a unique game that Mooney has utilized. They are unsure his game would fit bigger programs.

As a general proposition, A Dad on a message board is difficult and dicey. I think some of us on this board played college sports, have or had college athlete sons, and Stay far away from this stuff. SDAD is a lot tougher than Us.

Good luck but I hope you all change your mind and remain a spider. I agree with the pundits the DJI is in the right place, the grass is always greener, pardon the cliche.

Time for your meds now. Sleep well.

8legs liking my meme is like one guy in the back laughing at the joke while the rest groan. I’ll take it, even if it was out of pity lol

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Three weeks ago, there were serious questions about whether Keatts was even going to be mentioned for the NC State job next year.
Did I hear that a 2 year extension kicked in for winning the conference or going to the Dance????

NC St is still alive & winning in my bracket.

Did I hear that a 2 year extension kicked in for winning the conference or going to the Dance????

NC St is still alive & winning in my bracket.
Yeah, the ACC tournament championship earned him a 2-year extension until 2030 and a $400k/year raise.

Making the Sweet Sixteen would have added another year, but his contract only allows for a max of 2 years of extensions per season.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT