ADVERTISEMENT

Denver to join the Big East in Lacrosse.

NyNjSpider

Starter
Sep 7, 2009
It's been talked about that the Big East needed another team in the conference for the AQ. It looks like its going to be Denver. It doesn't mean we couldn't also join, but it doesn't mean Richmond is the AQ solution.

Denver has become a great program....but all that BE talk of geography (with Creighton..and now Denver?!?) was a bunch of bull.

This post was edited on 5/30 3:17 PM by NyNjSpider

http://marquettetribune.org/2013/05/29/sports/denver-to-join-big-east-as-lacrosse-only-member/

Denver,a private school with a $400m endowment,fits the BE profile.Believe they were in the ECAC.Might be a way for them to jump on the BE bandwagon for all D-1 sports and leave the WAC.Hockey is their big sport.Not sure if they have a football team.Has to be that Johns Hopkins said "no" to BE LAX.That would have been logical.But JHU has no other D-1 sports.Curious that the BE broke from the purity of a basketball only conference.Maybe it was because this is what Marquette wanted...BE LAX just got a BIG bump in its RPI by this addition.
It helps that conference get immediate national notoriety.Denver or Hoyas should battle it out for AQ.

This post was edited on 6/3 12:25 AM by 32counter

Hopkins evaluation of its LAX status

"Basketball-only" doesn't really mean they only care about basketball. It just means no football. They want to support as many other sports as they can for their members, and if taking in an affiliate member for a sport helps them do it, no problem there. They got a great addition in Denver for lax.

Yep , it is so bad to be in a league that will still put 2-3 teams every year in the NCAA. I cannot imagine where your brain and emotions were during our CAA days. The A10 will not be as strong as the BE but still a very good league. Lastly i cant even believe that I am discussing this with you again. I am sure you are a very smart guy but you are out in "la la" land on this subject. You seem to be a great Spider fan but take a good hard look at this.

This has no bearing on us--Denver needed a new conference, they're a new power in the sport and it wasn't going to be Johns Hopkins so they grabbed Denver.

Fan - if all you want them for is one sport - LAX - Johns Hopkins would have been a great get. Division III in everything but one sport. A fantastic university, but a one trick pony in athletics.

R&B, hope you are right but with temple, x, etc. , the A-10 has had years, since we have been on board, where we were a one bid league but got bailed out because x sucked in the tourney. we are not nearly as strong now as then so probably are going to struggle to get two some years, much less three.

ETSU, Mercer, and VMI officially joining the SoCon on July 1, 2014, pending VMI approval today.

Wonder if this will have any affect on lax...maybe SoCon will try to wrest control from Atlantic Sun?

A-Sun lax composition for next year will be:

- Atlantic Sun (3): Jacksonville, Mercer, High Point
- SoCon (1): Furman
- Big South (1): VMI
- A-10 (1): Richmond

But, barring any further moves or additions, once the shuffle happens after next year, affiliations will be:

- SoCon (3): Furman, Mercer, VMI
- Atlantic Sun (2): Jacksonville, High Point

Originally posted by SFspidur:
ETSU, Mercer, and VMI officially joining the SoCon on July 1, 2014, pending VMI approval today.

Wonder if this will have any affect on lax...maybe SoCon will try to wrest control from Atlantic Sun?

A-Sun lax composition for next year will be:

- Atlantic Sun (3): Jacksonville, Mercer, High Point
- SoCon (1): Furman
- Big South (1): VMI

But, barring any further moves or additions, once the shuffle happens after next year, affiliations will be:

- SoCon (3): Furman, Mercer, VMI
- Atlantic Sun (2): Jacksonville, High Point
Thought provoking questions that we wouldn't have to be asking if we continued to sponsor 2 sports that the A10 sponsors.

Just a brilliant move.

This post was edited on 5/31 4:39 PM by MolivaManiac

It's amazing -beyond any logic I can understand. The Big East goes to Denver to get it's much needed LAX only member with John Hopkins in their backyard. Today Johns Hopkins joined the Big Ten as an LAX member only. Denver has a nice up and coming program, but John Hopkins has been a mainstay in eastern LAX for over 50 years, winning many NCAA, LAX championships.Hopkins is to lacrosse what Notre Dame is to football. Oh, well!

I think Hopkins turned Down the Big East in favor of the Big 10. Denver was a back up choice.

As was mentioned in the 2nd post,JHU said no to BE.Maryland wanted JHU in Big 10 LAX.

D-1 LAX is comprised of 63 teams:Below is the computer rating.

BE LAX

9.Denver(ECAC)
20.Nova
22.St Johns
34.Gtown
43.Providence
52.Marquette(Independen)

B1G LAX

3.Hopkins(Independent)
5.Maryland(ACC)
12.Penn State(CAA)
14.Ohio State(ECAC)
44.Rutgers(BE)
54.Michigan(ECAC)

A-Sun

51. Jacksonville
58. Mercer
62. VMI
60. High Point
N/A Furman
N/A UR

This post was edited on 6/2 11:56 PM by 32counter

Computer ratings

Well, there goes the conspiracy theory that the addition of our Lax program was to backdoor a Big East basketball birth for us. I have heard though that the Big East really is against adding any universities with Men's Soccer and Track programs though.

One thing is clear; the ASun is by far the worst lacrosse league. But hey, enjoy the sunshine!

Phote is righ Ulla. You don't take a program and throw it to wolves if you can help it.
I see us ending up in the Big East or CAA in lacrosse.

It's kind of interesting, and maybe it's always been this way, but so many schools seem to be
members of more than one conference with different sports.

Annap, I was only joking a bit. Hopefully we end up in the Big East for all sports save for football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT